The online racing simulator
Taillights on skins...
(27 posts, started )
Taillights on skins...
With everyone making custom taillights and other things, wouldn't it be nice to make these a part of the skin, so that we can see eachothers? This might work for other things as well, like steering wheels, etc. As we already have exhausts or rollcages on there, it can't be that hard to do, right?
I am not really for this idea, LFS is not a modding game... It might be an idea for the XFR and the like though, those little cup cars (like yaris cup) quite often have opaque headlights with paint and sponsors on 'em and stuff. That would be cool to skin.
#3 - ajp71
I'm not at all interested in seeing riced up lights, though IMO the road cars should all be given rollcages, lights taped up and helmets forced, like in any competitive circuit situation.
Quote from ajp71 :though IMO the road cars should all be given rollcages, lights taped up and helmets forced, like in any competitive circuit situation.

Yeah, we need a disqualification for those who use the non-race driver skin, with no helmet!
Quote from ajp71 :I'm not at all interested in seeing riced up lights, though IMO the road cars should all be given rollcages, lights taped up and helmets forced, like in any competitive circuit situation.

Noone said anything about riced lights, I have some grilled taillights, and they definately aren't rice. If someone wants Altezzas, why can't they?
i think it would be a good idea; like bob said, majority of race cars have no headlights.. fake ones

when you think about it, think of old cars.. like cobras and other vintage race cars.. the LX's in lfs for example.. could put tape lines on the headlights like they used to do if the glass ever shattered or cracked

i remember waaaaaaay back before i play sometime i have no idea when probably the first few demos i remember seeing taillights on the skin .. i think, just found the picture here it is:
http://www.bhmotorsports.com/images/articles/78/0.jpg
wow that looks old school. The only downside I can see is that then people would want every image on the skin, and that would be hard.
I think an even bigger downfall is that we keep wanting more and more stuff to be added to skins or to be skinnable (driver suits, taillights, headlights, hi-res skins, etc). Eventually all of this added stuff is going to take a toll on the server that has to send all this stuff out.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Eventually all of this added stuff is going to take a toll on the server that has to send all this stuff out.

It really would be no different to have a few small things added to the skins unused areas. Probably a few kb, and thats it.

But as for this suggestion, I really don't like most riced up tailights, and what some people do to them. Because they look way too 80's
I actually agree that on the skin we can change the tail lights, Would make the cars look more individual.
Till the first idiot comes along and paints his whole taillights black... illepall Ideal for blaming others for a crash, don't you think?
..not really.. how many actual race cars even have working lights lol?
(and thats besides le mans stuff.. since LFS doesnt have night time anyway)
Quote from XCNuse :..not really.. how many actual race cars even have working lights lol?
(and thats besides le mans stuff.. since LFS doesnt have night time anyway)

The vast majority of racing cars have lights, obvious exceptions being single seaters. Closed wheel racing cars tend to have them though, more common for American cars not to have them (Nascar, Can Am, Trans Am, Iroc). Production based cars keep the lights, including all the GTRs (Trans Am + Nascar are NOT based on a production shell) a large number of prototypes do have lights.

All the road cars in LFS would have taped up lights like they do in club racing (http://www.motorsnippets.com/c ... ch-champ-Mark-Cunnin.jpg). Professional championships will usually use a clear addhesive film.
Damn, those threads are OLD fonny.

Another +1 vote for skinnable lights.
Quote from FPVaaron :Lol @ thread date, 29-08-2002

Yep. I imagine there are reasons for not doing this yet, but
honestly, having the headlights/tailights part of the car skins
would be a BIG improvement imo and very usefull for skinners.
If sumone did make a skin with black tailights id be F*&%!
When racing close behind a car I am focused on their tailights just in case they brake early for some reason, if no lights, id end up getting kicked from the room
not if you have S2.. we have to worry about it anyway with the formulas.. it really isnt any big deal
Quote from MAM_Racing_40 :If sumone did make a skin with black tailights id be F*&%!
When racing close behind a car I am focused on their tailights just in case they brake early for some reason, if no lights, id end up getting kicked from the room

If they brake early, its there fault anyway. And, would they really kick you just for a little tap?
I suppose this idea is like many others in the wishing well, which will be repeated quite a few times, and has been already. I had a thread on the same topic. I don't want to see riced up lights either, but I think if we can do skin repaints, the lights should be repaintable as well. (in a fashion so each can see eachothers personal "touch") Do we make doing repaints unavailable because we're afraid of somebody ricing one up? No, we don't worry about it, and in the event that we do see a personal skin that's, say, not to our likeing, we just laugh at it silently and keep on racing. I want "skinned" headlights/tailights...
In the formulas it's not as important to see brake lights as braking zones are very late, and braking hard and late is always the way to go, in road cars earlier braking on a different line can be faster than a last minute panic so it's important to know when someone is braking.
Quote from MAM_Racing_40 :If sumone did make a skin with black tailights id be F*&%!

What abot "blackouts" like these:

where the brakelight can shine through?
I would guess, if completely blacked out, then you get into how the lights work/bleed through after being repainted etc, and it could get a little complicated on the dev's end. (complicated, because some people may want to have a smoked appearance, whereas others might want a completely taped off tailight etc) Even with my lack of knowledge on how all that works, I would say it could be done/made to function on a few different levels - same as a skilled person can do tons of cool things with repaints, if they know how to work well with layers etc.
Quote from wheel4hummer :What abot "blackouts" like these:
http://www.rbp.com/steven/rsw-pictures/carback.JPG
where the brakelight can shine through?

Would be a bad idea, as black is the only color in Lfs that isn't overlayed with anyother color... Just try coloring the lights of any cars plain white and see how it looks...

Taillights on skins...
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG