The online racing simulator
Career mode
(36 posts, started )

Poll : Want career?

Closes
No!
Yeah!
Dont know...
Can we take away this guy's Improvement Suggestions thread-starting privileges soon?
+1

But for now ignoring it will work fine aswell
We already have it. Load LFS, click the Training button.
Et voila!
You start with one car, do some trials, race, advance to the next car, do some trials, race, advance to the next car...
sounds like Need for speed: Most wanted
To me, this is more a "game" feature than a sim feature, and as LFS is a sim my answer would have to be no i'm affraid!

An offline league against the AI's maybe but not a career.
Quote from joen :I didn't say that. I said that I think a career mode is a bad idea. Your logic escapes me, because I didn't say LFS should have an arcade mode only. I don't know where you got that idea.

LFS is an online racing simulator, not a real life simulator. Otherwise we could start simulating engine revision, cleaning the pitbox, arranging catering for the team, etc. Yes I am stretching.

Ok, point(s) conceded. I was mainly trying to be a little on the harsh side, and stretching to do it myself . Because I wanted to get try and get across that I thought you were perhaps being a little harsh on the OP by calling the idea silly. But it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

I will say that when it comes down to it I do like having the ability to choose/drive any car online. But I don't think an option for a Career Mode would be all that bad nor silly, really. Again, perhaps if the Single Player aspect of the game were ever to have more focus put on it it would be cool to have it in there. As far as online simming, is there a possibility that leagues could restrict you to lower class cars until you work your way up(for official league races)? I've only had the sim for a very short time but it looks as if servers can restrict what cars are available, so I think the possibility is there. Do I think it would be good to unequivocally impose such a restriction to all online players? No, not really. I just think a Career Mode would be a nice 'option', thats all. I did vote Yeah! and I still stand by my vote.

Cheers joen and all
#32 - col
Quote from Tweaker :
If you want to build a career, work with leagues... that is a REAL career.

I agree, however I think this is missing the real need that the OP is expressing...

I believe that what he really wants is a video game 'everyone can win' type of thing - folks have got used to games where if you put in enough hours, you will always 'win'... they want to be able to say "LFS? you still playing that?, I 'finished' it ages ago - was too easy for me".
The problem with real leagues with real opponents is that most players will never win - only the truly talented will actually win. That doesn't fit in with the modern console game ethos that is so prevalent these days.

LFS is not a console game where success is fed to you via a carefully tweaked learning curve designed so you'll be 'finished' just in time for the next release...
LFS is a virtual sport - you have to set yourself goals and get satisfaction from achieving them just like in real life!

Col
career mode ..
not sure about that, hope someone is actually reading all of these ideas,bought the game about 1month ago,and multiplayer is quite impressive,hard on a controller tho.., single player very poor

i woudnt completely write it off as a silly idea
could possibly make you a better driver b4 u choose to race m/player(training is in place anyway) (allready said i know)

lots of negative feedback on this forum i love it

should b picking the best bits out of all race sims not critisizing
reminds me of sega v nintendo v amiga v pc,some of the the die hard lot arnt exactly open to suggstion

dont forget lfs is reasonably new(s2) ,and reasonably cheap too..

keep the ideas coming in anyway dont worry about people saying its silly or not
anyone else have time to read all post sticky etc,i have a autistic child and find it difficult 2 get near pc,time is of a premuim and i dont allways read everything myself...,but hey thats life.,keep up the good work all involved,
LFS can already do this -- in a way. You just need to program your own InSim add-on. Look at how the CTRA servers work, then write something similar, only for offline usage.

Quote from woodymcruk :bought the game about 1month ago,and multiplayer is quite impressive,hard on a controller tho.., single player very poor

You will find that the AI has improved a lot with the new (upcoming) patch.
Quote from MR_B :Of which i did for SIX MONTHS! Can anyone here live without LFS for 6 months?

NO
#36 - col
Quote from woodymcruk :not sure about that, hope someone is actually reading all of these ideas,bought the game about 1month ago,and multiplayer is quite impressive,hard on a controller tho.., single player very poor

There's a hint as to why in the logo on the front page is says "Live for Speed online racing simulator"
Quote :

i woudnt completely write it off as a silly idea
could possibly make you a better driver b4 u choose to race m/player(training is in place anyway) (allready said i know)

lots of negative feedback on this forum i love it

I'll assume you mean me (I'm in that sort of mood)
I'm not being negative - just observant and objective.
Some of my all time favorite games are console games where you are fed success and progress steadily to an ultimate victory against the big bad boss. Nothing wrong with that type of game.
LFS is just not that kind of game - it's a simple fact of LFS
Quote :

should b picking the best bits out of all race sims not critisizing
reminds me of sega v nintendo v amiga v pc,some of the the die hard lot arnt exactly open to suggstion

You need to think more deeply!
There are many different 'race sims' out there, unfortunately you CANNOT use the best bits of all of them in one sim e.g.
*One of the best bits of rFactor is that it is easily modable and there are some great community mods available
*One of the best bits of LFS is that it is not modable and the devs carefully control quality of content.
How can you have both of those features in the same game ?
Come on, please do tell

*one of the best bits of Gran Turisimo is that it has loads of licenced tracks and loads of licenced cars
*one of the best bits of LFS is that they don't spend loads of cash on licences so they can make a realistic hardcore sim that doesn't have to appeal to the mass market to break even
How can you have both of those features in the same game ?

getting the idea now?
Quote :

dont forget lfs is reasonably new(s2) ,and reasonably cheap too..

keep the ideas coming in anyway dont worry about people saying its silly or not

(Un)fortunately for me, I've been playing LFS since 2002 (in video game terms that makes it anything but new) and threads suggesting certain features keep re-appearing (usually after a new patch is released, and a load of new players join the community.) The arguments against certain ideas are well honed through repetition, and are accepted by most (though not all) LFS users...

FWIW, you will find that if you do come up with a new idea that is original and intelligent and you present it well, it will receive a good reception here.
Quote :

anyone else have time to read all post sticky etc,i have a autistic child and find it difficult 2 get near pc,time is of a premuim and i dont allways read everything myself...,but hey thats life.,keep up the good work all involved,

If you don't read the stickies and don't research your ideas, then don't complain if they get a less than stellar reception

Don't give up posting though

cheers

Col

Career mode
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG