The online racing simulator
#1 - _r0b_
is MRT5 power correct? only 64bhp!
The horsepower of the mrt5 seems far lower than it should be at 64bhp@~8000rpm. On the cars website it says the 600cc L4 engine is from a 2001 yamaha YZF (I presume they mean an R6) which has a turbo fitted. The power output of a standard YZF-R6 from 2001 is over 108bhp@~13000rpm (without ram-air effect).

Surely this is a mistake but the car only seems like it has 64bhp in game and i would imagine a turbo R6 engine would make around 165bhp@~13000rpm not 64bhp@~8000rpm!

Even the old air-cooled 600cc L4 suzuki bandit motors make over 80bhp in a mild state of tune. What is the deal with this car why is the engine so weak?
I have no clue about whats the problem, but i cant imagine a MRT5 with 150+ bhp
try it with LFSTweak, wheelspin all the way!
Quote from _r0b_ :The horsepower of the mrt5 seems far lower than it should be at 64bhp@~8000rpm. On the cars website it says the 600cc L4 engine is from a 2001 yamaha YZF (I presume they mean an R6) which has a turbo fitted. The power output of a standard YZF-R6 from 2001 is over 108bhp@~13000rpm (without ram-air effect).

Surely this is a mistake but the car only seems like it has 64bhp in game and i would imagine a turbo R6 engine would make around 165bhp@~13000rpm not 64bhp@~8000rpm!

Even the old air-cooled 600cc L4 suzuki bandit motors make over 80bhp in a mild state of tune. What is the deal with this car why is the engine so weak?

It's based on a Thundercat, not an R6. It would be down slightly on power compared to the R6, but then with a turbo fitted it would then tower above it.

The power at 8000rpm still baffles me though, being a high revvin' 600c engine, it should still be able to go upto 11k atleast. I'm not sure what the Thundercat bounces at but surely it's higher than 8k.

My guess is, FSAE rules & regulations only allow a certain amount of grunt?

Edit: Just found some specs on the Thundercat...

Quote from bikez.com :
Model: Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat
Year: 2001
Category: Sport touring

Displacement: 599.00 ccm (36.55 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line four
Stroke: 4
Power: 100.00 HP (73.0 kW)) @ 11500 RPM
Torque: 66.00 Nm (6.7 kgf-m or 48.7 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM
Bore x stroke: 62.0 x 49.6 mm (2.4 x 2.0 inches)
Fuel system: Carburettor
Valves per cylinder: 4
Gearbox: 6-speed
Transmission type final drive: Chain

#5 - _r0b_
Yeah i forgot about the thundercat, thought it was deleted when the R6 came out. Even so thats 100bhp without a turbo.
#6 - _r0b_
The only thing strange i can find about the MRT5 is that it runs on E-85 Ethanol which has an octane rating of 100-105 so this shouldn't give a performance penalty, should it?
FSAE puts heavy air restrictors on the engine
Bikes aren't deleted. They just don't manufacture them any more. Even so, you can still pick up a Thundercat (quite a common choice for new bikers wanting a sporty bike) or an engine pretty easily.

Even the spec sheet for the MRT5 on the McGill website doesn't give the power output.

I can't find anything in the rules & regulations about the maximum power output.
#9 - MR_B
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :try it with LFSTweak, wheelspin all the way!

How? LFSTweak doesn't work in Y, and if it does you can't get hold of it. And LFS Tune doesn't support the MRT ?

Quote from DodgeRacer :FSAE puts heavy air restrictors on the engine

Then why not run with something smaller? Like the BMW F650 runs a single cylinder 600CC engine which pumps out around 60 odd bhp?
Probably because the guys who built the car found this engine cheap..
Quote from MR_B :Then why not run with something smaller? Like the BMW F650 runs a single cylinder 600CC engine which pumps out around 60 odd bhp?

Well, the MRT5 is not a made-up car. It is the FSAE car of an actual team. According to FSAE rules, you could use a 600cc single cylinder engine, but you have to run an intake restrictor anyway.
#12 - JJ72
The MRT engine is 1.heavily restricted 2.more low rev torque orientated than high rev grunt.
#13 - MR_B
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, the MRT5 is not a made-up car. It is the FSAE car of an actual team.

yes I am aware of that...... studying a motorsport engineering degree in a university that is running 2 FSAE cars
Yeah, all f/sae cars run with an ~2 cm restrictor on their intake. Means they generate 50-80 hp normally. (Which isn't bad at all considering they weigh 350-500 lbs.)
Quote from MR_B :How? LFSTweak doesn't work in Y, and if it does you can't get hold of it. And LFS Tune doesn't support the MRT ?

*whistles*
The Thundercat had a crappy engine anyway
Quote from danowat :The Thundercat had a crappy engine anyway

That compared to your CBR? I've always loved Honda reliability but I've not heard any bad things about the Thundercat's engine.

And I don't think it was meant to be an all out, smack you in the face super fast bike as it was classed as a sports tourer.
I don't have a CBR anymore, which also had a crappy engine

The Thundercat engine is a softly, softly engine, infact the whole bike is a softly, softly bike, sorta like riding a little whale.

It was never a match for any of the other 600's out at the time, still makes a pretty decent small tourer.
#19 - MR_B
Quote from danowat :infact the whole bike is a softly, softly bike, sorta like riding a little whale.

Are whales soft then?? I always thought they were solid lumps....

Squidgy whales, well blow me down.....
Nah, full of blubber they are, nice and soft
negative the engine on a thundercat is the only good thing about it, same engine that was fitted to the FZR600R http://home.versatel.nl/bossinkadsl/FZR600R/FZR600Rnr1.jpg
(you know that one)

nothing softly softly about them i had a 92 FZR600 when i was 17 it was a hooligan bike but kept braking down
Quote from danowat :I don't have a CBR anymore, which also had a crappy engine

The Thundercat engine is a softly, softly engine, infact the whole bike is a softly, softly bike, sorta like riding a little whale.

It was never a match for any of the other 600's out at the time, still makes a pretty decent small tourer.

I knew you didn't have the CBR any more but it would be sheer comedy to compare it to your 'prila!

Now think about the RSV lump in the MRT, shitloads more low end grunt.

Quote from andybarsblade :negative the engine on a thundercat is the only good thing about it, same engine that was fitted to the FZR600R http://home.versatel.nl/bossinkadsl/FZR600R/FZR600Rnr1.jpg
(you know that one)

nothing softly softly about them i had a 92 FZR600 when i was 17 it was a hooligan bike but kept braking down

Never knew they shared the engine with the old FZR. Learn something new everyday!
Quote from beefyman666 :Now think about the RSV lump in the MRT, shitloads more low end grunt.

Now you are talking

FZR600 was never a stormer either, Yamaha didn't really pickup there game until the late 90's, when they released the R1 and the R6, both great bikes.

Even the R7 wasn't that good a road bike, infact, I can't think of one early Yahama superbike I'd want to own, bar the OW01 of course
OW01 and RC45 are a couple of bikes I'd really love to own. I can keep dreaming.

R7 was proved good on a track though. And aren't they a rare sight on the roads nowadays?
#25 - _ak
looks like silly idea to restrict engine but put turbocharger

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG