The online racing simulator
Street Racing Opinion?
(252 posts, started )
Street Racing Opinion?
There's a very interesting attack on street racing. I want to know (for personal reasons) where do professional racing fans stand on street racing.

Now, the street racing I'm talking about is not racing Touring Car in Surfers Paradise or Formula 1 in Monaco. But I'm talking about illegal nos drag, drift or traffic dodging street racing. Here's the opinion

Quote :
Street Racing should be completely banned in all countries and discouraged in media. While video games such as Need for Speed may glorify street racing, it may be the exception since NFS creators has stressed that NFS is A VIDEO GAME and acting out the concept in reality is not meant on being taken into consideration

Movies like The Fast and the Furious give racing a very bad name. I have no problem with drifting as long as it's done in a safe and organized fashion. (D1 Drift Grand Prix) However, illegal drifting (such as drifting in traffic) should be completely discouraged by the common community. There is absolutely no reason to drift (or street racing) down a highway filled with other third party cars and pedestrians. It needlessly endangers the street racer's life as well as the lives of innocent bystandards trying to make their way home after a long work day.

If you have the "need for speed" so to speak. There is no need to spend millions of dollars illegally modifying your car. The dangers of installing NOS on your car is irrational and many people have died from faluty NOS installation. Getting you car confiscated by the police would also another factor to consider.

Take racing to the tracks where mature professionals race. Some people spend a fortune modifying their cars when they can spend the same amount or less financing a private race team in a lower league (such as Star Mazda or Formula Ford or even the NASCAR regional divisions). Doing well in these leagues would also give you a promising future as a race car driver as well as a large amount of money. While winning a street race would give you no substancial achievement. How many street racers do you know that are more famous or publically reconized than Mario Andretti, Michael Schumacher, Jeff Gordon, Sebastian Bourdais, Colin McRae, Keiichi Tsuchiya or even John Force. Some defend street racing as a portrayal of pride. Seriously, can you honestly say that winning a "street race" would be more satisfying than winning a Monaco Grand Prix or the Daytona 500?

Plain and simple. Those who street race do not have the skill, maturity and or discipline to race professional. Street Racing should never be encouraged or hyped up. It is idiotic, irrational and lacks all the excitement that professional racing series such as Formula 1, Touring Car, GT, or even NASCAR offers. What these series offer is excitement in the form of good clean competition among cars as well as complicated racing strategies that provide a nail biting finish. Street Racing provide neither and should never be allowed into such a glorified stage that we are experiencing right now.

Need for Speed's Pro Street is a very interesting concept and I personally enjoy the game. However, I doubt and hope for the good of all racing that street racing would never reach that level. It is moral decadence and deliquency in the form of racing

I found this to be a very strong article. But before I give my opinion of it what do you guys think?
Strong? While it is rare to see someone use common sense these days, its not particulary a strong piece. Anyone with his head screwed on can say that!

The problem lies with the people who reckon:
a) Fast n Furious to be a great movie
b) think that your 1984 Civic can be turned into a supercar..

Thats a complete lack of common sense, hence the problem.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Strong? While it is rare to see someone use common sense these days, its not particulary a strong piece. Anyone with his head screwed on can say that!

The problem lies with the people who reckon:
a) Fast n Furious to be a great movie
b) think that your 1984 Civic can be turned into a supercar..

Thats a complete lack of common sense, hence the problem.

LAWL. whether or not the FnF is a great movie would be your opinion. While as a movie stand point it's average (ever see it win an oscar or beat a clint eastwood film? I dont think so)

It was pretty entertaining but Tokyo Drift was annoying for me.

Quote :b) think that your 1984 Civic can be turned into a supercar..

and what do you mean by that? It takes only $200,000 - $300,000 to finance a whole seasons of the Formula Mazda. While I know street racers who spend more to modify their cars

But i will agree that it's generally easier and cheaper to do illegal street racing than professional circuit or oval racing. But of course that's where the racing school and racing teams are suppose to help
Quote from lizardfolk :and what do you mean by that? It takes only $200,000 - $300,000 to finance a whole seasons of the Formula Mazda. While I know street racers who spend more to modify their cars

Now...I'm terribly sorry,but Taiwan is the country that built my motherboard, NOT the country where they spend 300k dollars on a civic...

people who CAN spend 300k+ can spend their money on something that handles, that is fast, and is awesomely good looking...let's say...ehm... Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Wiessman, TVR...
now please enlighten me, WHY wouldn't a reasonable man buy a cheap japanese car and spend all the money in the world on it?

anyway
In my opinion, every streetracer is irresponsible stupid POOR (since no money for track days) guy who saw the FnF and thought "oooh, that's a great movie...I will also do that in my 1978 Fiat Panda...it's almost as good as their cars"
Quote from squidhead :Now...I'm terribly sorry,but Taiwan is the country that built my motherboard, NOT the country where they spend 300k dollars on a civic...

people who CAN spend 300k+ can spend their money on something that handles, that is fast, and is awesomely good looking...let's say...ehm... Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Wiessman, TVR...
now please enlighten me, WHY wouldn't a reasonable man buy a cheap japanese car and spend all the money in the world on it?

I havent lived in Taiwan for over a decade. I live in Hawaii. (Which is crazed with street racing).

People modify all kinds of stuff. I've even seen an illegally modified Ferrarri LOL.

Dont ask me ask the street racers I dont know if your trying to counter me (which there's nothing to counter since I didn't write the article) but your argument was my argument. I didn't even say I completely agreed with the article. I just want what the community thinks about it...sheesh, u think ppl would read the entire post instead of jumping to conclusions -_-

Edited: anyways you probably never meet some of the gangster street racers I've known. They got more money than meets the eye (i think they can even finance a F1 Minardi team), but that'll be if they pooled their money, which they sometimes do
Quote from lizardfolk :I found this to be a very strong article. But before I give my opinion of it what do you guys think?

I think this is not a 'strong' article, it is plain common sense.

Anybody who engages in public street racing or -drifting has a few screws loose and apparently lacks any sense of responsibility. To be honest, I wouldn't give two shits if someone crashes on a street race and kills himself, but as it is with public places, chances are that there are innocent bystanders present, and THESE people don't deserve to die or be crippled just because some immature prick thinks it's cool to do illegal things.
Quote from the article said :John Force

Never heard of it but that's some John Rambo class name.
Quote from squidhead :Now...I'm terribly sorry,but Taiwan is the country that built my motherboard...

and your vid card and ram and laptops and scooters. I'd personally prefer we have brands like nVidia or Intel who design stuff, and leave the manufacturing to others, but this is OT.

Quote :

There is something entirely different in building your own car, with loads of cash and low C/P and whatever trouble. It's like playing an MMORPG where you have some sense of progress, of uniqueness. It's totally different when someone admires a tricked-out Civic and a brand new Porsche, unique and rich. What would anyone do to a Porsche anyway? You spend a fortune and end up getting what thousands others got. Well it's fine because I love Porsches (and Ferraris and Lambos etc) but understand some people prefer tuners. I believe if they're born rich they'd tune Porsches, too.

Quote :
anyway
In my opinion, every streetracer is irresponsible stupid POOR (since no money for track days) guy who saw the FnF and thought "oooh, that's a great movie...I will also do that in my 1978 Fiat Panda...it's almost as good as their cars"

I think Tokyo Drift wasn't a bad movie at all. It does well for what it set out to do, like painting a (too) vivid picture of the underground and showing some impressive D1GP skills.

Street racing in real life is stupid, no question about that. There are loads of stupid things to do in real life anyway.
Not a strong article - quite weak, and poorly written. But based on good old common sense.

Street Racing is stupid.

You can race, in England, with an annual budget of less than £5k (all in, except the car, and perhaps the initial preparation if starting from scratch). Or you can sprint/hillclimb/autocross for a LOT less than that. For the price of a stupid stereo and amp system (which merely allows sensible people to stop the idiots) you can have 4 runs at Brands Hatch with your mates to see who is 'fastest'. And you can do it safely, without having to look out for police.

Only retards race on the roads. Unfortunately, it's the same retards that fit bodykits, watch FnF films, and type using numbers instead of letters, and it's becoming more and more common. For the sake of the world, common sense, and the human gene pool, anyone found in such a car, or doing such an activity should be killed on sight.
Quote from yoyoML :
I think Tokyo Drift wasn't a bad movie at all.

Excuse me for offtopic, but by what means did you come to that?
Not only they failed to make more or less believable streetracing scene, but also

The script is rubbish
The actors are rubbish
The cars are made to impress people who know nothing about cars...

really...what was so good about it?

Quote from deggis :Never heard of it but that's some John Rambo class name.

John Force (born May 4, 1949 in Bell Gardens, California) is an NHRA drag racer and 14-time Funny Car champion. He is one of the most dominant drag racers in the sport with 122 career victories.

Wikipedia...
Quote from tristancliffe :Not a strong article - quite weak, and poorly written. But based on good old common sense.

Street Racing is stupid.

You can race, in England, with an annual budget of less than £5k (all in, except the car, and perhaps the initial preparation if starting from scratch). Or you can sprint/hillclimb/autocross for a LOT less than that. For the price of a stupid stereo and amp system (which merely allows sensible people to stop the idiots) you can have 4 runs at Brands Hatch with your mates to see who is 'fastest'. And you can do it safely, without having to look out for police.

Only retards race on the roads. Unfortunately, it's the same retards that fit bodykits, watch FnF films, and type using numbers instead of letters, and it's becoming more and more common. For the sake of the world, common sense, and the human gene pool, anyone found in such a car, or doing such an activity should be killed on sight.

You should of written that article. I don't buy into all the crap about computer games and music affecting kids. 'GTA made my kid shoot up his school and steal a car', no your shit parenting made him do that. The same way your kid crashing the family hatchback in a 'street race' was caused by your poor parenting, not the latest NFS game.
Quote from lizardfolk :I found this to be a very strong article.

That's not a strong article. A strong article would be the one below, written by, err, myself, just now.
Quote from A Strong Article :Anyone who illegally races or drifts on the open public road or highway should be shot in the head before they kill some innocent family or passer-by.

I think my version is much fairer, too.
Quote from squidhead :Excuse me for offtopic, but by what means did you come to that?
Not only they failed to make more or less believable streetracing scene, but also

The script is rubbish
The actors are rubbish
The cars are made to impress people who know nothing about cars...

really...what was so good about it?

By means it did what it set out to do, or did you read my post? Have you even seen anything about drifting Japanese? They DO drift down mountain roads 10 at a time, yes with a lot less smoke. And if that's your opinion about the "cars" part you obviously didn't look past skin deep. Some of the drifting they did were pretty precise, like where one drifted up a spiral with bumpers almost touching the walls.

Wait, let me guess, DORIFITO is rubbish! Oh well, learning more adjectives will help.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You should of written that article. I don't buy into all the crap about computer games and music affecting kids. 'GTA made my kid shoot up his school and steal a car', no your shit parenting made him do that. The same way your kid crashing the family hatchback in a 'street race' was caused by your poor parenting, not the latest NFS game.

The latest NFS actually got back onto race tracks in sanctioned events.

I agree that "It's the game that made lil' Johnny do that" is just lame excuse. Doom would've had me chaingun everyone in sight a decade ago.
Stupid article. Street racing is banned in most countries and video games are fiction. Thanks... its not like there isn't enough moral panic in today's world as it is.
Quote from yoyoML :By means it did what it set out to do, or did you read my post? Have you even seen anything about drifting Japanese? They DO drift down mountain roads 10 at a time, yes with a lot less smoke.

continuing your logics

And they do drift parking lots, and chase each other while drifting and shooting, and the movie showed the Japanese drift scene perfectly...
Right?

Quote from yoyoML :And if that's your opinion about the "cars" part you obviously didn't look past skin deep. Some of the drifting they did were pretty precise, like where one drifted up a spiral with bumpers almost touching the walls.

Wait, let me guess, DORIFITO is rubbish! Oh well, learning more adjectives will help.

Quote from yoyoML :And if that's your opinion about the "cars" part you obviously didn't look past skin deep. Some of the drifting they did were pretty precise, like where one drifted up a spiral with bumpers almost touching the walls.

1) The cars were rubbish (look me in the eye and say that RB26DETT powered 67 Fastback is a great car and I will advice you to avoid talking about cars...)

2) More then 50% of their drifting was done in 3d...INCLUDING the spiral drifting...
the real thing could be seen in the mountains scenes (exept when the girl was driving) the donut around the car, and some of the city scenes and the docks...

IF you want to see drifting - you watch D1.
IF you want to see Movie - you watch something worth watching.

Quote from yoyoML : Wait, let me guess, DORIFITO is rubbish!

Yup, that's exactly why I post only drifting movies, drift in LFS and have joined a drift team
or in other words - got no facts - keep your words to yourself...

P.s: You know how to edit , but still doublepost... I see your logic now...
Quote from lizardfolk :and what do you mean by that? It takes only $200,000 - $300,000 to finance a whole seasons of the Formula Mazda. While I know street racers who spend more to modify their cars.

Where in the hell did you get those figures? Maybe for a bottom-of-the-barrel team, yes.

Anyone who spends $200k modifying their 84 Civic has the intelligence level equivalent to that of the common household toaster. Not one of those fancy toaster-ovens, either; I'm talking the standard classic aluminum 2-slice toaster that always burns bread to a crisp.

Street racing is for people who are even stupider than that; they're equivalent to the classic aluminum 2-slice toaster that always burns 1 slice of bread to a crisp because only one side works.

Street racing is for morons, in other words.
The article is far away from being strong or harsh in any way, and bang on... Tristan's and STROBE's versions would be more like what I would write... And although I don't quite believe the amount of money the writer claims people spend on their illegaly tuned cars, it is quite much... I myself am always banging on about why people have to buy cheap POS-cars and throw loads of money at it when they could easily buy a good car with it...
Quote from MAGGOT :Anyone who spends $200k modifying their 84 Civic has the intelligence level equivalent to that of the common household toaster. Not one of those fancy toaster-ovens, either; I'm talking the standard classic aluminum 2-slice toaster that always burns bread to a crisp.

That kind of IQ gifted individual now can be calles short, and catchy - "GANGSTA STREETRACER"
as told here

Quote from lizardfolk :Edited: anyways you probably never meet some of the gangster street racers I've known. They got more money than meets the eye (i think they can even finance a F1 Minardi team), but that'll be if they pooled their money, which they sometimes do

Quote from MAGGOT :Anyone who spends $200k modifying their 84 Civic has the intelligence level equivalent to that of the common household toaster. Not one of those fancy toaster-ovens, either; I'm talking the standard classic aluminum 2-slice toaster that always burns bread to a crisp.

Yea, what an idiot. My 84 Civic goes just as fast as his, and all I needed were 234 $1 Type-R stickers.
Feels quite strange to call people "street racers" when most of them do their best to ruin car's handling and performance by adding heavy subwoofers into the trunk and run on a suspension setup which works only on roads that are smooth as a glass.
I have to say, if i ever see a drifter on the streets and i'm not in any half decent car, i'll be happy to hit him and blame it on him.
I hate street racers, and I have those people who zoom by you on the highway. I think that amateurs who actually want to race should get together, build a race track, and race their brains out there instead of on the public roads. There have been too many street racing accidents here in Toronto, and in every other major city unfortunately. It's a sad way to die. (I'm talking about the victims not the racers themselves).
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I hate street racers, and I have those people who zoom by you on the highway. I think that amateurs who actually want to race should get together, build a race track, and race their brains out there instead of on the public roads. There have been too many street racing accidents here in Toronto, and in every other major city unfortunately. It's a sad way to die. (I'm talking about the victims not the racers themselves).

Do you realize how expensive it is to build and maintain a race track? And don't tell me about going to a race track nearby (Lime Rock Park) as it is almost impossible to find a spot open for those going for a track day without joining a club of some sort that races regularly. Most people, including me, have no money to pay for the constant fees of gas to get up to the track, and the cost of racing on the track.

I think those that can street race responsibly (doing it on the highway at night) aren't ever the ones in the news killing people b crashing out of control. They wait until there are no cars before racing, that way the only people endangered are themselves. I would much rather kill myself doing something I enjoy then end someone else's life.

I agree that those who race on crowded highways or streets should be punished to the fullest extent though.

If they brought back the drag strip here in Connecticut that was sold off to Consumer Reports I believe that it would take racing off the streets as those who want to drag race have to go all the way down to New Jersey (4 hour ride) just to get to a 1/4 strip. Why waste all the money and time to drive down there when you can just pull a run or two on an empty country road.
Quote from Dennisjr13 : Most people, including me, have no money to pay for the constant fees of gas to get up to the track, and the cost of racing on the track.

Then don't race. Simple.

Street Racing Opinion?
(252 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG