The online racing simulator
TrackIR Review
(18 posts, started )
TrackIR Review
Well I am looking into buying and getting TrackIR, or a new monitor which I have wanted. I am more about the immersion and so I think I will get TrackIR then buy the monitor in a few months... I do want some opinions of people that own and have used TrackIR with LFS. If anyone could write me a simple review about general use, pros and cons and how hard it was to setup I would really appreciate it. Also is it worth its price?
my brother has it, tryed it sometimes. I drive much worse with it. its just irritating if u ask me altho you might get used to it
I tried something similar back in the days when Track IR came out and was all the hype, but to be completely honest, I couldn't stand it after about 3 laps, yea it was fun to look around, but it's a pain in the neck, literally, and it's just weird having to turn your head about 20 degrees to the right to see 120 degrees behind you.

Actually I shouldn't say its a pain in the neck, its a strain on the eyes having to look at your screen.

I personally wouldn't recommend it, I mean it's cool and all but it's just another gadget that isn't really worth it, and if you do decide to get it I'm sure it will take weeks to get used to, I just drove around looking around, and got so absorbed in looking around that I wasn't even going fast, even when I tried to go fast it just .. wasn't natural.

Why wasn't it natural? Well, typically when I drive I look forward, I don't know about you guys, but I don't move my head unless I'm looking across intersections, I just move my eyes (well.. move my head a touch, but I don't look away from ahead and put my face in the mirrors to see out of them)
Hmm, that is a good point, it probably wouldn't feel that natural because you generally move you eyes slightly, and only turn your head when really needed. I do know of the issue with looking at the screen while turning the head, and that was one thing that kept me away from buying it before. As for looking around while driving, I don't think I would be doing that except to find where other drivers are. Is it at least easy to setup and get running with LFS?
LFS supports TrackIR by default. All you have to do is set the "Look function" to "axis".

But a head tracking system can be build much cheaper. I build mine lately out of an eye-toy cam and a usb lamp, works perfectly. It takes a time to get used to it, but now I won´t drive without it, because it gives you a more natural race feeling. Sitting in a real car you turn your head at corners, too.

Take a look at this:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=36148
I'm confused about one thing in TrackIR 4: Does it support all 6 movements (yaw, roll, pitch, x, y, z), or only 2 (pitch, yaw)? What I mean is that do I have to buy Vector pro to use all 6 DOF?

It states in here that using this you'll get all 6 DOF:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/tr ... s/product-Vector-PRO.html

Like I said, I am confused...
It seems that you get the parts required for 6DOF with the trackIR 4 PRO. The picture shows the pack comes with the clip that allows this function (its the wirethingy with the 3 rectangles connected to it).
I'm planning to buy TrackIR from Finnish webshop, and in their site it reads that there is "TrackClip" in the package (Unfortunately, no picture). I'm wondering if it is the same thing.

Better to safe than sorry.
Yes for 6DOF you require the track clip and an unlock code. The link you have posted above is of the track clip. All the track clip is, is a wire thingy with 3 reflective rectangles on it. By measuring the distances between these 3 points head position can be measured in 6DOF. The original 2DOF systems only used a single reflective point. However it should be noted that you will probably need a baseball cap or something to mount the track clip onto.

bolders

edit: Im pretty sure the track IR 4 comes complete with the track clip. The track clip on its own is an upgrade for owners of the track IR 3 pro. I will confirm this later as a friend has the TrackIR 4 PRO. HE uses it a lot for flight sims but says that it is distracting when using it with driving games.
If you could be so kind that you check it for me, I would appreciate that.

Yes, I know it can be annoying in racing simulation, but still, I would like to try it. Maybe I like it, maybe I won't. If I don't, I can always use it in Armed Assault and Operation Flashpoint.

Unluckily TrackIR costs over 200 euros in Finland, and I am too oldskool to buy it from internet. Warranty is one good reason why I'm going to buy it 15km from my frontsteps.
I have TrackIR 4. Yes, it does come with 6DOF as standard. The upgrade is to add 6DOF to TrackIR3. The TrackIR 4 reflective thingy is a metal attachment that clips on the brim of a baseball cap. However, you can just use anything with three reflective peices on it (even stick them to your head if you want) as the software can be calibrated just like a wheel or joystick.

The Trackclip Pro is an extra containing IR LEDs (just slightly easier fot the sensor to see than reflective pads) which clip to the mic boom of a headset to stop you having to wear the hat. You can still get 6DOF with the TrackIR4 without using the Trackclip pro.
Great. Thanks for the help.

After someone invents helmet with TFT-visor, I can put reflective stickers to it and voi'la: Erection guaranteed!
YOu dont know how long ive been waiting for some good hi-res 3d glasses at reasonable cost to be sold so I can run it with a trackIR - that would be so awsome
BUMP

They've already built that, lol...well close enough

My brother is determined to do the same thing only with Track IR3.

Here is a youtube vid: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=nM6b517XylE

Here is the full post about the project: http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=201.0

EDIT: Forgot to ask, can I change the sensitivity of the Track IR? I've seen a lot of vids where the guy's head moves 20º and the game moves 120...this would be annoying when you have a screen that moves with you.
That was a great job Matt0snap, how have you been mate? (It's Tysmyster here from TWIP) Still into building stuff like this? We haven't heard from you in a while.
Quote from mborgdorff :That was a great job Matt0snap, how have you been mate? (It's Tysmyster here from TWIP) Still into building stuff like this? We haven't heard from you in a while.

Hello Tysmyster, Struan80 here just joined TWIP yesterday...it's a smallworld. Ordered myself a cockpit....you site is likely costing me a fortune
Well' I've had TI4 for about six months now, and my feelings are that a lot of you guys don't give it a fair chance.

When I first tried to use it I really struggled with it, in fact it actually made me feel nauseous and had to come away from my screen till I felt better again.

But its the same as just about everything,- to get the best out of this kit you have to persevere and get used to it.
It took a while, but now I would not consider driving without it. Sure turning your head to change your view felt a bit odd at first - but like trying use a hammer with your left hand feels odd at first, its amazing how quickly you get used to it and soon becomes second nature.

I spent quite a few weeks tweaking it to my tastes, I hated the standard setups as I found them too sensitive at dead centre, I'm now able to move my head a little without the screen view altering too much, its not until I move my head a little more than natural fidgit movements, that the screen view really starts to move and respond when I want it too.

I find it makes track re-entry much safer in most cases, - when I have had an off I find it easier to look for a gap in the traffic to re-enter the race, a much safer proposition for everybody.

Now I don't really notice that I am using TIR, everything is second nature to me now, I look around me without realizing the false way in which I do it, it has become part of my racing experience and would hate to have to do without it.

I personally think some of you guys are expecting too much too soon, and it just ain't like that.
You have to work a little for the rewards that this kit brings.
I wrote a review on here somewhere after buying mine back last year, it is very annoying to race without it; even for 1 lap. Hotlapping without it isn't terrible but you can easily loose the sense of immersion that TrackIR gives, nothing compares... Well worth the money, for immersion sake, well worth it.

TrackIR Review
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG