The online racing simulator
low FPS?
(11 posts, started )
low FPS?
Hi, I'm not online much (never race online) and just was wondering if there is any way of fixing this. No matter what I do, I start out with decent FPS (anywhere from 32-60 depending on settings), but within about 30 seconds it drops, noticeably, down to about 15-18, then climbs to 22, then shoots back up to normal for about 30 seconds, then drops again. It does this all the time, and did it on my previous computer (completely different setup) as well. I'm currently running a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 3 gigahertz processor and about 700 megs of ram. It DOES have awesome FPS...when it works. But then it drops again. And goes up, and comes down. Its really starting to annoy me, and I don't know what to do, as I've tried everything in LFS, and updated just about everything possible on my laptop (which improved FPS from 50 to 60, but it still drops to 15). What am I missing? Thanks
Does your laptop have any CPU throttling to conserve batter power? Speedstep was the last I heard of such a thing, but that was several years ago, and even though some systems were plugged in, they still acted wierd... and in this case, games would speed up and down constantly because of it.

But you said you had the same problem on an earlier system, was that a laptop too?

Strange though... might as well post some detailed system specs so we can get some options to what it might be.

Also by the way, in the game, fool around with the 'Minimum Sleep' option (try each setting one by one, and see if it helps).
Sounds like Intel SpeedStep to me, you should be able to disable it in power options. I can run LFS at 50 FPS on my 1.7 GHz IBM laptop just fine with SpeedStep off. It's under power management>advanced settings>CPU power management.

Note: It used to be called SpeedStep in the pre Centrino days, I'm not sure what it's called now.

<edit>I believe the CPU power management is an IBM tool, I'd have to look at my girlfriend's Toshiba Satellite to find it there, unfortunately, she's in Maryland visiting family for christmas right now :-/</edit>
Thanks, I hadn't played with the Minimum sleep enough. Setting it at 8 ms works, but 7 and under has this problem. I had been playing with it at 1-5 I think. cheers.
I had this major slow-down problem in GPL. It made the game play like it was in slow motion, then every once in a while, it would jump back to normal speed. It made it very hard to drive

The power settings are what fixed it. The CPU was going into some sort of slow, power-saving mode. When I turned all those options off, the problem went away.
Hey

I had a major FPS problem myself and i play on a laptop..

For months things were going fine with 30-60FPS on full grids, then all of a sudden dropping to 5-6FPS...

My problem was overheating, a known issue with this Toshiba laptop. Solution: Place laptop on four DrPepper bottle tops, increased frames to around 20 constantly,

dunno if that helps at all, but now clearning the laptop away from the desk really helped.

And make sure it's Dr. Pepper, don't use Pepsi or Mt. Dew caps.
Quote from mkinnov8 :Hey

I had a major FPS problem myself and i play on a laptop..

For months things were going fine with 30-60FPS on full grids, then all of a sudden dropping to 5-6FPS...

My problem was overheating, a known issue with this Toshiba laptop. Solution: Place laptop on four DrPepper bottle tops, increased frames to around 20 constantly,

dunno if that helps at all, but now clearning the laptop away from the desk really helped.

I'm only using one mountain dew cap, thats my problem...
I get this jump in fps when playing on my laptop ,its not intel and when running on mains speedstep is disabled (my desktop PC does not have this prob ).
I did an ESL league race at KY National last week and noticed that the fps would be at 70-90 fairly constant however at the same points on the track would drop off to 30-40 fps then as you passed another point would shoot back to normal, this didnt seem random to me at all , I have noticed this at BL1 also a while back but assumed it was some other process using the cpu ,after last week I am not so sure .

both these PCs run amd cpus desktop is xpm2400 barton. and laptop is Athlon 64 3000. however the laptop uses a nvidia fx go 5700 where the system that dosent jump fps is ATI based 9800 pro I know its a little more complex than this and will try and reproduce this to find if it is maybe a process running thats eating the fps

SD.
That happens to me too, on BL1, after T1 and AS3 last chicane at least.. weird :S
I'm playing in the fridge. Keeps my frame rate up but I can't press the keys properly because of my mittens.

low FPS?
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG