Real Low wind
(25 posts, started )
Real Low wind
Hello...

The wind nowadays in LFS i think is very realistic, but there's something that messes all up. When you put the option of "Low Wind" you get like from 2kph-30kph, miles is like 1mph-17mph, but really, that is not real low wind, i think low wind should be real, not 30kph, that is medium wind, if we dont consider it a low wind in the option of "High wind", but i think there should be a real limit for low wind, like 10mph -16kph of the "Low Wind" option. Because its like ilogical to say that 30kph is "Low" wind, because its not, Low wind should be like i sayed before. That 30kph wind should be in the "Medium wind" option, but i think that the devs really need to think about it, put real low wind, not 17mph wind... Low not high

Cheers
I like that idea, plus it would be nice to have it measured in knots, as that is universal, with a menu choice like this:

low wind (5-10 knots)
medium wind (11-20 knots)
high wind (21-30 knots)

1 knot = 1.1 mile per hour.

Also, the direction the wind comes from.
Knots?
I think I have never seen wind speed measured in knots. It's usually in m/s, which is an SI unit.
Quote from geeman1 :Knots?
I think I have never seen wind speed measured in knots. It's usually in m/s, which is an SI unit.

It isn't common except in maritime navigation. And aircraft airspeed and groundspeed is measured in knots.
Knots are just like miles, gallons, inches and stones: Imperial units. Obsolete and pain-in-the ass when you use physical equations...
I've never seen it quoted in knots (apart from on Wikipedia, which unfortunatly has a lot of things in silly units), on the FIA TV overlays it's in m/s, and the BBC quote it in mph.

Due to the international nature of LFS, I'd make it a choice but the default (and one that actually matters) m/s.
I'm in agreement with Duke on this one.

Windspeed always used to be measured in knots, and I have still seen it quoted in knots for flying and gliding (where everything else is always knots anyway), but far more common here these days is miles per hour, and everywhere else seems to use metres per second. Perhaps I've not been paying much attention to European things, but I don't think I've seen it quoted in kilometres per hour. Making the default the most common one, which does seem to be m/s, seems about right.

Although having it as a choice could cause a few inconveniences as far as talking about it is concerned, seeing as we're only told the windspeed once in the whole race, and so quick conversions would be tricky.

I reckon the reason ScaViEr has given us very inspecific wind settings is that it's a bloody inspecific thing in the real world, and that's at the best of times. At least our wind doesn't change every five minutes. But more than that, if we had easy-to-tweak wind levels, rigging up a high wind ideal for fast laps would be a bit too simple.

Sam
Why not just make it so that the server admin can set the wind speed range ie "Wind_Speed_Min = 5" "Wind_Speed_Max = 15"
The only place I've seen the wind measured in knots is when I'm at an airport.

Heck, even weather.com uses mph, and so do every weather channel or news or whatever, they always use mph.
Quote from TFSnameless :Why not just make it so that the server admin can set the wind speed range ie "Wind_Speed_Min = 5" "Wind_Speed_Max = 15"

good one +1
Quote from Gekkibi :Knots are just like miles, gallons, inches and stones: Imperial units. Obsolete and pain-in-the ass when you use physical equations...

There's a reason Knots are used in any situation where wind is of consequence in navigation: 1 Knot = 1 Minute of Longitude/Latitude. It's not obsolete =)
Quote from GobLox :There's a reason Knots are used in any situation where wind is of consequence in navigation: 1 Knot = 1 Minute of Longitude/Latitude. It's not obsolete =)

I knew there was some reason for it, I just failed to remember at the time.

Quote from XCNuse :The only place I've seen the wind measured in knots is when I'm at an airport.

Heck, even weather.com uses mph, and so do every weather channel or news or whatever, they always use mph.

Living in a predominantly imperial-unit country, like me, that will be the case. But looking at the LFSW racer/country distribution chart, we are greatly outnumbered by more metric racers, so I suppose that's why ScaViEr decided on kilometres per hour instead:

Oh, and...
Quote from TFSnameless :Why not just make it so that the server admin can set the wind speed range ie "Wind_Speed_Min = 5" "Wind_Speed_Max = 15"
Quote from Dark Elite :I reckon the reason ScaViEr has given us very inspecific wind settings is that it's a bloody inspecific thing in the real world, and that's at the best of times. At least our wind doesn't change every five minutes. But more than that, if we had easy-to-tweak wind levels, rigging up a high wind ideal for fast laps would be a bit too simple.

Sam
Quote from GobLox :There's a reason Knots are used in any situation where wind is of consequence in navigation: 1 Knot = 1 Minute of Longitude/Latitude. It's not obsolete =)

Yes, you are right. I started to check the facts after I posted (Wrong order, I know).

I agree it now: Knots are very functional in certain kind of situations. However, I believe that racing is not one of these situations.

+1 that server admins can type min and max to wind speed (But hey, I am just a demo racer, who is interested in my opinion...).
Less options is better. Wind should be enabled all the time. Maybe tweak the randomness algorithm so that lower winds happen more often than high winds. The wind is just another real life factor that you can't really control, so why should you in LFS?
Quote from Gekkibi :Knots are just like miles, gallons, inches and stones: Imperial units. Obsolete and pain-in-the ass when you use physical equations...

Maybe, but who on earth understands/uses m/s in the real world??

Wind speed (and all speeds really) should be in KPH, MPH (or Knots even).

Personally, I think it would be better if the game had a metric/imperial setting as a global setting which would affect how all of the units in-game (and in the options) are displayed, as this is what people are used to, (if it has one I've missed it).
Quote from gezmoor :Maybe, but who on earth understands/uses m/s in the real world??

Everyone, except british and americans?
Quote from geeman1 :Everyone, except british and americans?

Actually I think you'll find it means nothing to 99% of Europeans either ! Sure we all understand it from an intellectual point of view but we have no "feel" for how fast it is, because we are not acustomed to working in that unit. If our car speedos were in those units maybe, but their not so it's a meaningless unit until converted to KPH or MPH for practically everybody.
#18 - dev
Quote from gezmoor :Actually I think you'll find it means nothing to 99% of Europeans either !

As far as I know, Great Britain is the only European country who uses imperial units. Great Britains population over Europe < 99%

We are so going off-topic right now.
Quote from gezmoor :Actually I think you'll find it means nothing to 99% of Europeans either ! Sure we all understand it from an intellectual point of view but we have no "feel" for how fast it is, because we are not acustomed to working in that unit. If our car speedos were in those units maybe, but their not so it's a meaningless unit until converted to KPH or MPH for practically everybody.

Well, true. The wind speed is a rather useless info in everyday life, it's either windy or it's not. But I don't think km/h or mph would give any more info about the "feel" than m/s. Atleast m/s is the standard unit for wind speed in most countries thus there is a higher chance that the person can know atleast a coarse differentation about what is high wind or low wind if the units are in m/s.
Basically, most Europeans (by which I mean those living on the metric European mainland) do not have a good impression of miles per hour, and most British people do not have a good feel for metres per second...

In conclusion, the unit should probably be an option. Perhaps, for online use, a server-side setting so that it's the same for everyone racing?

This is still off the original topic, but that one seems to have been done over anyway :rolleyes:

Sam
Sorry for the borderline necro

Quote from Dark Elite :Basically, most Europeans (by which I mean those living on the metric European mainland) do not have a good impression of miles per hour, and most British people do not have a good feel for metres per second...

But that's because km/h rather than m/s is used for speed limits. Although meteorologically speaking it's normally in m/s, so the FOM put it up in m/s. Not saying km/h isn't used for weather, EuroNews have it in km/h on their site.
Curses! My attempt to use an archaic unit of measurement in a computer game has failed!
Just use the Beaufort scale and it's all nicely fuzzy and inaccurate.
Quote from duke_toaster :But that's because km/h rather than m/s is used for speed limits.

Er... What? I didn't say anything about how mainland Europeans understood metres per second, just that most British people didn't, because of the predominant use of miles per hour here.

It's occured to me that to convert from metres per second to kilometres per hour is a factor of 3.6, whereas metres per second to miles per hour is ~2.25, meaning the conversion to understand metres per second accurately is a bit more difficult for someone used to miles.

Real Low wind
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG