The online racing simulator
Y3???
(40 posts, started )
Y3 [solved]
Er... i didnt know there was lfs y3?

Edit: See Scawens post
Attached images
Y3.JPG
I think it might be the language test version?
#3 - J@tko
Quote from mcgas001 :Er... i didnt know there was lfs y3?

Presume it was a server-side upgrade!

That's interesting!
Hehe, here we go again
Quote from mcgas001 :?!!?

Patch speculation chat..

EDIT: And now some informative content: The server with Y3 is from Japan.
I'v seen that too, but didn't think much of taking a screen and putting it on here...Thought there was an update of the server-side..

What do you mean Geeman?

Edit: alright you posted when i was typing :-P
Y2 is pretty much the same as Y - it's the V1 version with the Formula BMW as the default car and V1LFS as the default skin for that.
I'm pretty sure Y3 is testing the new languages, Korean has been done so I guess that will add somewhat to the LFS community, supposedly South Korea has the highest internet population to real population ratio.
Maybe Y3 is a speshul version for whinging demo users..its Patch Y with the XRT and not the FBM!

{Only taking the pi$$...don't go getting exited you demo peeps!!!}
Y3 is a language test version.

It's being tested by the Chinese, Japanese and Korean translators. The language support will be released in a public test patch very soon but it made sense to do a limited test first, as there were plenty of issues to sort out, and I didn't need to hear the same bug reports from too many people. These are not easy languages to support!

The characters must be selected from a font installed on the computer, then they must be drawn onto a bitmap when required and stored on one of a few special character textures in memory. When they are no longer in use, them must be removed from the texture to make way for new characters. The frame rate is just as high as with Latin Characters only. I think the frame rate is very slightly improved with Latin / Cyrillic / Greek characters as well.

This is because Chinese has something like 20,000 characters, not just 26. They cannot all be in memory at the same time.
Quote from Scawen :Y3 is a language test version.

It's being tested by the Chinese, Japanese and Korean translators. The language support will be released in a public test patch very soon but it made sense to do a limited test first, as there were plenty of issues to sort out, and I didn't need to hear the same bug reports from too many people. These are not easy languages to support!

The characters must be selected from a font installed on the computer, then they must be drawn onto a bitmap when required and stored on one of a few special character textures in memory. When they are no longer in use, them must be removed from the texture to make way for new characters. The frame rate is just as high as with Latin Characters only. I think the frame rate is very slightly improved with Latin / Cyrillic / Greek characters as well.

This is because Chinese has something like 20,000 characters, not just 26. They cannot all be in memory at the same time.

Thanks for clearing that up, i was just a bit freaked out when i saw Y3. You can close this thread now, if need be
Quote from Scawen :The characters must be selected from a font installed on the computer, then they must be drawn onto a bitmap when required and stored on one of a few special character textures in memory. When they are no longer in use, them must be removed from the texture to make way for new characters. The frame rate is just as high as with Latin Characters only. I think the frame rate is very slightly improved with Latin / Cyrillic / Greek characters as well.

That sounds bloody complicated ... but you're more than capable of doing it, good luck and my best wishes for the testing anyway
I'm looking forward to the patch, I think we might get a influx of new racers from Asia following this.
Yeah, why should some people be without chance to play lfs, especially so many of those from asian part of world more people, the better, just a question of lag.... but in a few years maybe lag will be thing of the past
Great move from great man, go Scawen!
Oh yes the other reason why it's not yet released to the public is to give the translators a bit more time to test and complete their translations.

11 new translators have been on the case for a couple of weeks doing a great job and we now have Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean translations.

Anyway we have a few more things to do, then it can go into public testing stage, I guess later this week.
Attached images
ch_simp.jpg
So much for having a month off, you workaholic you!
Yes, I thought this would be a nice interesting bit of holiday work.
-
(mcgas001) DELETED by mcgas001
Yay, finally, we'll see Usernames that say "Fujiwara Tofu Shop" in Japanese ^^

Great work though, scawen
Quote from ColeusRattus :Yay, finally, we'll see Usernames that say "Fujiwara Tofu Shop" in Japanese ^^

+ about 3,000,000 new drifters (ALL screaming for teh XRT in demo :really
Quote from ColeusRattus :Yay, finally, we'll see Usernames that say "Fujiwara Tofu Shop" in Japanese ^^

I really hope Usernames used on the forum are still Latin only. I'd hate to spend hours trying to tell people apart like "Wait, that's the guy whose name starts with that character that looks a little bit like a house, just with those three strokes in the middle instead of an x ..."
I assume that it will stay latin usernames only, I don't think you can use cyrrilic at the moment, or greek for that matter.
I wonder how user names will be handled. Seeing that Scawen is using the installed system fonts, it's very likely that people from non-Asian regions don't have the required fonts installed. Will those people see lots of "?" or empty rectangles then?
Quote from Bladerunner :+ about 3,000,000 new drifters (ALL screaming for teh XRT in demo :really

Even when just 1% (30000) buy LFS it would be still worth doing it
Quote from AndroidXP :I wonder how user names will be handled. Seeing that Scawen is using the installed system fonts, it's very likely that people from non-Asian regions don't have the required fonts installed. Will those people see lots of "?" or empty rectangles then?

I imagine licence names will stay latin only, I can see asian fonts for some reason. Besides, text entry will be hard to do (this example is Japanese)- Linky, video by yamawaka. Carl Edwards FTW!
Yeah, the license names themselves will, but I guess the player names will be customizable. Maybe automatically display the license name if the custom name contains an unavailable character?

Y3???
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG