The online racing simulator
lfs crashing on me :( [solved]
(7 posts, started )
ok basically i run my shortcut and it goes black then im back on the desktop with no LFS, i had smokemod installed, reinstalled lfs uninstalled smokemod and then it worked, so i thought try smokemod again, nope no go, then i delete it try fire up lfs and it still wont run, wtf is going on?

patch 5Q

edit: ok i tryed straight after posting didnt work, then straight after i tried again and it booted 5 times in a row, not sure whats up here
ahwell as long as it can run
ok the problem is worse now, i tried to open lfs 24 times and it just crashed every ****ing time, im so pissed off right now
Does sound like a serious problem.. but for folks to help you, you will have to get specific (i.e. computer hardware specs and software such as operating system, antivirus software and any other software you might have running at the time) also try remember what changes you might have made or someone else made around the time it started to occur.. (thats any changes even if you think they are unrelated to LFS) basically the more specific you are the more likely someone will be able to help
ok specs we have here
p4 2.4 @ 2.7 clock has been stable for bout a year now but i will try drop it to 2.4 tomorro (too tired to try anything atm)
sapphire radeon 9700 pro 256bit (5.11 cats) may try 5.12s tomorro
epox 4pea+ mobo
1gb kingston hyperX pc3200 ram
xp pro sp2

i installed NOD32 after to check if i had any viruses, the only thing i can think of that ive installed was the ghost car mod and smokemod also installed windowsblinds but id doubt thatd affect lfs surely
ok Shuan you just have to go through a process of elimination to determine what it is thats causing your problems..
Some steps I'd suggest for your situation are;

1. Install S2 Alpha P in a seperate new folder (not in the same as your current installation) and see if it runs (don't use your desktop shortcut, run it directly) If it doesn't run goto 3.

2. If it runs fine unpgrade the new instillation to Patch Q and see if it still runs fine (if it's working create a new desktop shortcut and your away, your old installation directory must have got compromised)

3. Ok so far if it is still not working we've determined that a clean instilation of LFS doesn't work were it did before on your machine, if thats the case something has changed in your machine since that original time that is causing LFS problems now. The question is what? To find this we need to continue to eliminate possible causes..

4. At this point I'd suggest opening your case and just check for dust build up inside (as we are coming into summer and you've stated that your machine is overclocked) any buildup of dust around heat sinks will significantly reduce the ability of them to keep your PC cool as it acts as insulation... also while the cover is off I'd suggest checking that all fans are operating correctly.

5. Put all your CMOS BIOS settings back to a normal state and test LFS again.

6. Ok if you get to this point its most likely confilcting software or drivers. I actually wouldn't recommend updating to newer drivers yet because your system was working previously with these drivers (updating to new drivers can just complicate things as they can bring new problems)... it is possible that drivers have become corrupt, so reinstalling drivers can correct that. Make sure you restart after reinstalling before you test if there is any change.. Also reapplying SP2 and Directx...

Anyway try these steps and let us know how you get along...

If you've still got a problem we can look into it more, again though the more you can tell us about the more likely someone will be able to help
It's always better to test one thing at a time (yes it's time consuming ) so you don't end up chasing your tail...
yeh i cant remember what clock im at now prob 2.4 but i made a new folder copied my setups driver files skins etc and did a new install, and so far its running floorless, i did try the old version @ 2.4ghz and it crashed so ill jump up to my 2.7 and see whats going on

cheers for the help

edit: @ 2.7 Ghz all running fine now, seems strange but hopefully i dont kill it again
Great Shaun it's working from what you have said I'd say that one or more of the important files in the original directory has become corrupted most likely by the installing and uninstalling of the mods...

When installing anything new (i.e. new patch or mod) to LFS it would be good practise to backup the entire directory or at least all except skins and skins-x folders then if it stuffs up you can restore it from the backup and your away again

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG