The online racing simulator
Springs and car balance
(10 posts, started )
Springs and car balance
OK so I was playing with colcob's setup analyzer today, and looking at the tab which shows how adjusting damping affects the balance of the car under different conditions. I couldn't see any way to get the car to understeer less while trail braking, but oversteer more when adding throttle on exit. Is is possible to set this up using some combo of ARBs and springs? I've been messing with the ARBs for a while but can't get the sort of behaviour I'm after.
That's more of a damper thing. I don't think overall spring balance will have the effect you desire.
is the suspension analyzer for s2 out already ?
No I was using the S1 one, but I figured the stuff relating to how the dampers affect handling is probably not all that different, in principle anyway.
Ok, i'm not the god of physics here, but i'm fairly fluent...
I'd think you'd want to play with the differential instead
to get the power on/off behavior you are looking for.

From what i know, trail braking is used to increase oversteer
in the first place, so i'm unsure how you could tune the setup
to do the opposite. Except from messing with the differentials that is.
My first reaction would be to increase the 'coast' locking and lower the 'power' setting.
The dampers only affect transients, e.g. as you begin to trailbrake from previously braking while going in a straight line. However trail braking is usually continually a transient phase (unlike most other situations, you don't sit there with a certain degree of lock and brake applied).

So basically dampers are important. However they are only altering the car balance of the suspension, so with loads of understeer from the springs, the dampers may only reduce this understeer rather than creating oversteer.

It's not completely clear what you are asking, but in order to get additional understeer from the dampers during trail braking, you need the compression/bump damping higher than the rebound, which isn't going to feel great elsewhere on the track, particularly over bumps.
I hadn't thought about changing the diff. I'm trying to set up the MRT for the race at AS Cadet later today, so I thought with so little power and such a twisty track a viscous diff. probably makes more sense. I'll try messing with it though.

Cheers
Quote from Fonnybone :
My first reaction would be to increase the 'coast' locking and lower the 'power' setting.

I no this is an old thread but it interests me. Surely less understeer is wanted into the corner and more oversteer out. Then surely both coast and power should be up? so the wheels are locking more under both circumstamces adding oversteer both times?
Coast locking adds understeer when off the throttle and can help with slide recovery.
Quote from thisnameistaken : I couldn't see any way to get the car to understeer less while trail braking, but oversteer more when adding throttle on exit

But understeer less and oversteer more are the same thing, and the reason you cant do that is because those two transients are the direct opposite of each other. So whatever effect your damping setup has on one transient, it has the opposite effect on the other transient, so the best you can do is set it to be balanced during both and add your oversteer that you want with a spring/arb setup.

I suspect the behaviour you describe as a problem is more do with brake balance and driving technique during trail braking (the only way you really understeer during trail braking is if you are locking or near locking the fronts), and diff setup or basic balance under power. I wouldnt try and solve it with dampers.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

Springs and car balance
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG