The online racing simulator
Quote from boosterfire :I just can't agree with that! Come on! IF the hotlaps could do all the talking, the physics would have to be PERFECT, which they aren't. illepall

i dont understand, i was just pointing out that the xfg and fxo are the fastest in their classes.illepall

btw, i have a video of a mini with a 150hp honda civic engine oversteering alot when attacking corners on the nurburgring.
#27 - JTbo
FWD always need to share steering and braking/accelerating grip, that makes also difference, but skilled driver knows how to minimize this effect, as you know you can throw tail around corner in RWD and you can do same with FWD it is just bit different.

One trick is to keep little pressure on brakes, so you are helping rear to come bit side and use engine power to pull car straight at exit.

I'm not sure If I remember correctly but mini was one car that could do this rather easily with mostly throttle control.

Brakes can also be used as ghetto traction control, so when exiting corner you can get boost and with brake you keep front wheel still gripping.

There is actually quite many techiques to play with.

I'm not saying which one is faster than other, I only say that both FWD and RWD has own tricks and both can be much faster than 99% of us can handle them.

I saw a bug too, but then I smashed it with my Maglite, no more bug
#28 - Gunn
Quote from JTbo :
I'm not sure If I remember correctly but mini was one car that could do this rather easily with mostly throttle control.

The Mini, though, is a bit of a special case since it has very small wheels and a small wheelbase and weighs nothing much at all. Quite easy to throw those little roller skates around
#29 - JTbo
Quote from Gunn :The Mini, though, is a bit of a special case since it has very small wheels and a small wheelbase and weighs nothing much at all. Quite easy to throw those little roller skates around

I remember some historical dokument that has story how when they 1st showed mini to press they drove around, did 180-turns and 360's, then all reporters would like to test these incredible little cars that handled so well, I think that there was mention that several of these demo cars were wrecked by journalist that tryed so hard to make those 180-degree turns.

Suspension is also quite different from other cars, there was these rubber springs, were those cone shaped, anyway no metal springs at all, so that made cars also handle like go cart or something.

Too bad my memory is so bad already, only very faint images from that dokument are what I remember

Hey, I'm not completely senile yet, http://www.minisport.com/class ... rubber-cones-product.html
There is rubber cones instead of metal springs in Mini
Well, as of now, the XF and FXO are a lot lighter, have better power to weight ratios, better transmission efficiency (which makes sense), and in the case of the FXO, fatter tires.

So, in a track in LFS they are faster, probably because of those weird locked diff effects and such.......

But hey, you are an autoxer, in autox the RWDs are generally faster (in LFS)
Quote from ChuckDeez :i think RWD is still better.

what a crappy comment illepall

Now anyway, I'm driving a Mini and I still try to get the LFS-frontwheelers to handle like my little road sticking racing lemon... all 4 wheels pushing to the outside in corners, brake--->slight oversteer, gas--->slight understeer. Nothing more predictable than this car. and if you want to oversteer more just corner faster, then one wheel lifts and the little bum turns you where you want to go, without using rear stab (how could you??) or diff lock.
I once tried to setup the gti like my mini, it was just horrible, but I just think that without the...hmmm... how do you call the "popometer" butt-meter??... you'll never get the same driving sensation.
Quote from Gunn :The Mini, though, is a bit of a special case since it has very small wheels and a small wheelbase and weighs nothing much at all. Quite easy to throw those little roller skates around

Indeed! I was just gonna mention something like this. The Mini practicly
invented FWD packaging and every freaking FWD car today descends in a
way or another from it. It also made a name precisely because of it's good
handling ! It beat soooo many cars in it's days, it became a legend.
This is perhaps the worse example to use as a 'generic FWD' , it
still outhandles most modern cars to this day. In a way, it's like the Miata,
you just don't expect these cars to perform THAT well, but they do !!
They litteraly run circles around competitors and 'better' cars.

That said, there are some physics bugs here and there making BOTH FWD
and RWD act a bit differently in certain conditions as you'd expect them
to from experience in real cars. Recovery from a slide in FWD and
accelerating out of corners with RWD, to name only 2. Apart from the
specification differences, i think it's much easier and takes less time to
push any FWD at it's limits in LFS whereas RWD cars don't forgive as
much. Spinning out at a corner's exit often means losing the race,
whereas some small understeer mid-corner can often be corrected and
will only make the car not turn at all if your a bonified n00b. In any case,
you still stand a better chance in the FWD than any LFS RWD cars
I blame the tire modeling. I get better traction at optimal tire temp. with hybrid tires on the XRG than I do with normal tires??

Now that doesnt make sense to me, as the normal tires are road tires and hybrid tires are made for rallying on both gravel and tarmac, and there fore the threads are larger on the hybrids?

Ive driven 200hp RWD cars and none of them have been as slippery and tail happy as the RWD cars in LFS. I dont think the tire model is fully developed yet.

Where at alpha stage so a lot of things can change before S2 final
Quote from Sp3cTr3 :I blame the tire modeling. I get better traction at optimal tire temp. with hybrid tires on the XRG than I do with normal tires??

Now that doesnt make sense to me, as the normal tires are road tires and hybrid tires are made for rallying on both gravel and tarmac, and there fore the threads are larger on the hybrids?

Well, someone once said that hybrid tyres are like that in real life too. They have lots of grip, but they burn out fast on asphalt (driving on the dirt cools them down).
Only thing wrong with this is that hybrid tyres are race tyres and road normals aren't. That makes hybrids so good. But then again you really can't use hybrid tyres in "real races" which last longer than 5 laps

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG