The online racing simulator
2008 STi vs EVO X at Tsukuba
(35 posts, started )
I'm glad they've continued the tradition of making both cars ****ing ugly.
I test drove a 2007 STI and I was in love... I stopped at every yellow light just so I can feel it launch, rather orgasmic if you ask me.
I don't mind the Subi's front but I want the sedan-y arse back. I'm sick to **** of hot hatches.
#5 - Piddy
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm glad they've continued the tradition of making both cars ****ing ugly.

lol ... This time Subaru have excelled at it!!
Quote from Hankstar :I don't mind the Subi's front but I want the sedan-y arse back. I'm sick to **** of hot hatches.

I agree...
if the subi was sedan id thinkabout it.. but the evo's front end looks agressive i like it!
Nah, due to pedestrian safety, all new cars look chubby at best and obese at worst. Oh how I miss the times of elegant cars, and not bloody bricks with miniaturized windows.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm glad they've continued the tradition of making both cars ****ing ugly.

They didn't simply continue it - they took it to a whole new level. I really don't get it - either the whole world has a totally different sense of what's pleasing to look at or the designers have some nasty sense of humor.

"Hey, let's see... if we make this thing like a cross-eyed frog with a perpetual sneer... will... they buy it? Man! Imagine all those guys driving around trying to look cool in this thing! Oh the joy and amusement - let's do it!"
They made them worst looking than ever and about 1 and a half seconds slower... great job… I actually did like the Subarus before 2004 and the all the evos but now they ruined them both
I agree kaynd. I don´t understand why they are slower than previous versions
Evo 6.5 forever :bowdown:
Don't blame the designers, blame the marketing people who like to make them safe so they can score more points in safety tests. You can't score 5 starts if your car has dangerous edges for pederestians.

Yeah, well, cars also become fatter (and slower, even the technology is more advanced) because adding more bits has been noticed as the best and easiest way to get more stars. Although that should be changing soon as they've finally realized it's possible to make safe light cars, which is better for performance and fuel economy. Mazda for example, lightened one of their models under 1000kg recently. Which is quite something nowdays, when even the most tiny cars weigh much over that.
Quote from Blackout :Don't blame the designers, blame the marketing people who like to make them safe so they can score more points in safety tests. You can't score 5 starts if your car has dangerous edges for pederestians.

Good point but I'm sure they can come up with a rounded off design that looks good and can still score the 5 star bonus multiplier for killing a pedestrian.
Quote from xaotik :Good point but I'm sure they can come up with a rounded off design that looks good and can still score the 5 star bonus multiplier for killing a pedestrian.

Yes, got to remember it's always a question of taste. And that the pederestian safety is relatively new thing, and it might take some time to refine the designs. It might be the stuff we see now is just quick easy solutions they had to make, because usually cars are drawn years before they go to production.
Does it make the slightest bit of difference if a car has a square edge or a rounded edge when it collides with a soft and tender pedestrian torso at 30mph?
Pedestrian safety? If someone is blindly jaywalking across a street, they deserve to be hit. Although I have feared for my own safety in my school's parking lot. You are supposed to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, but some asshat felt that that law didn't apply to him and just when I was almost in front of his car he hits the gas and then takes the turn very sharp and I came in contact with the right quarter panel of his car. He was STOPPED when I stepped off the curb and into the crosswalk. So, I guess pedestrian safety is sort of important. But what's more important is ticketing people who jaywalk, and ticketing cars who do not yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Does it make the slightest bit of difference if a car has a square edge or a rounded edge when it collides with a soft and tender pedestrian torso at 30mph?

Yes it does. Just try for yourself: take a sheet of paper and curve it lightly, and then try to make a dent in it. Quite easy.
Now fold it in the middle and try to dent it at the edge: quite hard, even though it's paper.
And that's the point: the easier it deforms, the more energy is absorbed, the less energy is transferred to the body of the pedestrian, which means less injury is taken.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Does it make the slightest bit of difference if a car has a square edge or a rounded edge when it collides with a soft and tender pedestrian torso at 30mph?

Yes it does. And it's not just about smoothing out sharp edges. For five star rating you must have empty crumple zone for the pedestrian head between the bonnet and the hard engine bits under it. That basically means you need to mount the engine lower or have the bonnet higher, which will obviously look silly. There is lots of other thing, like safer bumbers to protect knees and legs. I'm not sure if there is any legislation for what is illegal, but I think sharp edged boxy cars are thing of the past. Not to mention how bad aerodynamics boxes on wheels have.

edit. Better said what it's all about in the post above this. ^
I don't believe you. Why don't you both come over here and stand in the middle of the road, and I'll go get a couple of test cars.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't believe you. Why don't you both come over here and stand in the middle of the road, and I'll go get a couple of test cars.

No, you come here big man. Polar bears love you long time.

I'm surprised. I was with The Evo for being faster. But i still think it looks a lot better compared to the Subaru.
We've got smackhead chav burglars who can kill you fifteen different ways using the toy from a happy meal - I'm not scared of a little polar bear.
old car times:

1:04.65 Evo V RS
1:04.93 Evo VII RS
1:05.12 Sti Type RA Spec C (2001)
1:05.15 Evo VI RS
1:05.56 Sti Spec C (2003)
1:05.57 Sti (2003)
1:05.69 Evo VI GSR
1:05.72 Evo VI GSR TME
1:05.84 STi Spec C (2001)
1:05.93 Evo VII GSR
1:07.09 Evo V GSR

there would only be one subaru in there if it was'nt for the spec-c which is alittle unfair, i know spec-c's have been dyno'd at over 320bhp but i only see 280bhp jdm evo's in that list?
Quote from thisnameistaken :We've got smackhead chav burglars who can kill you fifteen different ways using the toy from a happy meal - I'm not scared of a little polar bear.

Start packing then. But as the host I choose the cars, and no way can be so rude I would take the honors being the crash test dummy.
The Impreza is kinda ugly .. but the Evo looks nice from what I've seen of it.

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG