The online racing simulator
My G25 is oxidating! o_O
(25 posts, started )
My G25 is oxidating! o_O
Hello, one of the great points in my mind about buying the G25 was it's durability (I had a MOMO before) so, if you will, picture my amazement when I was storing it yesterday (I store it on a closet as soon as I stop using it, the shifter and the wheel, the pedals stay under the desk over a piece of wood and covered in plastic - I'm a careful guy) and pulled that little bit of "leather" over the shifter shaft and then saw...

Rust over the steel.

Man...
Isn't it supposed to be stainless steel all over the product?

Anyway, I've had my G25 for just a short time, less than 2 months, and used it sparingly.
The storage closet and the enviroment on which it's used are not (even though I'm from Brazil) high humidity ones.
But the shaft is rusting all the same and now I would like to have some suggestions as to what I can do about it?

It doesn't bother me at all on the cosmetic aspect, you can't even see it if you don't pull back the leather on the shifter shaft.
But I'm worried that all this rust will continue to "go down" and jinx all the workings on the shifter unite.

So, I've got a shifter shaft which looks like to be rapidly rusting (there's a "ring" on top of the leather part that covers the shaft which seems to be made of metal and is rusted/rusting too) and I don't know what to do. Because I don't know what to use on the rust from fear of what the product might do to the rest of the shifter unit.

Help.

PS: To all G25 owners, it would be wise if you took notice of your shaft (gear shaft, damn) from time to time, I hope not but maybe it's rusting out too.
#2 - mcman
Quote from Meanie :Hello, one of the great points in my mind about buying the G25 was it's durability (I had a MOMO before) so, if you will, picture my amazement when I was storing it yesterday (I store it on a closet as soon as I stop using it, the shifter and the wheel, the pedals stay under the desk over a piece of wood and covered in plastic - I'm a careful guy) and pulled that little bit of "leather" over the shifter shaft and then saw...

Rust over the steel.

Man...

Anyway, I've had my G25 for just a short time, less than 2 months, and used it sparingly.
The storage closet and the enviroment on which it's used are not (even though I'm from Brazil) high humidity ones.
But the shaft is rusting all the same and now I would like to have some suggestions as to what I can do about it?

It doesn't bother me at all on the cosmetic aspect, you can't even see it if you don't pull back the leather on the shifter shaft.
But I'm worried that all this rust will continue to "go down" and jinx all the workings on the shifter unite.

So, I've got a shifter shaft which looks like to be rapidly rusting (there's a "ring" on top of the leather part that covers the shaft which seems to be made of metal and is rusted/rusting too) and I don't know what to do. Because I don't know what to use on the rust from fear of what the product might do to the rest of the shifter unit.

Help.

PS: To all G25 owners, it would be wise if you took notice of your shaft (gear shaft, damn) from time to time, I hope not but maybe it's rusting out too.

The Shifter Shaft is made from cold rolled carbon steel, and plated to prevent rusting (The Wheel frame, Pedal Caps are Stainless). The only "ring" on the shaft is made from plastic and allows the boot to slide up and down the shaft and since you noted that it is rusting also I am confused as to just what is going on. It should not be rusting. Could you please post some pictures? Thanks!

Note: if the plating wears down, the copper base plate shows through (kinda brown looking) and this might be what you are seeing. You might rub your finger on it to see if it comes off or stays put.
Perhaps it is just some sticky old Coke from when you opened the can too fast? :munching_

But yeh, lets see some pics.
Quote from Meanie :Hello, one of the great points in my mind about buying the G25 was it's durability (I had a MOMO before) so, if you will, picture my amazement when I was storing it yesterday (I store it on a closet as soon as I stop using it, the shifter and the wheel, the pedals stay under the desk over a piece of wood and covered in plastic - I'm a careful guy) and pulled that little bit of "leather" over the shifter shaft and then saw...

Rust over the steel.

Man...

Help.

I have the same problem here :/

http://users.telenet.be/Dillyracer/PC190031.JPG
I don't why, it's not like I spilled some cola over it or something :/
Greese

put some vasaline on it tht stop the rust or paint it hammirite

but u need to get rid of the rust use some wet & Dry paper and sand it off Fine Stuff Try not to dammage it lol

i dont own 1 but im guessing its a solid bit of iron bar with a thread its not gonna rust though but might cause probs if you wanna change the knob or service the parts

got warrenty law is 1 year manufactures, send it back get a new 1

Just to add i c you live in a hot climate the rust is proberbly comming from you (your Sweet, Palms/wrists) get a fan close to you while you play or clean the equipment after use sounds a bit drab but they are £200 so id wanna lookafter it
WOW that looks ugly!
Mine is fine. Had it since March 2007.
Attached images
Wheel.jpg
Shifter.jpg
Quote from The General Lee :Mine is fine. Had it since March 2007.

Hey is your keyboard is a G15 ? I was wondering if the little hud could be used in LFS ??
Sorry for OFF TOPICKING. btw, rust make the g25 looking more reallistic isn't it ?
Yes mate, it is a G15 keyboard.

There is an LFS app available for the LCD screen

You can also make your own
U did that with sandpaper? Your gonna get more rust now.
Put some vaseline all over the shaft.
get rid of the oxygen (use greese or vasline or spray silicone lube) or get rid of the moisture (silica gel)
I'd bet it's coming from human fluids at 3:00 am
Aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhhtttttt!!!!!!!!
Quote from ElvisArg :U did that with sandpaper? Your gonna get more rust now.
Put some vaseline all over the shaft.

I did it with sandpaper yeah, and I put some vaseline over it, like mentioned.
Id scrape it a little and see what happends then sandpaper it like they said above ^^.
good job m8ee id of used a less corce paper but all good keep the grese on it or hammirite

ps threse a thread in the controlers forurm on how to mod the pedals to get a better heel toe action goin
you can really ingore that. put some grease on there if you are worried about it... how the hell does that happen anyway? That one guys G25 is just fine. Prolly used a shitty batch of metal for that one, that happens in mass-produced shit sometimes.
Quote from Dillyracer :Okay, I did some work on it today. It looks a little bit bronzish ( does that word even exist ). I'll get some pics up soon.

http://users.telenet.be/Dillyracer/PC210033.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/Dillyracer/PC210032.JPG

What you are seeing is the base (copper alloy) plate used before the nickel plate is applied. Although looking at the boot area it does look like rust. How long have you had/used your G25/Shifter for? Also, before you sanded it did any other abrasive material get on the shifter? Just really curious, thanks!
Sand it, paint it(get paint with primer, like car touch up). You could rub vaseline on it, but that seems worse to me than rust.
wd40 If that is available in Brazil.

My G25 is oxidating! o_O
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG