The online racing simulator
When is it best to shift gear?
(38 posts, started )
#1 - myx
In the start of each race and on the straights it seems i am a little bit slower then other cars, even if i exit a turn with more speed. Am i supposed to shift before or after the red light indicator? What gives maximum speed?

My first post.
When the red light comes on, you shift. The only exception is if you know that you won't be in the new gear for long, like when approaching a corner.
Quote from myx :In the start of each race and on the straights it seems i am a little bit slower then other cars, even if i exit a turn with more speed.

Have you tried messing with setups at all? Maybe try messing with the gearing or downforce...actually, I don't think any of the demo cars have downforce settings, so just gearing then.

Quote from myx :
My first post.

welcome

Now buy S2!
#4 - Venus
That's generally true.

However; if you are in a car that tends to wheelspin alot, one way of avoiding it (if you are not competent in handling the power) is to short shift. ie shift up earlier than usual. The best way however; is to not wait for the red light, but to learn what revs it occurs at, and how the engine sounds at that point, that way you'll anticipate the red light change and change right at it, rather than a reaction time later after you've seen it (typically 0.25-0.45s depending on your age).
I am much slower now compared to when I was younger (I was way better than average back then). Mind you, I also thought racing was about reaction times, but I am discovering how wrong I was... In about 20 years, I may even become a good race driver
Aha wow... Im 14 and got 0.187
0.3154 hahaha average, cuz the first one i was reading that thing in the square to click.. heheheh..
Quote from Impreza WRX :0.198

0.194 :haha:

And I feel old at 35.

If it was a keypress, I might have done better. Quickly clicking the mouse button just doesn't feel as ergonomic compared with hitting the enter key on the keypad.

Edit: Nope, you can hit the enter key..... 0.24x using the enter key.
I got 0.265s avg using mouse. I'm 13 IMO... My dad always says my reaction is tad slow and turned out to be true.

Well 2nd test didn't seem so bad but for my age I think it's abit slow.

2nd test I used SPACEBAR and I got avg 0.235s being most of the tries I got 0.219s

And the best time to shift before a race at Blackwood lined up and the grids is... SHIFT TO 1ST AND then HOLD CLUTCH. Let go of the CLUTCH when the light goes green
If you dont have the shift indecator on, you can go to the setup screen, go to info, and look at the xHP at xRPM then shift somewhere after that so that the rpm drop is about as far past that peak hp as it is below.
0.190 :d
Quote from zeugnimod :0.184

Good job Finally someone who beat mine.

As for the when to shift. Well I just shift the closest possible as soon as the red light goes on but I don't think it makes THAT much of a difference anyways.
There are a couple exceptions to this. For example, when coming out of the tight hairpin on SO Town Course, the acceleration zone is steeply uphill. In most cars you're going to want to wait a second or so after the red light comes on. If you shift right when it comes on, the engine will bog down a little bit and you'll be slow. Best to keep the revs as high as possible.

...when I just clicked on the button repeatedly as fast as I could.

When I did it properly, I got a .234 and then a .225 with my range being from .208 to .25.

*desperately tries to think of something to say on topic...umm...umm......*

I try shift at the light unless I'm approaching a turn.

0.211 was my average, got .203 for the last 3 tries.
beat ya all!!

1= 0.172

2= 0.187

3= 0.187

4= 0.172

5=????

avg ????? it restarted while i was copyng.. stupid site...
0.3136 my best. I had cold fingers while doing this though.
#23 - Goop
1. 0.547 (oops)
2. 0.187
3. 0.187
4. 0.171
5. 0.187

Average of 0.2558. Boy did this go off-topic
There's other exceptions, too. It's rarely a good idea to shift going over a bump or around a corner; a good set-up will have suitable gearing.
#24 - adin
please stop making stupid off topic

(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG