The online racing simulator
Minimum specs to run highest settings/full grid/software dev
Hi all, I haven't played this game for a long time. I may build a new machine for LFS and it will also serve as a software dev machine.

I was looking into the Quad Core Q6600 with 2+GB memory. I'm guessing LFS will only take advantage of a single core - does anyone know if that particular processor is fast enough to handle a full AI grid with atleast 60fps?

As far as the video card, LFS is probably going to be the only game I play so my only requirements are two DVI out ports. Which video card can handle LFS currently with max settings (with a little extra power to handle any visual updates that may happen in S3)? I currently have two 20.1" 1600x1200 LCD monitors and I'm guessing the game will look best at the LCD's native resolution (this is my first time using LCD's for gaming )

Thanks
#2 - garph
System:

e6750
7950 gx2
2gig (ddr2 6400)

Just done a quick test, XFR at Blackwood and 20 AI's.

1280x960
Max in game LFS settings.
AFx16
AAx4 (can have more but can't tell)

And at the back of the grid, in car I got 52fps which dropped to a lowest of 45 at T1 then depending on what position I watched from it was 50 to 100 plus for the rest of the lap. I would say anything below 20 and I start to worry, you really start to notice the fps lag/stutter at around 15 or less.

EDIT: I think that processor would be fine, you'd need something like an nvidia 8800 series (or ati equivalent) graphics card.
#3 - ajp71
I don't think any computer will be able to handle that at over 60, my computer (E6750/8800GT) is down to about 45 on online starts, and slightly lower at the new South City, with full everything. It's not really a problem though.
#4 - VoiD
Did a few quick tests.

I´m too lazy to post my system.

Running 1280*1024/32bit@70Hz (which is native), 6*Adaptive AA, 16*Highest quality AF, Vsync is on, Tripple-buffering on, Fps in LFS is capped at 71. I have all avaiable eyecandy installed and I´m using high-res-skins and Cockpit-view.

At the start I get 45-50 fps, depends on track. Under normal race conditions may fps stays nicely above 60 fps. South City seems to be a bit more GFX-intensive, subtracts 5 fps. My 512 Mb GFX-Ram stays between 100-150 Mb.

I doubt that higher fps will give you a better (more noticable ?) experience.
Thanks guys
#6 - VoiD

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG