The online racing simulator
Realism Improvement: Big Crash = Failure
Well, i know how many thousands posts there where about realism and all sort of things, but there is one simple little thing that could be done to REALLY improve the realism of the game, in my opinion of course.

The visual effects of a crash are just a fun factor, and, even though i would love to see bits and pieces fly trough the air when some half-witted driver crashes me, it is utterly a superficial thing to be worried at this stage.

Nonetheless i believe that ANY crash, with ANY car above 100kph (60 mph) against a wall or a car or any very solid object, should immediately disable the car, total shut down.

Reason? Well, for all the formulas car, it is pretty obvious than anything besides a very light crash would be sending carbon fiber trough the air and make those cool scenes we love to watch, plus finishing the race for those who crashed.

On all the other sorts of cars, it would be pretty sure that after hitting anything at 100+ kph you would sustain a pretty decent physical and mechanical damage, and would have to drop the race.

So, what I'm saying is this: any crash at a certain speed and/or at a certain type of solid object/car (to bee discussed) should disable the car and after 15 seconds send it to the spectator mode and leave it there for the rest of the race.

Btw, it would be interesting that all servers had the "no join during race" that's a pretty realistic feature.

--

P.s.: And for the last regards, i think the grass is back to "icy" mode even though the fixed that in one of the beta patches [and i loved it was not ice anymore] and i really can't understand why the heck the tires warm up so fast making some unusable after 5 laps, it doesn't seem real to me.
your right, but i wouldnt like it. in a server you have quick medium and slow people. which makes alot of crashes. every race people are getting taken out, i think its good that they can get back on the track and still race. having a t1 pileup, and then not being able to carry on, not being able to pit and rejoin...... it would get boring imo
Wazup?

But don't you think that the "fear" of having to sit out for a whole race would make people drive with more caution in the T1?
Quote from cbalbinot :Wazup?

But don't you think that the "fear" of having to sit out for a whole race would make people drive with more caution in the T1?

No, because people would just vote for a restart

Also, cars do carry on after crashes above 60mph, for instance in touring cars/sportscars

DK
It really depends on the server and the people on it. I keep hoping that the threat of damage in the future will force people to take more care in general, and especially at T1.

I'm in mixed minds over this. On one hand I think it'd be great, because if people knew their race would be over at T1 if they ploughed their way to the front through people and they had to mid-race rejoin.
But on the other hand, if everyone just voted to restart every time it would get boring very quickly.

The question is though, how many people would choose to restart over and over because some idiot totalled everyone at T1 every time, rather than just kicking the person causing the problem?
I guess it would be similar to NetKar.

It would improve driving, but I think it is the one thing that could potentially put many people off... which of course shouldn't matter anyway.

The driving standards would definitely improve for the most part. It would be tricky to implement I would imagine for an online sim. Would lag be an issue regarding car to car contact?
Sadly, Lag is always an issue.
Haha, I bet there's a few servers where no-one would ever finish a race..
There will be a diffrent kind or Crashers then. The crashers that just puch you out in a corner so you hit the wall hard and they continue with the next one. so its a good ideah but still it will make bad things to.
Quote from dennisgtr32 :There will be a diffrent kind or Crashers then. The crashers that just puch you out in a corner so you hit the wall hard and they continue with the next one. so its a good ideah but still it will make bad things to.

That crasher would be out of the race also =]
I agree terminal damage should happen, but improvements to collision detection must happen first. At the moment, things get caught up in each other an kind of explode which makes damage unrealistic.

It should be based on impact though and not traveling speed.
I'm all in favour of having epic car failures when you have a big shunt, but like other people have said you need to improve the collision detection and damage first. Shouldn't this be in the Improvement Suggestion thread too?

p.s. the tyres probably heat up because your using the softest compound, think of them like a qualifying tyre and you will do a bit better at keeping them cool.
Realistic crashes is not a question of if, it's a question of when..
The answer is "when it's done"
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :
p.s. the tyres probably heat up because your using the softest compound, think of them like a qualifying tyre and you will do a bit better at keeping them cool.

R3`s are being used for a 6 lap fox race.. they are decently worn/hot by the last lap.

Ahm, guys, what i am suggesting is a temporary fix for a long time problem.
R3s overheating in 6 laps!?!?!?!??!!!!?!?!??!?!?! How aggressive are you!
I find it hard to destroy a set of R2 tyres over that distance. It amazes me how hard people drive on LFS, I've seen people getting punctures in 5 lap races before.
I've seen people complain about XFG tyres in 3 laps! (admittedly a while ago now though)
I'm sure car failures will eventually come when LFS gains proper damage. So far all the damage in game is just to stop people abusing game mechanics, such as wall riding, flat-shifting etc..
If you ask me there are too many "kids" not taking this sim seriously and taking the physics that it has for granted. I vote for a stricter damage model. Would be nice to have the option to disable it for those that totally despise it at the server level.
I really hate it when you see someone flying up behind you at South City. As they get closer, you realise that they are smacking in to the wall every second corner with absolutely no consequences.
They fly by you, continuing to bang the armco while you continue to drive as hard as you can, but keeping it off the walls like a proper (sim) racer.

I'm not sure that a temp fix such as the OP suggested, would work. But I really, really hope that collision detection and car/engine damage are absolutely at the top of the dev's list right now.

It would make a HUGE change to the way LFS is played, and would make thinks like clutch heat seem like an insignificant little tweaks in comparison. Bring it bloody on !!
Quote from farcar :I really hate it when you see someone flying up behind you at South City. As they get closer, you realise that they are smacking in to the wall every second corner with absolutely no consequences.
They fly by you, continuing to bang the armco while you continue to drive as hard as you can, but keeping it off the walls like a proper (sim) racer.

I'm not sure that a temp fix such as the OP suggested, would work. But I really, really hope that collision detection and car/engine damage are absolutely at the top of the dev's list right now.

It would make a HUGE change to the way LFS is played, and would make thinks like clutch heat seem like an insignificant little tweaks in comparison. Bring it bloody on !!

You can't be going very fast if your being beaten by people doing the Gran Turismo style of street circuit racing. It might not do loads of damage but it does slow you down, and a few hits to the suspension can really mess up the handling of your car.
Not really, I've seen people able to carry more corner speed and glance the wall on exit. Sure, it's risky and you won't get away with it forever, but it doesn't necessarily slow you down at all.
Realistic damage is a must and should be alot more impressive then it is at the moment... anything to make life harder on people who kamikazi crash at T1 would be good. Running over debri and such should shear tyres and full bodywork(eg.broken wing) should damage bodywork and wings atleast.(Rogue bouncing tyre should kill on impact )

Soon we'll need to look at the temperature in the cockpit, as in real life, and adjust the amount of fluid the (virtual)driver would need during the hotter races.

Love how somethings are questionable when they would affect others even if they meet the requirements to exactly what LFS is all about. Anything more REAL TO LIFE is the aim of LFS so an ALL OUT damage model is needed. Lets seperate the men from the metrosexuals and the boys.
we can fly so much high in th sky...

ha ha /

so cool.

but I do not like this...........
An Idea could be to have a Global Crash! If an server have a Global Crash for lets say 10 minutes then you can't race for 10 minutes no matter which server you race on. Both the option for Global Crash and the time it will take to repair the car should be configurable. If you have a so called Major amount of damage you will have to wait. Small amount of damage will be repaired between races.
It should also be possible for an admin to clear damage for a driver. This is important if you crash because of lag or some idiot taking people out on purpose. But the good thing is that the idiot probably want be able to race on any servers in the specified Global repair time.

When you join a server with Global repair time you will be warned of this. This will hopefully keep some of the idiots away from the server.

~b

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG