The online racing simulator
#51 - Juls
Quote from wsinda :
I guess Scawen must have felt the same when he resigned from his last job i a games company. Perhaps he has no desire to make someone else as miserable as he felt then.

This explains a lot better why they want to stay like that. As soon as you hire new developpers and want to keep full control, you code less and become more a project manager.
Many coders do not want to manage at all, they want to code and I understand...managing is not such a nice job, and being managed is less fun too.

This explaination is 10 times better than the team-larger-than-3-produce-bad-things which is obviously wrong (if team is not too big).

IMO this is a (quality of) life choice more than anything else.
#53 - Juls
Quote from wsinda :Surprise: Even two programmers working at the same keyboard can produce better code than one man. Under the correct conditions, it's both faster and cheaper.

This is even used as a base concept for project management frameworks like extreme programming and more generally Agile development. (And of course, in this company where the boss hired devs to be his "arms", we had to do pair programming).

If you have a very good friend with the same motivation for the project than you, this is the best productive situation. Two motivated people working very close, and on the same keyboard every time it deals with critical code or if one dev feels down. Doing pair-programming all the time is boring.

Many great projects just die because people simply miss a good teammate. (I am working alone now and this is very hard to keep the pace on long-term projects).
Quote from Juls :This is surrealistic...am I really supposed to explain that a software engineer project manager is able to make a 6 people team work faster than a 3 people team while keeping control?

Do you really think project management fails when teams get larger than 3?

I don't think I worded what I was trying to say properly. I know it is faster with more people, but I don't think its 5 times faster with 5 people. There is overhead associated with adding more team members and the bigger the team gets the larger this overhead is. I wasn't trying to suggest that Scawen is faster than 5 men, as I pointed out by saying his process does take longer.
Gtr.
Lol. Lmao.
#56 - Juls
Quote from UncleBenny :I don't think I worded what I was trying to say properly. I know it is faster with more people, but I don't think its 5 times faster with 5 people. There is overhead associated with adding more team members and the bigger the team gets the larger this overhead is. I wasn't trying to suggest that Scawen is faster than 5 men, as I pointed out by saying his process does take longer.

Did I say we were 5 to go 5 times faster?
There was a clue: " Full control, 5 times faster...from my experience it is still easily possible with up to 8 people."

In fact there is something else to consider. When project gets larger, one developper gets less and less productive, because it is too large to have everything in mind and every time you jump from one part of the code to another you have to re-enter the problem.
Too many devs, too much overhead...not enough devs, overhead too.
OMG looks like we do need other people.
You might think that. Others might think that. But if Scawen DOESN'T think that, then you are shedding tears needlessly. For now, and I imagine for a LONG time, Scawen is the Lone Programmer. One man can make a difference.
#58 - Juls
Yes... it is just good to discuss. And finally, most of these forums are for that....we discuss together mostly about LFS, and the great team do what they want.

As a user, I would like to have LFS improved faster. As a software dev, the way they work, this project, how independant they are...is a professional dream!
Ahh, the old typical threads return at Patch releases

Come on guys, just relax and get used to the "LFS way". Maybe you recently joined the community and need to understand how things work here.

To the guy who moved on to RACE07 because the "more advanced physics": WTF?

About rain & day/night transitions: We also want those features, but there are more important things to do first. Racing in the wet is damn hard, and most people (me included) are still struggling to have a decent pace on dry tarmac, so in the end, it wouldn't be used that much.

How many wet pickup races are on the GTR2/RACE servers? (Just curiosity)
Quote from Eldanor :About rain & day/night transitions: We also want those features, but there are more important things to do first. Racing in the wet is damn hard, and most people (me included) are still struggling to have a decent pace on dry tarmac, so in the end, it wouldn't be used that much.

yup, i think the same thing every time someone asks for rain. it will probably be used publicly for less than a week before people realize how hard it is and get sick of it. still might be used in leagues from time to time, but overall i don't think its as important as some other things.
Recruit people to develop LFS?...
SCAWEN! ERIC! VICTOR! READ THIS!
Have I got the perfect recruit for you! This guy is phenomenal! He can work as long as 100 hours a week. WITHOUT TAKING A LUNCH! He'll do whatever you tell him without hesitation or asking why. In fact if you can get past his illiteracy, He'd make a great addition!

If that don't work out I also know this girl that's a real whiz at coding.
She's not available right now, but when she gets out in 6 months, She'll be more than ready to get to work. Even though the terms of her parole prohibit her from operating a computer, she went in for identity theft, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

.... some people just don't understand do they?
Quote from Eldanor :

How many wet pickup races are on the GTR2/RACE servers? (Just curiosity)

There aren't any dry race servers online neither.

Okay, J/K
#63 - Juls
Quote from Racer Y :Recruit people to develop LFS?...
SCAWEN! ERIC! VICTOR! READ THIS!
Have I got the perfect recruit for you! This guy is phenomenal! He can work as long as 100 hours a week. WITHOUT TAKING A LUNCH! He'll do whatever you tell him without hesitation or asking why. In fact if you can get past his illiteracy, He'd make a great addition!

If that don't work out I also know this girl that's a real whiz at coding.
She's not available right now, but when she gets out in 6 months, She'll be more than ready to get to work. Even though the terms of her parole prohibit her from operating a computer, she went in for identity theft, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

.... some people just don't understand do they?

This is a lie. We, devs, are sane and healthy when we have enough pills per hour: :tired:
And nolife means nojail too!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG