The online racing simulator
Pace lap
(32 posts, started )
Pace lap
Hello everyone.

I have a humble suggestion for the next patch / version of LFS. Of course not seem to be easy to do. But is there enough time in my mind to opine. I Tried find any topic about this, But i not had success.

It would be a good idea, a automatic Pace Car be developed? (with a choice of server - yes or no)? Since many leagues have to do this manually and sometimes some unexpected things happens.

What do you think?

My post is just an opinion, do not want any kind of flame or fights. It is only a civilized discussion about the specific topic given.

Thanks.
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
i think is a good idea for the new patches.. It wouldn´t be very hard to get and configurate in my opinion, and many leagues uses a manual pace car and pace lap (or lag lap)

Tho pace car is used in many ways in real life, like F1 / Nascar starts, aswell as it can be / are used when accidents happens on the track.

The reason why I don`t want to see it implented in LFS is because I look at it as a waste of development time. It`s not really something that are nessesary, nor very helpfull. Of course it`s a nice little feature, but I don`t really see the use of it.

First thing - at start. A warm up lap with pace car in front will be 1 - anyoing, 2 - someone will allways manage to ignore it / make an accident on the warm up lap.

Secondly, pace car when caution on track. Nah, I don`t like it, mostly because I look on it as a way of disturbing the race. Of course, in real life it`s not nessesary, but in game it would only once again - be anoying
There's a warm up lap and pace car on F1 06 on the PS2 and while it sounds great, it's really tedious and unnecessary.

Nice for realism, but in practice dead boring!
A pace car would be good for long league races, and when a full-course caution comes out, we should have some way to know which car to follow, which would help a LOT to prevent stops and crashes under yellow.
Now, let's split this one up in to basically what it means

Formation laps (AKA green flag laps) - good idea for league races. Make it an option.
Rolling starts - good idea for the oval and endurance races, again make it optional.
Safety cars - very good idea. I'd like to see it as a FZ5 with a light bar, as seen as that sort of car is used a lot of the time as an SC. Instead of it just being and on/off option, I'd rather see it as an automatic/manual/off thing. That way, it would automatically deploy the SC but an admin could do it if desired. Or have it on an only if an admin says so option.

All of these are reposts, but everything needs a repost once in a while
+1 from me, when it's good developed.

Pace Car is just a part of racing, and since this is a racing game, a Pace car belongs in it.
It would be good as an option, like you can have pit stops. Maybe during yellow flags?

jon
#9 - Gunn
+1 from me. A warm up lap behind an AI pace car would be great IMO.
If people want it that bad, why not just follow the PP car around 1 warmup lap? Then, everyone happy and no waste of dev`s time
Quote from The Very End :If people want it that bad, why not just follow the PP car around 1 warmup lap? Then, everyone happy and no waste of dev`s time

Why should it be a waste of the dev's time ?
You belive that the pace car just will appear by itself?
Quote from The Very End :You belive that the pace car just will appear by itself?

No, but I really don't see why a pace car in a race simulator would be a waste of the dev's time. IMO it should be in a racegame.
Well, it`s imo of course
Imo the dev`s has alot more important things to change/umorove&upgrade/implent in the game, than a pace car.
But again, thats imo
Quote from The Very End :Well, it`s imo of course
Imo the dev`s has alot more important things to change/umorove&upgrade/implent in the game, than a pace car.
But again, thats imo

I agree, but there are less important things added in LFS too.

Oh well, we'll just see what the devs will do in the future.
#16 - Gunn
Quote from The Very End :You belive that the pace car just will appear by itself?

The AI can already drive out of the pit, lap, and repit. That's all an AI pace car would need to do. If it was speed-limited with penalties for overtaking during the parade lap(s), it still doesn't seem too complicated to develop.
it would be a good addition, although i think there should be more server side options than yes and no. there should maybe be a 'full' setting (warmup lap and yellow flags), 'warmup lap' (just the warmup lap), 'yellow flag' setting where the pace car comes out under certain incidents, and also the 'off' setting. I think on a warmup lap you get auto spec'ed for overtaking the pace car, and a drive through for overtaking under yellows.

surely not too hard to develop an on and off setting as a start due to the way the AI behaves now.
I don't think the implementation of something like that would be as easy as you guys might think. Something will have to watch that nobody is overtaking during warm-up lap for example. That seems very tough to implement.

But I agree it would be a nice feature in LFS.
#19 - Gunn
Quote from Hoppers :I don't think the implementation of something like that would be as easy as you guys might think. Something will have to watch that nobody is overtaking during warm-up lap for example. That seems very tough to implement.

But I agree it would be a nice feature in LFS.

Overtake and get a drive through or 10 sec stop/go penalty. Sounds simple to me.
So Gunn?
Try to do it?
#21 - Gunn
Quote from Gunn :Overtake and get a drive through or 10 sec stop/go penalty. Sounds simple to me.

That's a little too harsh. Giving the driver who overtook 20 seconds to get back into place would be much better. Also, you could advance your position if the driver thats supposed to be in front of you drives too slowly long enough, or drives into the pits or off the track.
Quote from Gunn :Try to do what?

Make the pace car...
It will be so fun
(and more real race)
LFS!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from aroX123 :Make the pace car...
It will me so fun
(and more real race)
LFS!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Yea Gunn, c'mon, make one, i want one in red!!
Quote from Boris Lozac :i want one in red!!

No, we can choose and use our skins
Edit: maybe it's to hard work?

Pace lap
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG