The online racing simulator
Wobbly LCD's
(16 posts, started )
Wobbly LCD's
Just bought a 20.6" LCD...i'm not at home so I haven't tried with the G25 but isn't this thing going to wobble a lot while playing ?

I got all I need to build a steel base to mount the screen on instead of the "springy" plastic one. Will it be worth it? Haven't seen any complains about that in here so maybe it's less noticeable while playing

Screen's a LG L206WTY by the way if you care
I put plastic bubblewrap under the lcd -> works just fine and damps most of the g25 vibration Also, I bought a rubber carmat, sliced it, and put it under g25. Seems to stop most of it (100% FF)
thx I'll give it a shot and see what happens
I've got a dish towel between my G25 and my desk and I've never had screen wobbling issues.
I don't know about the posts saying they don't have a problem, but I am thinking about getting an LCD for my next screen. I am worried not about vibrations from the G25, but more about the force it can take toe spin it around (when on a hefty FFB setting). It has at time made my 2 CRTs wiggle around quite a bit. (I only play LFS on one but I do have dual screens). I will probably buy straps so that I can strap the LCD screen to my desk as I am very afraid it could flop over... As for the bubble wrap / towel idea, I don't think that helps what I am talking about, actually those ideas may make it more unstable if anything... It is my mind so maybe I misread your posts. I would think there would be wobble issues since i have a CRT that wobbles, but I haven't got an LCD screen yet so maybe others have more ideas / support for us.
I've got the towel under my G25, I agree bubblewrap under the monitor does sound more unstable.

I imagine monitor stability is mostly affected by the desk itself, if its not sturdy then I guess I could see there being problems with the G25 or any other wheel with some powerful FF. My desk is pretty beefy and must weight at least 150 pounds so I bet that has more to do with it than a dish towel.
Yea my desk weighs maybe 50lbs at the most. That might even give it some additional weight, 30lbs is more like it... idk its not very hard to move around, even with the CRTs on it... But I am sure that is my issue.
My monitor wobbled badly, even on a very heavy table that held it and the wheel. I Made a wooden mount/frame that held the monitor instead of its plastic stand -- no shake or wobble at all now.

I'll post pictures if I get a chance...
Quote from UncleBenny :I imagine monitor stability is mostly affected by the desk itself, if its not sturdy then I guess I could see there being problems with the G25 or any other wheel with some powerful FF.

Im not an expert, but I think the desk would absorb the vibration, no matter how sturdy the table is. So if you use some material in between the desk and the g25, you still feel the vibration, but most of it would be absorbed by the material instead of the desk.
Quote from pine-fin :Im not an expert, but I think the desk would absorb the vibration, no matter how sturdy the table is. So if you use some material in between the desk and the g25, you still feel the vibration, but most of it would be absorbed by the material instead of the desk.

In the case of his post, he was talking about the desk moving when you yank on the wheel because that was my fear with buying an LCD screen. I have a light weight desk, and have moved the CRTs a few times in heavy action... As for vibrations, I think a lighter weighted desk / less sturdy wouldn't be as good at absorbing the vibrations...
Yeah definetly..

I was more worried by movement rather than vibration. Steel frame should be fine and i'll put a rubber mat under it if vibration goes through the frame easily.

And I'm straping this thing on the desk for sure...looks waaaaay too easy to flip for my taste.
Unless your desk is made out of concrete, it will vibrate, wobble, and even move around some when you are racing. These movements end up making the LCD wobble even worse, because most LCD monitors have a spindly little stand that accentuates any motions of the the desk it is sitting on.

What I needed was a stand that was really stiff and locked the LCD screen's motions to those of the desk. I bolted a crossbar to the back of the monitor and use that to slide into stand and hold it upright.
Attached images
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
I have a 20" LCD monitor, and I don't notice any excessive wobbling when I play with my Momo. When you immerse yourself in the game, you likely won't notice slight wobbling.
Haha, nice one... Well when your immersed in the game, you come quickly back to reality when your monitor flies off your desk... My setup isn't against a wall as most are... When I was using my laptop, I had the display fall backwards more then once while racing, and I don't know how an LCD screen will be. About the vibrations, I wouldn't notice that, or even a slight wobble probably wouldn't be noticeable, but the screen falling to its death certainly would end my race...
#15 - Jakg
Get a better desk, i'm using a massive oak dining table as a desk and a PC magazine as a monitor stand and while i see stuff on my desk shake a bit when the FF gets going, i've never seen my monitor move.
Getting another desk isn't an option where as this one works fine... I think I will stick with my original thought and just strap the monitor down when I do buy one...

Wobbly LCD's
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG