The online racing simulator
#1 - FL!P
Improved look left/right for Y
The only thing I don't like much in the new patch is the new 45° side look and the need to press two buttons to get 90°.

I liked Becky Rose's suggestion in this thread but it doesn't look like we're going to get that in Y.

So how about having both 45° and 90° on the same button, with a user option to define the delay after which LFS goes from 45° to 90°? So if you press the button and release it quickly, you get the 45° view only, and if you press it a bit longer, it switches from 45° to 90.

Also, that way, if you don't like the 90° view you could set the delay to 3 seconds, or something, and if you don't like the 45° view, you'd set it to 0.

How does that sound?
Erm didn't you make a mod similar to this a while back ?

Perhaps the answer is an option in the menu so you can choose either 45 or 90 degrees for each button and perhaps map 4 view buttons to your wheel. And i'm not sure the delay thing would work, i can see that getting a tad awkward not to mention frustrating

Not sure the following the nearest car thing is such a good idea. There's a similar thing in FS2004 (and FSX i think ?) albeit the view follows the nearest runway. But it doesn't really work, with the lack of peripheral vision you really loose sense of where you are and what your doing, it's really easy to veer off.

Maybe just a link to Freetrack v2.1 and the address of your nearest electrical component shop is enough ?
#3 - FL!P
Quote from Mazz4200 :Erm didn't you make a mod similar to this a while back ?

Nope, FlipCams doesn't affect the side look, it just allows to have more than one custom view per car.

Good points, though.
I wonder if a double-tap on the look button would be feasible?

There's a mod for GPL (GPLShift) which allows a double or triple click option for looking left/right. One click on your look button = 45 degrees, double click = 90, triple = 135 (over your shoulder at the rear wheel). You can also set custom angles. Damn useful :up:
It took a while but i've just found it. Flip Cam is a great little prog, but it was AndroidXP's "Mouse Look" that i was thinking off (thought it was your mod, sorry about the confusion) http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13555

It's actually from last year, so i'm guessing it won't be compatible, but it's a neat little mod. Essentially you can map a single button to almost any 2 different angles. So you could have 45 degrees with single button press and 90 degrees with a double press of the same button.

edit, and Hankster posted while i was writing this. So the answers yes, it is possible, or was possible ? (last update Aug this year)
Bam. There ya go
Lol and he posted that when i was editing my last post......sheesh, i really need to type quicker.
Yes, you do
#9 - Ian.H
Quote from Hankstar :I wonder if a double-tap on the look button would be feasible?

There's a mod for GPL (GPLShift) which allows a double or triple click option for looking left/right. One click on your look button = 45 degrees, double click = 90, triple = 135 (over your shoulder at the rear wheel). You can also set custom angles. Damn useful :up:

Eek! That would be a real nightmare. Sometimes I check left / right various times quite quickly, depending on the situation.. I'd be pretty miffed to hit the button a couple of times only to find it within the incremental threshold and end up snapping my neck from looking too far round.

I don't see any problems with the current system. Maybe I got used to the 45 degrees (which I _far_ prefer) with ISI games.. it's actually something I've wanted added to LFS since before S2 was released.. 90 degrees meant that your door mirrors were just there for show as you couldn't see diddly squat in them as your virtual head turned too far.

Regards,

Ian
If 90° look had never existed we'd all be fine with 45°.
But because 90° we're all used to having an unreasonable (but not impossible, it's just the no one ever turns their head that far whilst driving, let along racing, in my experience and opinion) level of 'spin'. So if/when it gets taken away from us, some moan. But they'll get used to it. Give it a month or two.
Quote from Ian.H :Eek! That would be a real nightmare. Sometimes I check left / right various times quite quickly, depending on the situation.. I'd be pretty miffed to hit the button a couple of times only to find it within the incremental threshold and end up snapping my neck from looking too far round.

I don't see any problems with the current system. Maybe I got used to the 45 degrees (which I _far_ prefer) with ISI games.. it's actually something I've wanted added to LFS since before S2 was released.. 90 degrees meant that your door mirrors were just there for show as you couldn't see diddly squat in them as your virtual head turned too far.

Regards,

Ian

The double click thing in GPL really isn't as perilous as it sounds The threshold is quite "natural" (for want of a better word) and I've found that checking 90 or 135 by accident is very rare. Like pretty much all community GPL addons it's intuitive and quite well done. At the moment I haven't got GPLShift working so I'm stuck with the standard 45 glance anyway, which is fine. I have mirrors and stereo sound, after all. I doubt Jack Brabham was sitting up in the cockpit and craning his neck to look over his shoulder

GPL aside, I won't lose sleep over LFS' new look function. I'm fine with it. Hell, if I can't adapt my opposable thumbs to a mere computer game I'm not much of a bloody primate am I?
I don't mind the 45degree shift at all. It's a natural number to let you see the mirrors without making you dizzy or disoriented

Thing is, I can't turn my head 180degrees. And strapped into a 5-point harness would limit that even more*. I'd like to see the second move something around maybe 120degrees. At 120-140 you could see beside you as well as a realistic amount behind you too.

The open-wheelers might need a different number though, because obviously as well as being strapped in you also have G-forces pushing your head back*.

* This is purely speculation on my part, I've never been in a race car. Please slap me if I'm talking bollocks
Quote from tristancliffe :(but not impossible, it's just the no one ever turns their head that far whilst driving, let along racing, in my experience and opinion)

That is probably because you can turn your eyeballs and you have wider fov in real live, even with helmet on.

Imho, the way the 90 degree look was before Y was fine. As I see it, it wasn't really that the driver turned his head 90 degrees, it just showed what the driver would really see at his far left/right when he turns his head. That being said, the 45 degree view has its benefits, seeing the mirrors being the main thing. But the 45-degree view isn't any usable for its main use, to see if there is someone next to you.

In real life you "view" is never locked into one position; you turn your head into the corners and follow other racers around you. In LFS you can't do that and imho the 90 degree view was a good trade-off between realism and seeing what goes on around you.

But the direction is good, nevertheless
I frequently turn my head more than 90deg in my road car, but that's because the mirrors are terrible and I have atrocious blind spots (hey, sounds a bit like LFS!).

My ideal setup would be the racing cars as they are now (45-90 incremental) and the street cars the way they were in X10.
#15 - JTbo
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I frequently turn my head more than 90deg in my road car, but that's because the mirrors are terrible and I have atrocious blind spots (hey, sounds a bit like LFS!).

My ideal setup would be the racing cars as they are now (45-90 incremental) and the street cars the way they were in X10.

I would like to see video from you turning head more than 90 degrees left or right from center position without moving back/shoulders, that would look hilarious

Road cars are of course bit different, without racing harness we might be chance to move our body so that we can see further.

Also we can move eyes around and that helps a bit too, but with helmet they use in SS that would not be much of use.

Still don't have much of opinion other than 45 works quite well, I miss only little additional mirror that I have IRL car, that removes blind spots that I would have IRL car too.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG