The online racing simulator
#1 - JTbo
Finnish sim racecers, where you get hardware? (shifters etc)
So, where to get clutch pedal and shifter if we exclude G25?

Our laws are stupid, ordering outside EU is financial suicide, act-labs shifter is going to cost far more than bloody G25, so where to look?

Also what other manufacturers there are than Frex(for millionaires) and Act-Labs ?
What do you mean outside EU is financial suicide? Weak dollar should more than compensate the tax you might have to pay, if they don't post is as a gift or something. Of course, the stuff is always expensive as hell, so it will hurt your wallet anyway.
#3 - JTbo
Quote from Blackout :What do you mean outside EU is financial suicide? Weak dollar should more than compensate the tax you might have to pay, if they don't post is as a gift or something. Of course, the stuff is always expensive as hell, so it will hurt your wallet anyway.

ALV + Tulli that comes to pay pratically from any sim pedals / shifter and that is a LOT.

200€ toys are near 1000€ because of those
I bought my Act Labs shifter from the US in last years spring. The taxes and shipping was quite a lot. If my memory serves me right it was around 140€ in total (incl. shipping and taxes).
I got my Act Labs pedals a bit cheaper from this called shop UKFormula in the UK few months ago. The total was only around 130€. There was only about 10€ worth of shipping in there. They have gone out of business now though.

The current situation seems quite bad now, since Act Labs is by far the cheapest alternative to the G25, but there is no European reseller, so the costs from ordering the US will raise the price quite a lot.
#5 - JTbo
$129.99 for good shifter bundle
$80 for shipping
Toll is then maybe somewhere around $210
Then tax (ALV) around 77$

Total sum is somewhere around $497

That is if toll taxes are still around same that they used to few years ago.

Well, math is not my best part, so there might be giant errors, but general thumb of rule is to multiply price in US/Canada by 3 + add postage.

I would say I can get something manufactured for that price in here, not that I would manufacture anything
Quote :The total was only around 130€. There was only about 10€ worth of shipping in there.

If shipping from the UK is that cheap you wanna have a word with Jakg. He's got a pedal set for sale http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=34874 (might have to scroll down)

And it's not too hard to make a shifter, any old joystick will do.
Quote from Mazz4200 :If shipping from the UK is that cheap you wanna have a word with Jakg. He's got a pedal set for sale http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=34874

I don't think that the shipping is that cheap really. The overall feeling I got from UKFormula was, that they really didn't know what they were doing so I am guessing they only charged for shipping inside the UK. But they didn't say anything about that, so I didn't complain.

PS. Jakg has the older Act Labs pedals, which are made from plastic which aren't really that good. I have the newer ones (Advantage1 design, made entirely from metal) which are much better.
#8 - JTbo
But even shipping from uk would be 50 (what it is not) it would be cheaper to buy shifters etc from there, but don't know who sells now there? Same goes to germany too and pretty much any EU country.
@ Geeman Lol, yeah, i've just had a quick look at the Royal Mail website, the cheapest they do it is about £50/ 60-70 Euros ? sounds like you got a bargain.

If Jak's pedals are so crap i guess that explains why they're so cheap. I had thought he was just full of the Christmas Spirit and wanted to do someone a favour, guess not

I also gotta say i think it's a great testament to the influence of LFS. I've never known of such a game let alone a patch that has so many people clamouring to add an extra pedal and proper shifter to their existing controls, It's all good stuff.
#10 - JTbo
Royal mail is ripoff, there are better alternatives
Quote from JTbo :Royal mail is ripoff, there are better alternatives

They're also exceptionally slow and have a habit of loosing things, that's when they're not on strike
Quote from JTbo :$129.99 for good shifter bundle
$80 for shipping
Toll is then maybe somewhere around $210
Then tax (ALV) around 77$

Total sum is somewhere around $497

That is if toll taxes are still around same that they used to few years ago.

Well, math is not my best part, so there might be giant errors, but general thumb of rule is to multiply price in US/Canada by 3 + add postage.

I would say I can get something manufactured for that price in here, not that I would manufacture anything

Hmm, 100% tax?

A calculation

Base product: 130 millions
Shipping : 80 millions
----
= 210 millions

Add toll, 15% to be on the safe side (multiply by 1.15):
= 230 millions
----
Add tax (VAT) 22% (multiply by 1.22):
Total = 280 millions

However it is not 100% guaranteed that the parcel gets stuck in customs but you should always prepare for it. And avoiding the taxes is against the law so choose wisely.

We are not importing cars so the 100% tax is not applicable here
#13 - JTbo
How sure you are that it is not treated as a car, after all driving and cars are very very bad thing in this country

2003 it was put in class of luxury products and those had insane tax, imo.

If your calculation is indeed correct, then it is not that bad only bit over 2x of price at US

Of course one could fly to there, that is 950€ and bring few shifter back to cover expenses, free trip to foreign country that way
Quote from JTbo :2003 it was put in class of luxury products and those had insane tax, imo.

I've never heard of that luxury tax...? What is it?

Here's one link: http://www.e-ville.fi/OstaisinkoUlkomailta.pdf

The original file is unavailable at tulli's site but that is the same file that was there before.

EDIT: if you are able to convice the customs officers that the parts are for your car the VAT will drop. Just tell the seller to put Volvo stickers on the shifter and all is fine. You will do it anyways

Finnish sim racecers, where you get hardware? (shifters etc)
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG