The online racing simulator
some new netkar pro screens
(148 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse : LFS could look like that if it had photorealistic textures

LFS would look like that if the devs opted for high resolution textures. The textures we have now are nowhere near the resolution of these textures. Which is a good decision on the LFS dev's part, since it can run in many systems, however... I still think some very high quality textures could be done by Eric, it is just the boundaries the devs try not to pass (memory usage, overall package filesize, etc). If we ever did get LFS in a super high quality package, it surely would be 700mb+ in size.
not always though; need for speed did a good job making most wanted i think with this whole HD technology i think it looks pretty good (especially on PS2) yes it has blur effect, but not like it did in the undergrounds; NFSMW is currently the best graphical game i've ever seen; a few things are a little 'unreal' but for selling purposes surely

usually games these days make the tarmac reflect light.. good; that does happen, but not that much. In games, you get about 3x reflection than what is normal in life
look at this picture (or go outside and look down a street if the sun is out and look towards the sun)
http://www.desertwide.com/subdivisions/SunGroves2/street.jpg
a road doesnt really 'reflect' light; it diffuses light, and thats how it should look ingame, so far every game except NFSMW has literally reflected the lightsource itself and is weird looking
either way; i suggest some of you look at some of the videos at the NFSMW website showing how the made the game, because its pretty interesting (keep in mind this is not another need for speed underground; NFS is going back to its roots but taking a few things from underground with it)
Even though it would be 700+ Mb, I think it would be quite cool to have an option to have those high quality textures. Just having another packet to download if you wanted them. People with low-end systems wouldn't have to download it of course but the lucky ones with high-end systems could just download the high-res texture add-on package and be happy
Quote from XCNuse :(keep in mind this is not another need for speed underground; NFS is going back to its roots but taking a few things from underground with it)

LOL. It's still FAR away from the real NFS feeling. Still too much bling bling.

And I was about to say in my previous reply that Most Wanted is currently the most horrid example of these blur/bloom/post-processing/whatever LSD drug effects. The graphics are actually quite oldish but the blooming shit effects covers that... such a easy way to make games look "better".
Quote from Tweaker :Only other problem i see with the tire wear texture... it is ALL one texture on the tire, rather than inner/middle/outer. So basically, it seems now they only have it wear for one area, rather than make it appear worn more on the edges, as it should. I may sound picky because it doesn't have that... but hey, if you attempt to simulate visual tire wear differences, why not do that? Hopefully they do get that done.

I think the texture is split.

I thought this pic looked almost photoreal when I saw it.

Edit - Kunos says not in v1.0, but maybe in a later patch.
Attached images
mot.jpg
Quote from Matrixi :Even though it would be 700+ Mb, I think it would be quite cool to have an option to have those high quality textures. Just having another packet to download if you wanted them. People with low-end systems wouldn't have to download it of course but the lucky ones with high-end systems could just download the high-res texture add-on package and be happy

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... page=1&highlight=hemi
Quote from 5th Earth :That second pic would be a good one to show the people who whine about the dirt being too severe.

I don't understand what you mean there. Good to show them, why?
To me it shows that the drivers there don't care about getting dirt on their tyres. I can only assume that is because they don't feel the grip drops off that much when they do, and any minor amount of time they lose with dirty tyres is more than compensated for by making the small cut in the first place.

Did you see it a different way?

A. Whinorr
Quote from Tweaker :If we ever did get LFS in a super high quality package, it surely would be 700mb+ in size.

but wouldn't that be lovely for like a texture add on pack that was entirely optional to download after you download the game
#35 - axus
Quote from Tweaker :LFS would look like that if the devs opted for high resolution textures. The textures we have now are nowhere near the resolution of these textures. Which is a good decision on the LFS dev's part, since it can run in many systems, however... I still think some very high quality textures could be done by Eric, it is just the boundaries the devs try not to pass (memory usage, overall package filesize, etc). If we ever did get LFS in a super high quality package, it surely would be 700mb+ in size.

If we were to edit the .dds files in [LFS Folder]\data\dds could we resize them and make better textures? Would LFS still scale them and put them in the right places?
Quote from axus :If we were to edit the .dds files in [LFS Folder]\data\dds could we resize them and make better textures? Would LFS still scale them and put them in the right places?

I tried changing resolution of *.raw's in S1, it worked okay.

I wanted to remake my 2003 winter mod, tried to create trees with bare branches, changed the resolution of the pictures themselves and alpha channels, and this worked out, but caused a notable, heavy fps drop, mostly where the "real" trees were. They use quite a lot of resourses and caused problems. Judging by the decrease of their amount in S2, the "real" trees are not as good as the devs hoped at the S1 stage.
So has anyone tried the namie version of netKar yet? I've just had a blast after not touching it for over a year, and it instantly felt brilliant.

When nKPro is released, I've no doubt that LFS will have it's biggest competitor ever (well, the reality is that most people will probably get both ).

For those claiming it might be all about the graphics then you're quite wrong. They are in-game shots - no Photoshopping - taken from the replay mode which raises the graphic quality with the extra processing power normally used for physics. That idea is used in Gran Turismo so that screenshots always look superb.

But, don't let that fool you. The physics have always been the focus of nK. I'm sure this will be more hardcore than LFS as Stefano has a history of making no-compromises when it comes to realism. It's also worth noting that they have a number of motorsport partners involved including a Formula 3 team.

Another important element is that the release of nK will be followed by a development kit, allowing mods.

Anyway, there will be a demo on release so there's no need to take my word for it
Tempted to go and find namie again, from what I remember NK was totally uncompromising, forced cockpit and most likely no keyboards. Just a different attitude, there's no point bitching about this the dev is totally determined to make it as realistic as possible regardless of any sales he looses from it.

LFS is actually the most forgiving of the 3 sims worth knowing about IMO (Papy, NK and LFS). The road cars weren't totally convincing, but the single seaters were just fantastic
Downloaded it again and the physics are fantastic, the F3000 feels right, there is no difficulty in starting it without going round in circles yet when it's going the ground effects are amazing and it really looses its ground effects over bumps This is what the FO8 should be like. There's no question IMO that this beats LFS hands down in the physics department and like N2003 it is to satisfying to test on your own, whereas LFS is just lacking some of that magic and creates fairly boring hotlaping.

Screens straight from NK namie, remember this is free, the track (Falkenberg) was originally made for GPL and this is on my computer which doesn't do GTL/rFactor. The only setting which I touched was the screen resolution and it works brilliantly out of the box. FPS seems stable and although there is no FPS counter I'd guess it's about 45 ish (higher than LFS). Admitably these graphics are with one car.

There's no doubt in my mind that those screens are unedited, and like LFS and N2003 it looks like a real track and like it should do it feels slow when you're driving but extremely fast in the replays, which have fantastic cameras that actually seem to move realisticly.

Go and get it from www.nkzone.com
Attached images
f3000_falkenberg.jpg
f3000_cockpit.jpg
#40 - axus
Perhaps it beats LFS hands down in the Single-Seater physics department and the only SS car that has been around for a while in LFS is the MRT which hasn't got downforce. The road cars which have been around in LFS for ages are near perfect and have great feel to them. The SS department will improve once there has been some physics editing based on input after the rigerous testing from the community. Scawen is working on physics now AFAIK.

EDIT: Would it be that difficult to make some high-res textures ourselves and release a high-res texture pack? If we had ~10 people working on it won't be that much work and it will be great for the community - anyone up for it?
Actually the road cars in LFS are no way near as realisic as NK is, I don't think Scawen actually programmed them to have that totally uncompromising edge that Kunos has, the fact that LFS is controllable with keys says it all, LFS is geared more towards multiplayer racing and usability, whereas NK is geared towards being as realistic as possible regardless of how much of the potential market it kills off.
There are still whacky bugs in the road car physics of Netkar though ajp71. Specifically terrain and certain edge clipping issues. I remember having them last time I played that namie version. Still felt WIP, but was ok to enjoy it for a while. nkPro looks promising indeed, since it most likely wont have that WIP feel to it like namie currently has.
I know what you mean to an extent but this is more with the add on tracks quality. As for the feel and general lack of control in the road cars I think it is caused mainly by the unforgivingness of the physics combined with cars which aren't fully refined. Just read more good news on RSC release should be within a month or 2 and there will be rain in a later release. It just shows the determination with which NK is made, the rain will actually simulate fluids with puddles in the track
Quote from axus :EDIT: Would it be that difficult to make some high-res textures ourselves and release a high-res texture pack? If we had ~10 people working on it won't be that much work and it will be great for the community - anyone up for it?

Good idea! I'm not an artist, but I could creat an installer for the texture pack.
#45 - axus
LFS controllable with keys? The 4WD and FWD cars, yes to some extent, but by no means quicker than wheel. The RWD cars you have some hope of getting around the track but I wouldn't go any further than that. I think that you cannot call LFS compromising. Try do a quickish lap of any track other than maybe the oval in the raceabout or an LX and with keyboard and I will be impressed. LFS road cars are _very_ realistic. Name one aspect where they are not... (except the low speed tyre physics which doesn't really affect racing all that much).
LFS doesn't even simulate structural rigidity, which is a massive component in car handling. Has it never occured to you that open to Minis do not race in reality? As there weight advantage would be almost irelevant when compared to there handling disadvantage?
#47 - axus
Quote from ajp71 :LFS doesn't even simulate structural rigidity, which is a massive component in car handling. Has it never occured to you that open to Minis do not race in reality? As there weight advantage would be almost irelevant when compared to there handling disadvantage?

Slow down - these things are yet to come. This is because they haven't been programmed yet, not because they have been programmed in a compromising manner.
Just a sidenote:
LFS isn't ready yet, S3 is distant future. S2 isn't even ready yet, though most of the parts are there. Nk pro isn't readu either.

It's very hard to compare anything when there is nothing to compare.

That namie has certainly some issues but in general it has its good points. Just like LFS.

The things that will rate nk pro are imho online stability ("smoothness") and physics. It's great to hear that the nk pro will be moddable from the start. If the game is any good there will be many interesting cars to drive.

Quote from axus :EDIT: Would it be that difficult to make some high-res textures ourselves and release a high-res texture pack? If we had ~10 people working on it won't be that much work and it will be great for the community - anyone up for it?

Actually it's all about starting the project. All that is needed are the dds plugin, artistic talent and time. I lack the first 2
Just one question: which car to do first?
#49 - axus
Quote from Hyperactice :Actually it's all about starting the project. All that is needed are the dds plugin, artistic talent and time. I lack the first 2
Just one question: which car to do first?

DDS plugin is easy - extract this ZIP and place dds.8di in the Photoshop\Plugins\File Formats Folder. Artisitc tallent is a tough one I'm afraid.
Quote from axus :Slow down - these things are yet to come. This is because they haven't been programmed yet, not because they have been programmed in a compromising manner.

Stefano simply wouldn't have allowed a convertable version of a car that didn't have a handling disadvantage, just like he won't release NK Pro with the rain and AI which aren't up to scratch initially. I'm not complaining about Scawen's work, more commenting on their different philosophies on the same product. Scawen, Eric and Victor have set about creating a realistic simulation of all forms of motorsport with the goal being having fun. Stefano has set about creating the most realisitic simulation ever made, he's totally uncompromising and you aren't going to suddenley see a load of autocross layouts with jumps on, nor are you going to see flashy fullscreen menus, thats just not his style. There's nothing wrong with either.

Having used NK a bit more I also have to say that the simple windowed menus and ability to save individual laps for replays are great.

So please can LFS and all the other sims add the option not to have menus that have used up all your RAM on displaying 3D buttons by the time you get to race and please can we have a rewind button in LFS replays.
Attached images
nk_menu.jpg

some new netkar pro screens
(148 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG