The online racing simulator
Got nVidia? Get Free Valve Stuff!
(43 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/

If you have an nVidia graphics card, just click the link (you need Steam) and it will add "Portal: The First Slice" (10 Level DEMO), Peggle Extreme, Lost Coast & HL2M to your steam account. You can then download it and use your steam account on a PC with no nVidia card and play if you so chose :P

Thought it might interest people, although thanks to heavy Digging it's really slow atm. Great way to try Portal, but ALL the fun is really had after the first 10 levels (imo you need to go past the "end" of 19 to really have some fun)
Wow, nice!

Downloading now, this'll take a while
lol i bought a 7600gt a month ago
Downloading now
#4 - Jakg
Yay. Owning 2x 6600GT's, a 7950GT and now an 8800GTX is paying off. woo!
NOW it's paying off? Like your uberleet frame rates weren't enough for you?

I already have most of that crap (they give away HLDM and Lost Coast with everything), but I am interested in Portal.
Quote from Dajmin :...but I am interested in Portal.

Don't be... the cake is a lie.

Downloading now! Nvidia FTW!
I have an nVidia card but I'm such a cranky badass that I refuse to download HL2 freebies.
Bah Humbug..I has gots a nVidia 8800GTS what I bought in some very establishment not 'alf a year ago.....

And it has far from snuffed it or gorn to meet it's maker...it's not even nailed to it's perch...

But I already GOT all that stuff wiv teh Orange Pox

WHERE'S MY FREEBIES!!
lol Screw you nVidia? Haha, nVidia is more sucessful than ATi atm, In a few months G100 will even come out, so nVidia dominates.
Cool beans, I'm downloading it now. So, you do not need to have HL2 already installed, right?
#12 - Jakg
Nope, Portal is standalone (albeit demo), HL2 DM is standalone and can have mods and Lost Cost is a tech demo (basically).

In short - you do NOT need HL2.

Still downloading my stuff at 190 KB/s though - HL2 DM is at 92% and Portal is at 95 (Why the hell did i download this?! i already have Portal!), and Lost Coast wont download because aparently the Steam Servers are too busy.
I'm downloading at 3.4Mb/s right now, HL2: Deathmatch is at 18%, Portal is at 25%.

EDIT: 5Mb/s; 20%, 30%
#14 - Jakg
Current download rate - 192 KB/s
Peak download rate - 221.2 KB/s

My line is good for almost 1,000 KB/s :X
Downloading ATM @ 280

The highest ive got is 330
#16 - wien
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Haha, nVidia is more sucessful than ATi atm, In a few months G100 will even come out, so nVidia dominates.

It's not as clear cut as you seem to think it is. In the lower/middle range AMD is the clear favourite right now with the HD3850. I'm also not sure what you're referring to with the G100 as I haven't heard of such a thing. There's the G92 on which the 8800GT is based, and then there's the D9X on which the 9X00 series will be based, but that's merely another refresh of the G80 architecture (much like the G92 is). Nvidia won't have anything really challenging the 8800 Ultra any time soon (other than the dual chip 9800GX2).
Did I read correctly that you could get HL2 for free too? That would suck because I bought it like a week ago and now I did build my new system with 8600.
I got a load of HL2 freebies and the HL Back catalogue a few months back because I own an ATi card. Annoyingly all the freebies valve ever offers I always have anyway >.<
Got ATI? Get Free Valve Stuff!
Hmmm... Do I really want Peggle Extreme?

HL2DM and Portal are proper barrel-of-monkeys fun though, if you haven't already got them.
#21 - wien
Quote from thisnameistaken :Hmmm... Do I really want Peggle Extreme?

It's amusing if you like casual games, but it's only a rather limited demo of the full thing.
Hmm can i really be bothered putting old fx5200 back in? Maybe i should just get someone to activate it on my steam account for me.

*edit*
Ah i forgot my flatmates computer (which im on now) has an nvidia card he got from my brother. Im in a idiot! :doh:
Worst demo ever. Not even slightly fun. How the hell is that meant to convince people to buy? Just wasted half an hour of my life downloading and playing.
Quote from wien :It's not as clear cut as you seem to think it is. In the lower/middle range AMD is the clear favourite right now with the HD3850. I'm also not sure what you're referring to with the G100 as I haven't heard of such a thing. There's the G92 on which the 8800GT is based, and then there's the D9X on which the 9X00 series will be based, but that's merely another refresh of the G80 architecture (much like the G92 is). Nvidia won't have anything really challenging the 8800 Ultra any time soon (other than the dual chip 9800GX2).

Well, actually D9E/G100 have much better performance, look at these:
9800GTX just dominates!

http://www.hardware-aktuell.com/viewnews.php?article=707

It compares D9E/G100 to G80, we can see it has much better performance. And what ATi got at high range? nVidia has already got quite a lot of different cards in med/high/very high range so if you want best performance, go for nVidia, because it just has faster cards right now and in future when D9E/G100 comes out, it still has got fastest videocards.
#25 - Jakg
But what about the 3850? What about budget DX9 cards (ie x1950 Pro)?

nVidia doesn't dominate everywhere.

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG