The online racing simulator
ISP (BT Yahoo) issue
(1 post, started )
#1 - ajp71
ISP (BT Yahoo) issue
I've been having connection issues recently, I'm pretty certain it's my ISP not a line problem. My ISP is BT Yahoo (the 8mb package).

Generally I have a good connection (5-6mb), however, at times I loose my connection completely for short periods of time, enough to time out in LFS and downloads and streaming web videos have become less reliable. This all effects the connection mainly on the times I want to use it most (ie. evenings and weekends).

I'm pretty certain it's not the physical connection because there's a business line into my house as well that doesn't have these issues, which I'm sure is in the same cable a soon as it leaves my house. Whenever we have issues BT Yahoo seem very keen to blame it on BT (as in the separate company who do the phone lines), we haven't phoned them yet over the recent issues because there customer service is so hopelessly useless. In the past we've had similar problems and they sent out countless BT engineers who seemed rather confused as to what the issue was and never really seemed to do anything other than just 'remapping' us on the exchange yet again (whatever that means?). Then one day the problems just stopped so we guessed it was due to BT Yahoo having finally fixed something.

The separate business line was installed after our old issues seemed to have gone. When it was installed we got the engineer to check the other line into the house and he said both seemed absolutely fine and should get 5.x mb (because of the connection to the exchange), which they do. In the flooding a few months ago all 4 phonelines (home/business ADSL + home/business phone) and everybody elses in the area went out. They went down for about 3 weeks apparently some part of the local exchange had been flooded, some numpty confused one of our phonelines for another number, which was soon apparent by a sudden increase in the number of people calling the wrong number. After that everything worked fine and it hasn't been an issue until the last week or so.

These issues happen on all the computers connected to the router (1 wired Windows, 1 PCI adapter wireless Windows and 2 Mac laptops).

Does anybody have any suggestions to what might be causing this and if it's worth switching ISPs?

Last time we were tied into a contract and without another ADSL line couldn't really argue that the line wasn't the issue. The only thing I've got to do is try and convince my parents that loosing their e-mail addresses isn't a big problem, which isn't going to be easy :doh:

ISP (BT Yahoo) issue
(1 post, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG