The online racing simulator
I have a question... [typing and driving]
How in the world do the folks who do the online racing manage to race and type messages to each other at the same time? I wrecked just glancing up at the map to see who was going to run me over.

Any idea how they do that, or does this fall under the "Black Magic" section?

Jim
Quote from Intelvet :How in the world do the folks who do the online racing manage to race and type messages to each other at the same time? I wrecked just glancing up at the map to see who was going to run me over.

Any idea how they do that, or does this fall under the "Black Magic" section?

Jim

Type on straightaways
Well if their keyboard is in a good position and they use a wheel it should be quite easy. Especially if they can type fast. I myself can't really let go of the steering on my gamepad, because it is so sensative that the car will just swerve off the road. But I can type now and again if I do it quickly.
I actually drive with my chin when I type
Quote from lizardfolk :I actually drive with my chin when I type

Oh yea, I remember now, you're the guy behind me who was blocking everyone from passing! Thanks!
#6 - aoun
When i was a mouse/kb user, i could literally let go of everything and hit T and type, but it would be like , lol, haha, gl, , sorry.. Etc.

Now with the wheel, i have a sort of V shaped desk and the wheel goes in the middle, and i have space to type with the keyboard right on the side of me, and i can type whenever i want.
You actually turn away from the game to type? I can't do that, I always lose control...my keyboard is actually somehow below my wheel, and halfway underneath it, so it's a really awkward position for typing.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Oh yea, I remember now, you're the guy behind me who was blocking everyone from passing! Thanks!

Sorry NASCAR habit

Besides, I didn't ram anyone off. If a person has a great run on me I'll let him by (not without a scratch but I'll let him by )

Anyway, is it really that bad to block?
So, the short version is that it's essentially Black Magic then

Gads...I'll never be able to communicate with anyone while I'm driving then...oh well...my father used to tell me that even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut...somewhat prophetic..

Thanks for the input!

Jim
Nah, quite easy: just bind your f-keys witht he most usefull lines for quick access, and keep the real chatting to either long straights, or better occasions where you are stopped.
I drive with my chest/triceps/armpits to type while driving.
Easy if you are using paddle shifters and know the keyboard well enough not having to look what to press. You can upshift on your right hand down the straight and just type with your left.

But recently I've found out that when using H-gate it is almost impossible to type anything because you need your right arm to shift gears and left to keep the car on the road. Of course, you can type between the shifts but I just can't do that very well, and it might take a few laps to make a sentence.

Slower cars might help though. Or oval.
I use the H-gate with my G25.

Finally, im not alone!

lol

Hurts though when the FFB is up high on the G25
Everytime I tried, I crashed... So I refuse to do it anymore...
i chin drive and or sick my arm up throught the top of my wheel and if its a chatty race or a muckabout i just throw on automatic because its pointless if ur chatting trying to drive thats what teamspeak is for
Quote from Blackout :But recently I've found out that when using H-gate it is almost impossible to type anything because you need your right arm to shift gears and left to keep the car on the road.

Someone got themselves a new G25 ? You like it ?

Got to say i've never fully understood how these guys can drive so fast and type at the same time. I need both hands on the wheel at all times so I can't drive and type at all. All you'll get from me during races is the keys i've bound to the button wheels : the little smillie face/'sorry'/'no problem' and 'hi', but seeing as i can never remember which is which i very rarely make any sense (no change there then). Just the other night i was in a really close fun battle with someone and i kept on saying 'hi' 'sorry' and 'no problem' in no particular order even though we didn't clash once.

Other than that, if someone asks me a long question, i'll either stop and reach for the keyboard or ignore them (depends who it is )
Quote from Intelvet :How in the world do the folks who do the online racing manage to race and type messages to each other at the same time?

Secretary.
#20 - Iron
What about chatting (VoIP or IRL) and driving? I can't do that either. I'm so much concentrating on driving, that I simply can't chat nor listen. If I do, I crash.
Another chin driver here
I push my keyboard further back on the desk to make some room for steering wheel, so it's quite hard to reach in middle of a race and I usually just stay quiet unless there's something I really need to say. This ofcourse upsets those who expect you to instantly apologise for every single bodycontact, but I'd rather stay silent and avoid crashing than start typing in middle of a corner.

IRL I use my knees since I keep bashing them on the steering wheel anyways.
Quote from Crommi :Another chin driver here
I push my keyboard further back on the desk to make some room for steering wheel, so it's quite hard to reach in middle of a race and I usually just stay quiet unless there's something I really need to say. This ofcourse upsets those who expect you to instantly apologise for every single bodycontact, but I'd rather stay silent and avoid crashing than start typing in middle of a corner.

IRL I use my knees since I keep bashing them on the steering wheel anyways.

+1

same, it hurts tho when you try to turn with ffb
I put my keyboard on my left as you can type and drive with the wheel, Only problem is that when you bring up the chat box you lose force feedback until you have finished so the steering is more sensitive.
I usually crash trying to chat. I quite often crash reading chat, infact when I played MCO we sometimes sent messages to eachother like "this will make you crash".

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG