The online racing simulator
CPU upgrade advice
(20 posts, started )
#1 - Wakey
CPU upgrade advice
I have a Amd Athlon xp2000 and GeforceFX 5600 would it be better to upgrade to a XP3000 and leave the graphics card the same
or upgrade the graphics card and leave the Cpu alone to get more fps

Many thanks
cpu.definately.
For LFS: CPU!

For any other game: probably the GFX card first, then CPU, preferably both.
#4 - Wakey
Will I notice a good increase in fps
at the moment it is about 40 with just me on the track
Thanks for your help
I went from an XP 1600+ (1.4GHz) to an XP 3000+ (2.1GHz) and immediately noticed the difference. You should have a similar experience. Also note that I had a GF 4600 when I did this upgrade and did not get any increase in framerate from upgrading to a GF 6800GT much later.

If you have the money, however, a motherboard and CPU upgrade would be a better investment, something like:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard (support for both AGP and PCI-E, good transition board)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz

Maybe some RAM too because the stuff you have now probably isn't rated for the right clock frequency.

That's a pretty serious upgrade though and you really have to know what you're doing if you want to use the same hard drive without reloading the OS.
#6 - Wakey
The local computer shop said they would do it for £170 for me
so it would be worth doing ??????????
Please describe what "it" is. 170 to install the XP 3000+?
#8 - Wakey
To upgrade cpu and board from xp2000+ to xp3000+
Not too bad I suppose. I'll say though if you can do it yourself you save so much. I picked up a new motherboard for £40 and a xp3200+ for £60 not long ago, both brand new. I'd already had experience building pcs though, so I knew what I was doing.

Tbh £170 all fitted is probably ok.
You shouldn't need a new motherboard. Maybe a BIOS upgrade but that's it.

170 seems pretty steep, though, if they aren't giving you a new motherboard, and as I said, you shouldn't need one. Here in the US, the CPU alone costs half that (after converting GBP to USD). And CPU installation isn't at all complicated.
I think if I did it myself I would do more damage than good
So I should see a definate frame increase for my money???
Thanks for Help
I've gone from a 9800Pro 128MB to a 9600Pro 256MB (the 9800 died), and my fps have dropped from average 60 - 80 to a HIGH of 40, and an average of 20 with other cars about (on multiplayer).

The CPU is unchanged as a P4 2.8, and 1024MB Ram.

The trouble is there are so many different 'types' of 9600 I can't work out what is safe overclocking terratory for my card. The reviews all show higher default clock speeds than mine seems to have :S
Quote from tristancliffe :The trouble is there are so many different 'types' of 9600 I can't work out what is safe overclocking terratory for my card. The reviews all show higher default clock speeds than mine seems to have :S

If you realy like to try, i can suggest Atitool . It has an automatic OC mode which works amazingly well. It can read your GPU temp. and can read and control the GPU fan if your card is supported.
Quote from M.Mos :If you realy like to try, i can suggest Atitool . It has an automatic OC mode which works amazingly well. It can read your GPU temp. and can read and control the GPU fan if your card is supported.

I heard about this program and since i have simuliar problems as tristan (x600 256ddr) I would like to know if someone can explain how to use it so I can get the optimum setting?
#15 - shim
Quote from Forbin :You shouldn't need a new motherboard. Maybe a BIOS upgrade but that's it.

170 seems pretty steep, though, if they aren't giving you a new motherboard, and as I said, you shouldn't need one. Here in the US, the CPU alone costs half that (after converting GBP to USD). And CPU installation isn't at all complicated.

depends on the stock FSB settings on the board.. he could be runnin with a 166 board where the 3000+ takes the 2000FSB (not including the DDR factor)
Quote from shim :depends on the stock FSB settings on the board.. he could be runnin with a 166 board where the 3000+ takes the 2000FSB (not including the DDR factor)

Hmm, yes, that is true. However, there are 2 versions of the 3000+, one that runs on the 166 MHz FSB and another that runs on the 200 MHz FSB (which are more officially known as 333 and 400 MHz), the former of which runs 66 MHz faster (2.166 GHz vs. 2.1 GHz). Both are Barton cores with 512 KB L2 cache.
Personally i would go for the 3200+ if you can find one, they have a 400 FSB, which will leave you the option in the future to upgrade to 400 FSB RAM if you so wish, whereas the 3000+ is 333 FSB, so only 400 FSB RAM wouldnt be used to its maximum potential.
Many thanks to all for your comments they have been a great Help
Quote from M.Mos :If you realy like to try, i can suggest Atitool . It has an automatic OC mode which works amazingly well. It can read your GPU temp. and can read and control the GPU fan if your card is supported.

Chances are that his 9600Pro won't have an in-built thermometer, but it doesn't matter, as it automatically overclocks in small increments, and tests for stability at each stage, before setting the clocks a little higher, and continuing....... PS, also works on NVidia cards.... highly reccomended
#20 - J.B.
If you have to get a new MB to upgrade then you should do what Forbin said in his first post. A64 not XP.

CPU upgrade advice
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG