The online racing simulator
A little guide: BL1/FBM
(18 posts, started )
#1 - J@tko
Seeing as quite a few people (mainly demoers!) are complaining about the FBM, I thought I'd put together a little guide to help you around the new config - I'm no expert, but hopefully this will help you. If you have any suggestions for improvements, just say!
I've attached my own setup, which is the basis for this guide.(I got it from a guy called Dave - and I used it for quali before changing it to a raceable condition - It'll do 5-8 laps on R1 tyres) I use a keyboard, and can do 1.16s easily, 1.15s at a push and a high 1.14 if I really go for it (and don't spin!) If you have a wheel, I think it would be capable of a 1.13 easily.

The tyres don't really need warming up that much, they'll be at operating temp after a couple of laps.

The Guide
Sector 1
You should just shift up into 5th gear on the S/F line, and unless there's a tailwind, just stuff the rev limiter and stick in 5th until you brake for T1, as it's uphill and you won't gain any extra speed by shifting into 6th. Slam on the anchors at the start of the blue kerb on the left hand side. The car will wobble a little, especially to the right. For the line into the corner, I tend to aim for the apex in a straight line. It's probably better if you stay to the left, and turn in onto the apex. Get the power on as early as you dare - there isn't too much oversteer on the exit - and then go into the chicane. Take as much of the first kerb as you dare, usually I just go for the centre of it. Let off the throttle slightly (later, you will find that you can go flat out through here, but not to start with!) as you turn into the left hander, then correct the oversteer and floor it. I usually take a massive amount out of the kerb on the right hand side, as it doesn't really damage your suspension much.
S1 times:
25 secs is quick
24 secs is v. quick
23 is uber-fast!

Sector 2
Floor it all the way down the straight (touch the apex of the kink, then go over to the left hand side), and again, brake at the kerb on the left. I can almost never get this corner perfect. One way of doing it is to throw your car into the apex a bit early, so the tyres have a change to grip, but this is a bit risky. I prefer to brake, let off the brakes then turn in fairly late, and take a bit of kerb. The setup of the car is so that you can fairly easily floor it as soon as you have hit the apex. Let the car drift out wide over the rumble strip onto the run off area. Go back onto the track and stay left and brake early for the next chicane. Turn in and clip the kerb. You can let it run out quite far and then floor it into the next corner - take loads of kerb and some grass too. You might get a little oversteer, but it's easy to correct.
S2 times:
55 secs: quick
54 secs: very quick
53 secs: uber-fast!

Sector 3
This, I think is the easiest sector. Brake quite late for the next corner, throw it in and clip the kerb. As soon as you have, floor the throttle and don't be afraid to use all the run off area. The final corner at Blackwood is actually the fastest in the FBM. You can take it surprisingly quickly as the downforce gives you extra grip. Floor it before the corner and use all the track on the right. Let off the throttle for a split second and throw the car into the corner – don’t be afraid to use both the inside kerb and all of the outside kerb (and a bit more). If you have a wheel, and warm tyres, then you might be able to take it flat out.
S3 times:
1.15: quick
1.14: very quick
1.13/: uber-fast!
Attached files
FBM_Daves - BL1Q.set - 132 B - 1461 views
#2 - bbman
[OT]
Welcome to the light side, the S2... May the Power be with you!
[/OT]

On the backstraight, you usually go left -> right (at the kink) -> left to minize the distance you have to go... Also, you take a bit of inside kerb in the turn afterwards, to help you turning the car (at least I do that)...
#3 - J@tko
Quote from bbman :[OT]
Welcome to the light side, the S2... May the Power be with you!
[/OT]

Thanks!

Quote from bbman :On the backstraight, you usually go left -> right (at the kink) -> left to minize the distance you have to go... Also, you take a bit of inside kerb in the turn afterwards, to help you turning the car (at least I do that)...

Edited that bit - I forgot about the kink!
I think your times are a bit wrong.

I can do low 54's and mid 1:14's and I'm certainly not "uber-fast".
#5 - J@tko
Quote from zeugnimod :I think your times are a bit wrong.

I can do low 54's and mid 1:14's and I'm certainly not "uber-fast".

The times were designed with me in mind - and I'm slow..... not sure why I did that!

I'll edit them for near WR pace!
That's better IMO.
Thanks! I just did a 1:17:5x with this set after 3 mins (previously, I got stable 1:19). Gives me hope that I can get into the low 16s - high 15s (gamepad, no wheel ) Good advice on the braking points as well -- I was playing too safe before.
#8 - J@tko
Quote from Ahriman4891 :Thanks! I just did a 1:17:5x with this set after 3 mins (previously, I got stable 1:19). Gives me hope that I can get into the low 16s - high 15s (gamepad, no wheel )

No probs. I really like the setup, cos its quite loose w/out being uncontrollable ---> keyboard user!
Quote from LFSn00b :Grats on S2

This improved my time a bit, thanks for the guide

No problem - thanks for the welcome!
#9 - vurun
any tips please? didn't want to create new topic for this
this time was made after 10 days of playing (or so), and i'm solidly stuck at ~14.20
i see two big problems here
1) exiting T1
2) working through the turn after long straight (precise braking from 215-216 kmh to make proper trajectory) and two last turns in S2
S3 seems to be not that crappy, so leave it for now))
Attached files
vurun_BL1_FBM_11393.spr - 39.7 KB - 372 views
Well, first of all I want to say that don't be overexcited with the S3 because you lose about half a second+ there, mostly cause of the following reason. You should work on your pedal job. You apply brake way too slow after you released throttle, and touch is too smoothly. Try braking hard at the last possible moment, as it is a hotlap. Give all out. When releasing throttle immediately step on the brakes. That would alone get you half a second for sure. But nice bump anyway.
and what about other sectors?
What I said applies to every of the sectors. You lose a lot of time because of your pedal work.
Quote from vurun :any tips please?

The best tip is to watch the replays. WRs, replays with good time and driving style that suits yours. Watch others racing lines, braking points, analyze your replays and so on.

Quote from vurun :
i see two big problems here

Your major problems are: missing alot of corners and slow speed during cornering. In T1 you didnt even hit the apex, in T3 you hit an apex too late (and started turning too late too). T4, T6 was too slow.
(Btw, it is good that you are using kerbs to enter the corners wide as possible)

Quote from vurun :
1) exiting T1

T1 exiting is all about practice i think. Main thing in T1 is to have a good exit speed which is acomplished by good cornering speed and pressing throttle as early as possible. Applying full throttle around after you hit the apex is correct exiting . The problem is that the track there is tilted alittle bit which leads to oversteering when applying full throttle. So you need to compensate this oversteer, well, basically, by slightly releasing steering wheel, but the only way to understand how to drive thru this corner is practice.
Btw, your T1 entry is not very good too, which is also the reason for your bad T1 exit. You're starting to turn little bit too late and i think you're turning your steering wheel too softly (too smoothly). Try turning it faster (but not too sharp) and slightly greater angle.
Overall, your S1 time is pretty good i think.

Quote from vurun :
2) working through the turn after long straight (precise braking from 215-216 kmh to make proper trajectory) and two last turns in S2

Well, T3 on the replay was awfull. You missed the turn, you dropped the speed too much and in the end you've moved off from the trajectory.
T4,T5 was fine except the entry speed - could be higher i think. But, well, this turn gives me alot of troubles too.

Quote from vurun :
S3 seems to be not that crappy, so leave it for now))

Well, technically... yes, but comparing to WR the time in S3 is not as good as with previous sectors ~-0.4 diff in S1 and ~0.6 diff in S2 - you are losing ~0.8 in S3 (while driving clean, contrary to S2). You need to: 1)brake harder before T6 (actually, in THIS replay this is the only corner where you're braking really wrong, i couldnt say that your braking in other corners are perfect, but it is definitely not the reason of mediocre times) ; 2) turn steering wheel "sharper" (faster and greater angle); 3) increase speed during cornering. And you can also drive faster thru T7 (last corner), but this will come with practice.

And also i wouldnt stick with the "brake as late as possible" advice (at least until you will be comparable to WR). It is very easy to miss the turn or the apex when braking this way and this wont really give any significant benefits (actually, alot of people i know significantly improved their results after they stopped trying to brake as late as possible). 1.13.8 means you still have errors in your racing line and cornering.
alexanderlfs, thanks a LOT!) now that's some info to think of.
the reason why am I asking advice here is that I've only been driving for about 3 weeks, so sometimes spr's do not give me answers.
in the meantime I think I made some minor improvements but what's more important, it seems I understood T1, so it's a matter of practice now.
Attached files
vurun_BL1_FBM_11357.spr - 38.1 KB - 255 views
Quote from J@tko :Seeing as quite a few...

wow Thanks! That was very helpful, instantly i manged to cut 0.5 of a second and trust me with mouse and buttons half second on furst try is a lot.
Thanks again.
You make this sound so easy. I haven't played racing sims in years but I really want to get back into them, I'll give the FBM a shot.
my first 12.xx. -0.3 sec in 5 hours (2 evenings)
Attached files
vurun_BL1_FBM_11286.spr - 37.1 KB - 349 views

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG