The online racing simulator
Weird neck pains :/
(20 posts, started )
Well ever since i got my new pc at christmas ive been using a crappy chair and i tend to lean over the screen a bit and im starting to get some very painful short stabbing pains in my neck, im just interested if it could be the chair etc or my desk etc, or is it just im generaly using my pc to much? all thoe i didnt use my old one any less (differant desk etc) and didnt get these pains
First check if someone is trying to stab you in the neck next time the pain shows up. The neck stabbing can cause short stabbing pain in the neck.
Quote from spankmeyer :First check if someone is trying to stab you in the neck next time the pain shows up. The neck stabbing can cause short stabbing pain in the neck.

Rofl, not helpful bet very amusing, checked but sadly no theres noone trying to stab me in the neck
Quote from jimaxx :Rofl, not helpful bet very amusing, checked but sadly no theres noone trying to stab me in the neck

After thinking really hard for a while, all I could think of is four words:
GO TO A DOCTOR
Probably the chair. I bought myself a new computer chair a few months ago and I would get pains in my back while getting used to it. My old chair kept me in a leaned back position and this new one keeps me upright so it took awhile to get used to.
Quote from NetDemon01 :Probably the chair. I bought myself a new computer chair a few months ago and I would get pains in my back while getting used to it. My old chair kept me in a leaned back position and this new one keeps me upright so it took awhile to get used to.

Sounds like that could be it as my old chair >Leaner back position
new chair> Straight up Think ima just buy a decent pc chair again,
Cheers,
JIm.
Try moving things around. Monitor, Keyboard, chair settings. While the problem may be the chair, moving something else may put you in a different position.

I get headaches sometimes after being in front of a computer screen for a long time. My solution is to change the distance between the screen and my eyes every once in a while. Maybe a similar solution exists for you.
It's deffinitely the chair, I have a crappy chair downstairs, just a wood chair with 2 cushions (one got flat over the past decade or so, so I doubled it up), but I often find myself leaning forward and having to force myself to lean against the back of the chair.

Seriously though, go to an office max (if yall have those?) or something of the sort and check out the chairs there, and make sure it's a chair that makes you want to lean back.
Buy a better chair, I bought a £90 office chair, it is so comfortable. I can race for hours on end without so much as getting a numb bum cheek or a sore back.
#11 - JTbo
Neck strain?

Bad chair makes my arse to hurt after long racing, but when wheel/table/mouse is too high and my headphones cord pulls a bit, I get very hard pain on left side of my neck, almost impossible to turn head after that until it eases up. Some tension in neck, massage helps, good ergonomics cures.
I have the cure:

Blu-ray laser neck surgery*

*Blu-ray laser neck surgery is dangerous and proven to not help neck pains.
There is no substitute for proper ergonomics!

You need to be able to change the height of the chair so your thigh gets support from both the chair and the lower leg. The chair also need to support the full thigh all the way to the knee.
The back needs to have a good curve and angle for the workload, so you can lean forward some when writing(pen paper type), lean back when watching youtube and somewhere in the middle for normal computer work - and support the lower back (about opposite side of the belly button) all the time.
Wheels are good so you can vary the distance to the desk slightly.

You also need to have the screen at the right height so you dont have to look up at it but not have to look down so much that you have to support the weight of your head with the neck muscles, you should balance it effortlessly on top of the neck.
Being able to vary the desk height is not required but nifty (I raised my desk using bits of 2x4" lumber)

My chair costs over eur700 new (I bought it slightly used for eur200, which I consider a bargain) but ofcourse it depends on how much time you plan to spend in the chair. Mine is certified to be confortable for 8h, but I realy need a walk after 10h. If you are fit and young you can compensate for a uncomfortable chair (as long as you sit correctly) preferably by taking short breaks and constantly varying your stature.

I know it sounds outrageous but If this chair breaks I would probably not go cheaper than eur200 I would possibly just cry alot and cough up the full eur700 or whatever it costs to replace it. It has survived several of my computers, and probably a few more.

IKEA has som great chairs and some horrible ones (decent chairs eur100 and up)

To your specific problem, maybe you should use a bigger font in your browser so you can see properly? Or use the zoom in the Opera browser (I use that all the time) to get all pages readable from a distance. (I got over a meter between the screen and my nose, that's probably too far)
#14 - wark
See a chiropractor. Your insurance will probably take care of the first few visits at least.
These pains seem mysterious to me. If you were 30 or older, I'd say you should read up on ergonomics and adjust your seat, desk and PC position. But your profile says you are 14, and an average 14 y.o. body can take a lot of un-ergonomic (ab)use before it starts to hurt.

That is... unless you have had an injury from sports or from an accident. That may have pushed some bones and joints in a wrong position, causing pain. (Note: It could be an injury in the shoulder region or lower down in your spine. The cause of the pain does not necessarily have to be where you feel it.) In that case, consider a visit to a doctor. Another possible explanation is that your body has had a growth spurt, making it extra sensitive to a wrong working position.

In any case, take the pains seriously. The neck is a delicate piece of machinery. If the muscles in the neck go haywire, you can get terrible headaches.
#16 - JTbo
Quote from wark :See a chiropractor. Your insurance will probably take care of the first few visits at least.

Insurance? What is that one for?
Quote from JTbo :Insurance? What is that one for?

coz like here in usa if u dont have insurance they will charge you 5000$ for 1 visit,oc depend whats ur problem
#18 - JTbo
Quote from e2mustang :coz like here in usa if u dont have insurance they will charge you 5000$ for 1 visit,oc depend whats ur problem

I know, we don't, we have insane taxes instead
However crap it may be the english health service kind of provails with its National Health Service (Essentially free CRAP) insurance
It only provails if youd like to wait 4 years to have a disease which will kill you 2 years thoe Tbh if it wasnt free i woudnt see it been payed for.
/on topic Im going to use the old chair for a while and see if its any better

Edit: Free for minors as we dont pay tax.
Well i just got my chair andive been on it since about 10 the pains back but not as bad, if i rub my hand across it it kind of stings :S
Im leaning all the way back atm and moving around alot trying to get comfy but it just keeps coming back ill probably see about going to the doctors about it :/

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG