The online racing simulator
Drifting Experience
(21 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
Drifting Experience
Just wondering if anyone has done the drifting experience in Cambridgeshire, because I will be doing it in about 2 months for my b'day, and was just wondering what it is like. I know you go on a rally track first then it says you go and drift on a track is that a normal tarmac track or a dirt track.
If anyone has done it and has videos/pictures could you send me the links to them. It seems like a good day out, and you also get to have a ride in a drift tuned car with an expert drifter for a little bit more, which should be fun.
:riceboy: lol oj.

Dunno what to say really, Good Luck i guess
#3 - sam93
Quote from pearcy_2k7 ::riceboy: lol oj.

Dunno what to say really, Good Luck i guess

Nah, I'm not a rice boy, still drift now and again in lfs, but mostly race. Whats wrong with sliding a car now and again, drifting is a good skill to have in racing can become usefull at times.
#4 - aoun
Sam, i used to say that sometimes. I used to say straight out, drifting can be really fast on the race track. I started to realize i was talking bullshit and was thinking of power sliding. Power sliding helps in SOME cases, and even in those some cases, gripping to the track is perhaps faster.

Drifting is not faster, and its not really much of a good skill to have IMO. Its just a waste. If you have a skill to race, it should include controlling the car if it goes sideways, not having the skill to drift itself, if that makes sense.
#5 - Jakg
When i got the demo of LFS i spent all my time dicking about in the car park, hand brake turning, sliding, j-turning etc. This actually proved VERY useful as most LFS'ers seem to "lock up" when the car goes over the edge, whereas i can either recover or spin the whole car back round again. Drifting in itself is about "feeling" the car and it's balance, and while that isn't useful, you can "feel" what the car is going to do on the limit, and when it gets over the limit what you can do to compensate.
TBH I wouldn't pay a penny for a drifting experience. Back here we have 'Drifting Nights' in a city not too far and it's only 40$ a night (16:00-22:00) and there are real drifters getting in your car and helping you for 0.00$! Why would you spend hundred dollars when you can probably do it for cheaper and probably better peoples for a bit of the price? My opinion, your money...
Quote :it should include controlling the car if it goes sideways, not having the skill to drift itself, if that makes sense.

That's where drifting comes in. I've seen a lot of people spinning because of a simple slide, or a bit of oversteer. Drifting is a good way to practice controling the oversteer of RWD's
#8 - nihil
Quote from aoun :

If you have a skill to race, it should include controlling the car if it goes sideways, not having the skill to drift itself, if that makes sense.

No... it doesn't make any sense at all. You just saw the poster say it was useful sometimes and jumped on the "LFS is race simulator" soap box.
#9 - sam93
Well in the UK, drifting isn't as big as it is in Canada, plus on the drift experience in the UK it is expert/professional drifters teaching you, just in a car what is made for sliding the Ford RST.
It is only £129, not much really. Plus what is the point in taking your own car to be shown how it can be drifted and get your tires worn down. I love racing but as you can't do that in the UK as you have to have a license, I went for drifting, you can do racing under 18 without a license but it isn't very good. Drifting is for showing how much balls you have and showing off, soon drifting will be known by everyone, I still drift now and again on LFS, but not as much as I race.

When I said drifting can be pretty good in racing I mean, it can be useful sometimes to past someone as you don't have to brake so hard. Drifting doesn't help much in racing but now and again it can become useful.
hey im not knocking drifting, if you want to do it then do it. In the demo days and early S2 days i used to also drift. Taught me some car control so not all bad i suppose.
come over to ireland we will teach u how to drift we are way better at it
Quote from dj-fluxsa :come over to ireland we will teach u how to drift we are way better at it

Yes, with PDIRL world famous....
Lol, it is only an experience day, no one can say that they haven't drifted in lfs. It is one of those things what will be settled when drifting becomes very popular in the world. I love to drift but my main passion for motorsport is racing, more of a competition.

So as my question was, as we have gotten a little off topic, does anyone have any videos of the drifting experience and has anyone done it.
#14 - aoun
Quote from nihil :No... it doesn't make any sense at all. You just saw the poster say it was useful sometimes and jumped on the "LFS is race simulator" soap box.

What do you mean that i jumped on the "LFS is race simulator" soap box?

Please explain. How have i? I dont think ive said the words LFS or simulator in my post..
Quote from aoun :
Please explain.

No

Not interested in arguing a petty point. You asked if you were making any sense. You weren't. I apologise for interrupting the flow of this thread.
Quote from sam93 :Nah, I'm not a rice boy, still drift now and again in lfs, but mostly race. Whats wrong with sliding a car now and again, drifting is a good skill to have in racing can become usefull at times.

Rally maybe, but not racing, if you know how to race a car, you know how to drift. You don't need drifting in any shape or form to help you in racing. If you have a tyre out or something, you would just slowdown so the back end didn't come out so you weren't a danger to other drivers and just pit.
you see, did you see the top gear 10X10 episode where they went to spain, now that would be a dream vacation to be at that track... but what you are doing is fun never the less, to be at a track where you can drive all you want is fun.

but drifting is not just blatently throwing traction away, it is desrcibed by Tiff Needle(ex-F1 driver and show host) to be the ultamate way to show off your car control skills. To learn how to drift, you need to learn the basis of driving anyways, or else you would just spinout till kingdom come.
I used to go to the track and have some sideways fun back in the day I had a E36... don't forget the tools for changing rear wheels and a helmet as rebounds can cause you hit the door with your head if the car is small enough
#19 - neRu
Sure as hell I'm glad for my LFS drifting experience, saved my ass a couple of times in several cars
Quote from neRu :Sure as hell I'm glad for my LFS drifting experience, saved my ass a couple of times in several cars

if anything it helps gets your hand dexterity up without having to go to a vacant lot somewhere and beat the s**t out of your car

Its helped me out a couple times as well :P
#21 - JTbo
Is Birmingham near you? I know someone who did go to Birmingham wheels to drift quite often, I think he still goes, he got some license / certificate whatever and I think he is at Driftworks now.

I think it was this, but I have not never been too much interested in it, so information usually has gone bit by, only interest has been for my rtractor mod as car should be able to do what it does IRL too
http://www.driftworks.com/

Here is his old project

Drifting Experience
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG