The online racing simulator
#1 - Migz
Need To Make My Fps Higher, Overclock?
my computer is about 5 years old and when i run lfs at full detail i get about 25 fps and i only get about 5 more on the lowest detail. And when i film with fraps i get a measley 10fps. so i really want to get my fps up to about 30 while filming.
so im thinking of overclocking my computer but i want to know what is overclocking is and how do you do it.
Il post my computer specs tomorow as im not on it.
And lastly is there any other way to make my fps higher/make computer run faster?
Filming with Fraps takes a lot of your system resources and if your getting 10fps on a 5 year old computer I wouldn't worry about overclocking it... I don't know much about overclocking, but if you are planning on it you have a ton of reading to do because if its done wrong it will destroy your 5 year old computer... Where its 5 years old and doing highest settings at ~25 fps thats pretty decent for that old of a computer, really - which means it must have been near the top of the line. Aside from buying a new computer, which is probably the best option in your case, I would probably try finding where your system is bottlenecked and going from there if its cheap enough to upgrade - might not be possible though. So I didn't really help you, but thats my thoughts... I also don't know if overclocking will actually help you because your bottleneck might be the graphics card or memory, and I have to say good luck if you wanna overclock enough to record at 30fps when your getting 10...
ram plus a video card bumped me up to 100 fps and it only cost me $100.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from callmebob :ram plus a video card bumped me up to 100 fps and it only cost me $100.

Thats really helpful advice seeing as you don't know what his computer hardware is.

Overclocking might help, but you really need to know a fair bit about computers before i'd recommend trying it.
#5 - Migz
Right heres some of the things about my computer, tell me if im missing something and where to get it.
Acer Incorporated
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80Ghz
2.80GHz, 512 MB of Ram

And the screen is.
Plug And Play Monitor On NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE
well 2.8 should be just fine its ram a gfx then just get ur ram up to 1gb and get a non on board GFX card if your board supports it just look into it and see what happens but by the sounds of it ur GFX is so C***p that its using some of ur ram to try and power it. so try updating ur GFX card first then go for some ram.
yea its GFX thats ur prob i just sourced this out on the net

GeForce4 MX 440-SE Fill Rate:
Triangles per Second:
Memory Bandwidth:
Maximum Memory:

1.1 Billion Texels/Sec.
31 Million
5.3GB/Sec.
64MB
64mb is somthing that would play duke nukem 3d(yes i still play)
I had the same Mx440 before...I got 30 FPS on average... 1 year ago I bought a 9600Xt and everything was fine, I had no FPS problems at all. ( OK I bought a new motherboard and a Dual Core CPU)
#10 - Migz
I dunno how much you know about computers, but the easiest way is to just open up the side and look. AGP/PCI slots are long raised plastic slots (usually blue, white or black) into which you slide cards that line up with the blank slots on the back of the PC. Usually you can find, printed on the motherboard itself text somewhere near the slot that says PCI x 1, PCI x 16, AGP, etc...

Of course, the PCI slots themselves look different from AGP, so just use this as a reference and take a peek:

#12 - MR_B
[caution]***It's not pci, it's PCIe***[/caution]
Yes, it should be clarified:

PCI was the original standard, then AGP came along thinking it was cool cause it was faster, but then PCI-e (PCI Express) snuck up from behind and was like BAM, I'm WAAAY BETTER THAN YOU! So the moral of the story is:

PCI-e is better than AGP is better than PCI.
#14 - Migz
Oh right, we'll ill open it up tomorow and see which one it is.
Sounds like AGP got their ar$e$ pawned lol.
#15 - Migz
whoooo, manage to convice my dad to take me to town and buy some neparts for this aztec computer.
Were looking to buy the newest graphics card, the nvidia 9600 or something starting with a 9 i think.
and hopefully getting my ram up to 1024 or maybe more if i can.
What fps do you think i would be getting with this?

Note: still havent opened the computer up yet to see what kind of slots it is.
Quote from Migz :whoooo, manage to convice my dad to take me to town and buy some neparts for this aztec computer.
Were looking to buy the newest graphics card, the nvidia 9600 or something starting with a 9 i think.
and hopefully getting my ram up to 1024 or maybe more if i can.
What fps do you think i would be getting with this?

Note: still havent opened the computer up yet to see what kind of slots it is.

Ermm, finding out if it's PCI, AGP or PCI-E is job one dude, you can't pick anything out until you know what you need. And AGP are not a company or anything, they are all names for that particular socket.

You sound dangerously under prepared and maybe a little too optimistic about the level of the improvement that you might gain. I wouldn't put too much cash into a 5 year old system, it's only a very short term fix.

Find out what socket you have, PCI or AGP.
What RAM you have, it will be DDR but you need to find out what speed (Mhz) it is or the PC number (PC2700 for example).

CPUZ should tell you everything you need to know about your CPU, motherboard and RAM
http://filehippo.com/download_cpuz/
#17 - Migz
Ahah it says AGP version 2 in that CPU-Z thing
and i know what the ram is, its 512.

and i knew i had to find out if it was agp or pci.
but i was going to find out this week before i went to town.

and i know that agp arnt a company, its a type of graphic socket, thingy.
but i was saying the makers of pci were pawned by agp and then agp were pawned by the makers of pcie . lol.
Pairing up a brand new top of the range GPU with your system is pretty pointless tbh.

I'd just grab a second hand 6800GT/GS for the time being

That's about all its worth doing with that system.

As for you ram..it's 512 of what? pc2700? You need to find out so you can add the same stuff.
#19 - Migz
oh right sorry, though you only needed the ram itself
its PC27000.
And i doubt im getting a new computer for a few years unless this one packs in with a virus i cant fix, (and ive fixed the last 12 so i doubt that would happen)
so could i not get a brand new gfx card? and then if i ever do get a new computer i can just move the card over?
#20 - Migz
Oooh i also remember i have an old laptop somewhere, its about 2 years old, and it was top of the line when i got it, so maybe it could have a graphics card i could take out from it?
only problem is it wont log in so i cant see what kind of card it is.
Quote from Migz :so could i not get a brand new gfx card? and then if i ever do get a new computer i can just move the card over?

No... well, I mean, you COULD, but there'd be a myriad of problems:

1. The most modern, and most powerful graphics cards use the newer PCI-e slots, so you wouldn't be able to get the LATEST and GREATEST.
2. The most modern, and most powerful graphics cards use more power than your power supply would be able to provide, so you'd need to get a new one of those.
3. The most modern, and most powerful graphics cards are completely useless without the most modern processors, RAM, etc... to back them up.

I like to use odd analogies, so here goes: It'd be the equivalent of taking your frozen pizza over to the closest nuclear power plant, so that you could toss it in the reactor for a split second and cook it. It would work great, but you'd be using about a zillionth of the power plant's potential. Overkill.

If you did buy a state of the art card, though, yes you would be able to move it over to a newer computer... but you're not buying a state of the art card, because you're not a complete moron (RIGHT?!)

Quote from Migz :Oooh i also remember i have an old laptop somewhere, its about 2 years old, and it was top of the line when i got it, so maybe it could have a graphics card i could take out from it?
only problem is it wont log in so i cant see what kind of card it is.

No you can't. Laptops use different hardware components than desktops... that's why they're, you know, smaller. You wouldn't be able to use any of its parts in your desktop.

Be sure when you buy more RAM that you get the same speed (DDR - PC2700.) If you get DDR2 (newer style RAM) it won't fit, and if you get DDR, but faster (like PC3200 or so) it WILL fit, but there's a chance that your system won't even take advantage of it and it'll be a waste of money.

Lastly, do you feel comfortable unplugging components and swapping components in your PC? It's not that hard, but if you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do) it's easy to fry a computer. If I were you, I'd read up a lot on how to do the upgrades you are planning to do before you even buy the parts. Aside from just sliding in a graphics card, you're going to have to find the right cable from your power supply to power it. You're going to have to uninstall old video drivers, and install new ones as well.
ive got a couple of great starter cards if u want them but there in china and ther PCIE lol
#23 - DeKo
havent read the rest of the posts, but im of the opinion that if you have to ask somebody how to overclock, you shouldnt be doing it anyway.
Quote from DeKo :havent read the rest of the posts, but im of the opinion that if you have to ask somebody how to overclock, you shouldnt be doing it anyway.

I think it's more about taking on board and understanding what people tell you and being prepared to read a few things and have a good basic knowledge....which is lacking here.

Migz, you need to learn a few things about your computer and some basic stuff about computers before you go and spend hard earned, good money on bad, possibly buying totally the wrong components.
#25 - Migz
Well i do know a few things about my computer, but ive never had to replace anything inside of it, so thats why i didnt know what i had to find out before a bought a new gfx card.
And a friend of mine had overclocked his computer with basicly no computer knowledge, so i thought that maybe it would have been easy.
But thanks to all of you, i think ill try just going to town with all the specs of my computer and asking a computer genius on what to do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG