The online racing simulator
Are these start and end ports? or individual ranges?
Hi,
Just wanted to be clear on something-the manual doses not specify.

In the manual, it says that ranges 63392, and 29339 are used for forwarding.
However, being that the game uses TCP, and UDP; My question is: Are these two port numbers separate/individual ranges? or are they start, and end ranges?
In other words:
1. Is 63392 the start range, and 29339 the end range for TCP?
a. Or is (63392 the start) and (63392 end) range for TCP?

I need to know this becouse my hardware firewall has start and end port fields for both TCP, and UDP when setting up TCP, only, and/or UDP only..
Also, My firewall can be set to “both” TCP/UDP all in one setting as aposed to individual settings.

But the manual doses not say if these ranges are individual, or start, and end ranges? there are a number of possibilities, but Which example is correct?

1. TCP-only: StartRange = 63392 EndRange = 29339
2. TCP/UDP: StartRange = 63392 EndRange = 29339
3. UDP-only: StartRange = 63392 EndRange = 29339
4. TCP StartRange = 63392 EndRange = 63392 (same)
5. UDP StartRange = 29339 EndRange = 29339 (same)

Btw, I "do" know how to forwared ports, but I need to know what protocol these rangers need to be binded to?

Notice how the routor can be set as both TCP/ and UDP, or using the drop down you can set the protocol as only TCP, and/ or UDP.
http://wowapprentice.com/asset ... /privateserver/route5.jpg

Advanced Thanks
No these are not ranges.

You only need TCP and UDP 63392 port forwarded into your network (many home routers only allow you to set UDP or TCP, so it means you need to setup 2 rules), or opened in your incoming firewall (unless you change the port number on the dedi, in which case it's that one).

TCP 29339 is an outgoing connection only (this port is used to talk to the master server and you do not need to port forward it in, unless you have a very old home router which has broken functionality - very, very unlikely these days). By default most firewalls allow all outgoing traffic, so you should beable to effectively ignore this.

May I recommend looking at portforward.com, or this thread, if you are still confused.
Quote = Manaul
Quote : If the server connects to the internet through a firewall the TCP and UDP ports which are used by LFS (default: 63392 and 29339) have to be forwarded (http://portforward.com/routers.htm) to the server.

sorry if my questoin did not make sence. This is what I'm trying to say: The manual says, "63392 and 29339) have to be forwarded"

Forwarded to what? Is 63392 the full range for TCP, than I guess 29330 would be the full range (meaning start and end) for UDP?
Or do you set up a double protocal; example TCP/UDP and than give them both numbers as a full range?
See how they web pages separates the rangers with commas?
http://portforward.com/cports.htm
Quote from waveform :sorry if my questoin did not make sence.

It makes sense. I just haven't read your entire first post.

The wiki/manual is out of date and needs fixing.

Quote from waveform :Forwarded to what?

Forwarded to the PC inside of your network running the game server.

Quote from waveform :them both numbers as a full range?

If your home router does not allow you to forward a single port, then yes the starting port and end port must be the same.

Edit: Having read your first post, if you can only do a range, then you need to port forward
Both TCP and UDP : Start range 63392 - Finish range 63392

Edit 2: drunken posting "ftl". Sorry..
Thanks the_angry_angle!

the word I was lookign for was rule, you said it!

So I guess I had it right: I just wanted to make sure
This is how I had it yesterday when I was playing.
btw, I have the FVS318v3 netgear, you can set TCP/UDP as shown in the image, or individually

Screen Shot Example:
http://www.nickabc.com/misc_q/lfs_port.gif

by the way, How did you know that 29339 was outgoing?
Just curious?

Thanks!
Quote from waveform :by the way, How did you know that 29339 was outgoing?

Because I'm sad, sad person who's been around LFS for waaay too long.

However, I think it was originally documented many moons ago by the development team, but I couldn't point at where this would be right now (the beer, and possibly my liver, is evil) as the LFS docs aren't exactly kept up to date

You can also tell that sort of thing looking at netstat and prodding network dumps, etc.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Because I'm sad, sad person who's been around LFS for waaay too long.

lol, nothing wrong with that my friend!
I know the feeling, i've been hooked on OFP for too long. Not to mention all the time I've put into making , Unreal Levels that never got me anywhere.

In all honesty, I thought LFS just came out.
I need to learn some of these multiplayer game commands, like Shift+P. Last night was the first time I played, and I was so lost. thankfuly someone was helping me, but I still have to work on the rules.

btw, what is a sysadmin?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG