The online racing simulator
New Laptop
(29 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :Opening it usually voids the warranty, as does swapping parts, just imagine what happened if someone used ultra-extra Value RAM that was dead and the PC wouldn't boot? Or if they tried to use DDR in a DDR2 slot or something?

I'm no "expert" but I'm fairly certain that you are incorrect. As I understand it, most - if not all manufacturers - will not void the warranty just because you upgraded the RAM or even installed a new hard drive. I think what happens is that, naturally, they won't cover the new parts under the laptop's warranty. I'm pretty sure that it does not completely void the warranty, in the same way that putting new tires on your car does not void your whole warranty.

If anything, if you do have a problem, they might ask you to return it in its "original configuration" - AKA, with the parts it came with.

I have some Dell laptops here (a few years old) and even the hard drives slide out by removing ONE SCREW, and can be VERY easily interchanged or replaced. I'm pretty certain this was done for the consumer should they feel like upgrading it. The memory slot was also imprinted with a little RAM chip symbol.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I'm no "expert" but I'm fairly certain that you are incorrect.

Of course he's incorrect, he's Jakg after all. I will say this again, just in case you missed it earlier: all my friends upgraded the RAM in their laptops without any problems and without voiding any warranty. I just did it too. If any laptop manufacturer imposes such stupid conditions on you, such as not being able to upgrade memory, then just walk away and don't buy from them. I would never support the stupid manufacturers, and you shouldn't either.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :If any laptop manufacturer imposes such stupid conditions on you, such as not being able to upgrade memory, then just walk away and don't buy from them. I would never support the stupid manufacturers, and you shouldn't either.

Touche (e with the little accent thingey...)
:uglyhamme

New Laptop
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG