Hybrid (Vista + XP) Network Problems
Slightly different problem for you guys to get your heads around.
I have a LAN set up at home with the following profile:

Netgear 834 Wireless router
|
PC_0(server XP Pro)WIRED - PC_1(Main PC Vista Ultimate)WIRED - PC_2 (MrsB, XP Home) WIRED - PC_3 (Emmy, XP Home) WIRED - PC_5 (Laptop, Vista Premium) WIRELESS

The problem is file copying..either from one PC to another, or even from my internal hard drive (SATA 2) to an external USB Drive (or even to itself!!) is PAINFULLY slow!!
Before I got the new SATA 2 HD my file copy times were lots faster..any ideas?

Example...moving a 6Gb file from one folder to another ON THE SAME BLOODY DRIVE (a SATA 2!!!) took about 8 minutes!!! This is on a Core 2 Quad system with 2 Gb RAM...surely it should be faster than that?

PS..Yes, I HAVE run disc checkers and defragged the drive

#2 - DeKo
Might have bought a duf drive. Is it just a stock average 7200rpm drive?
Quote from DeKo :Might have bought a duf drive. Is it just a stock average 7200rpm drive?

Got 4 drives on this box...a 500 Gb Sata 2, a 200 Gb Sata 1, and two external 400Gb (USB 2)...the problem is the same no matter which drives I'm copying from/to

And yes..It IS a 7200 RPM...a Western Digital. (the 200 is a Maxtor and the 2 externals are Samsungs)
#4 - DeKo
very tedious but have you tried removing them all and trying them all one by one, obviously not the one with the main OS install on it though.

Dont really know why it would be doing that, never heard of a problem like that in my life.
copying things around on a drive is allways slow 8 mins for 6 gigs seems about right or in fact quick actually
Doesn't Vista have such problems in general.

Maybe this can also help you
http://support.microsoft.com/? ... B931770&x=19&y=10

or use google with:
slow file copy vista hotfix

but it can be anything. I once had also problems when I used my first SATA II disk.
It was a mainboard problem (the SATA II port couldn't really handle SATA II speed properly)
In the end I had to use it as normal SATA on that board.
#7 - ajp71
Quote from Shotglass :copying things around on a drive is allways slow 8 mins for 6 gigs seems about right or in fact quick actually

I'd of thought over a minute a GB on a modern computer with a SATA drive is rather slow, it takes me about 30 seconds to copy a film (700mb) from my external hard drive to my iBook (and that's only a 1.4ghz PPC).
Been reading the stuff on Macro$hatfs website, and I thought.."A-HA"..downloaded the fix...ran it...and got the message "This fix does not apply to your system"

I _DID_ get the right version..32 bit, not 64..and yet it done work
Looks like I might have to boot into XP (got dual booty system ) every time I want to copy a big file...
Quote from ajp71 :I'd of thought over a minute a GB on a modern computer with a SATA drive is rather slow, it takes me about 30 seconds to copy a film (700mb) from my external hard drive to my iBook (and that's only a 1.4ghz PPC).

ok forget about the wuick bit but it still isnt all that slow ... remember that the drive cant read and write at the same time ... add some fragmentation to the equation and before you know it youve dropped to random access levels
This is a known problem. Many people I know have problems networking Vista and XP, and transferring files between the two is incredibly slow. Hopefully this issue will be addressed in SP1.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG