The online racing simulator
realistic improvements
(45 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :It's strong enough already. Drive on the grass at speed, and feel it instantly. The only trouble is the grass isn't 'rough' enough.

i ment like if you get back on the track you will have trouble with handling
Quote from faasan :i ment like if you get back on the track you will have trouble with handling

You do. The dirt stays on the tyres for 2 or 3 corners. It's the brown coloured field at the bottom of each tyre when you press F9.
Quote from faasan :if that is real so then next should be 1)if some of the racers goes on grass and back to the track then trac should be dirty and thet dirt will stick to other racers wheels and other racer's tyres will be slippy 2) if driver crashes to other driver and there could be oil leak wich will make other's tyres very very slippy and they'll crash one way another 3) thirdly the most biggest minus DAMAGE -- one cool thing would be if you crash and your tyre will fly away from your car-- one more cool damage would be if spoilers,bumpers etc would come off the car (like in Colin McRae rally) thats all from ME

pls say what you think about that
Quote from faasan :i ment like if you get back on the track you will have trouble with handling

Maybe you don't notice because you don't race 'hard' and fast enough to notice.

For example a really consistent racer who has perfect lines through every corner and every lap will notice it much moe.
Quote from faasan :if that is real so then next should be 1)if some of the racers goes on grass and back to the track then trac should be dirty and thet dirt will stick to other racers wheels and other racer's tyres will be slippy 2) if driver crashes to other driver and there could be oil leak wich will make other's tyres very very slippy and they'll crash one way another 3) thirdly the most biggest minus DAMAGE -- one cool thing would be if you crash and your tyre will fly away from your car-- one more cool damage would be if spoilers,bumpers etc would come off the car (like in Colin McRae rally) thats all from ME

they will come later. LFS is a WIP, and as such will get better, with more features, over time. Everything you've said has already been suggested. More than once.
Quote from JO53PHS :Maybe you don't notice because you don't race 'hard' and fast enough to notice.

For example a really consistent racer who has perfect lines through every corner and every lap will notice it much moe.

welll umm... that cant be trouble cuz my old classmate is european champion in kart and he says im drivig like F***IN lunatic (its damn too fast)
Quote from faasan :welll umm... that cant be trouble cuz my old classmate is european champion in kart and he says im drivig like F***IN lunatic (its damn too fast)

Looking at your stats on LFSWorld, you are far from driving "damn too fast". Driving "like a F***IN lunatic" doesn't mean driving consistant and fast. It could mean that you are driving all over the place with absolutely no consistancy at all, which could be why your times are mostly 20-30 seconds slower than the WR.

Drive consistantly with attempting at driving the proper lines, braking and accelerating properly and I'm positive you will notice your tires are dirty after running off the track.
i really want now on the cars some job with the windsheild,coz its feels like there is nothing,i mean if u drive a covertable you look out to 1 side than you look thru the windshield and its the same...
Woo, it's time to rip an entire thread to pieces! Let's work backwards.

The windscreen can't go in (IMO) until we have actual visually breaking parts. Otherwise after a crash the screen would be folded so badly, like the bodywork, that it would be nearly impossible to see through it.

Weather and environment effects have been talked to death. They'll come in time. But odds are it'll need to be after (or with) the Dx9 upgrade for dynamic lights and pixel shading. That's an engine rewrite and not a small job.
And of course with that upgrade comes people complaining that their 20 year-old computer can't run it. No idea why the world doesn't see that much complaining when new games come out, but obviously some people can't/won't upgrade and they'll whinge.

Crowds and other stuff. Yes, 2D sprites are very 1992, but again look at the people complaining about performance hits with the slight modifications to Blackwood and South City. Add a couple of dozen polys and suddenly you have people complaining. Imagine adding 50-person crowds with a couple of hundred polys each. They'd never shut up.

I'd like to see more trackside stuff, but it's not exactly a high priority compared to the rest of the racing features.
I would have nigth races
isn't it easy to make?
for the pro's?
Quote from mrodgers :Looking at your stats on LFSWorld, you are far from driving "damn too fast". Driving "like a F***IN lunatic" doesn't mean driving consistant and fast. It could mean that you are driving all over the place with absolutely no consistancy at all, which could be why your times are mostly 20-30 seconds slower than the WR.

Drive consistantly with attempting at driving the proper lines, braking and accelerating properly and I'm positive you will notice your tires are dirty after running off the track.

OMG-- im driving with kb, when i had wheel i had times 1-3 sec past wr before PB resets
Quote from aroX123 :I would have nigth races
isn't it easy to make?
for the pro's?

I'm not a programmer but I understand the basics.

Right now all of the shadows are create at static fixed points. That's why the track reloads when you choose a different time of day.
To enable night-time, you'd need to change it so that all of the shadows and the position of the main light source (the sun) moved all the time. That way the sun would move across the sky and the shadows would be generated dynamically from every single object on the track.

Also, for night driving you'd need headlights, which would be even more light sources on every car on the track, generating smaller shadows which would need to be programmed to overlap the environment ones without looking like a polygonal mess. Also, the reflections on the car bodies would need to be changed. While that's not a massive change it's still a big job.

Now DirectX9 can do this automatically (Dx8 will do lighting, but it's not as good), but as far as I understand LFS is using mainly Dx7 (and maybe the odd Dx8) features so the current engine can't do it.

But while all of the dynamic lighting looks fantastic, it will kill off everyone who has a graphics card that's more than a year or two old. Right now LFS is very PC-friendly and will run on a fairly low-spec machine (compared to things like GTL and GTR and even rF in Dx9 mode). So everyone who has a crap PC will suddenly not be able to play the game.

So it would be a massive rewrite for Scawen and the end result would be LESS people playing. You can probably understand why it's not happened already
#38 - Jakg
Quote from faasan :OMG-- im driving with kb, when i had wheel i had times 1-3 sec past wr before PB resets

1-3 secs of a WR isn't crazy fast

ATM the ONLY dirt-tire issue is that when you get dirt on your tyres in LFS the ENTIRE tyre it covered the second 1 mm of tyre hits dirt. This makes it waaaaay to easy to loose the car as you tap dirt.

And from my (very) limited experience LFS is "about right" on dirt affects on slick tyres
Is that true - I tested, with Kirves, running over small patches of dirt and my dirt covering was NOT uniform over the circumference of the tyre (but it was over the width).
Quote from faasan :well i havend fell it before if it realy is like that it should be stronger

Quote from Jakg :And from my (very) limited experience LFS is "about right" on dirt affects on slick tyres

It's too strong as it is. In real life getting your tires dirty doesn't have as much of an effect as it does in LFS.
Quote from nikimere :It's too strong as it is. In real life getting your tires dirty doesn't have as much of an effect as it does in LFS.

Remember how it was at first? And the reaction we got for criticising it?
Compared with that it's near-perfect.

I think there's often a danger with new small features that they fear their work will go unnoticed. So they make sure the effect is obvious and occasionally (dirt, slipstream, dirty air, others) they go way over the top and realism gets pushed down a peg until the corrective patch.
Quote from sinbad :Remember how it was at first? And the reaction we got for criticising it?
Compared with that it's near-perfect.

I agree it is a lot better. However there should be really no noticeable effect on the saloon/touring cars, we should only (slightly) feel it in the single-seaters and GT cars.
Quote from nikimere :I agree it is a lot better. However there should be really no noticeable effect on the saloon/touring cars, we should only (slightly) feel it in the single-seaters and GT cars.

I absotively agree.
Is LFS based on soft body physics like a Rigs Of Rods, but just in better accomplishment?

Sometime feels like.
#45 - Be2K
I would have Night Races, realastic Weather (rain, maybe sonw) and i want Visitors !
The tracks look very empty without Visitors the Kyoto is the best exampel the Oval Start/finish looks very empty
Some more bitmap people would give the track a better designe.

realistic improvements
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG