The online racing simulator
Ram??
(6 posts, started )
Ram??
ok i have 512 mb of ram i also have two slots for ram. i have a old old old!!! computer running win 98. i was wondering if i should take out the 256 mb stick ram and place it in my computer.

1. will it work??

2. will i get an increase in fps i get 30 most right now and will it b worth it to do so.

also do i need drivers or somthin?
1. Probably would work, but depends on the motherboard in the end.

2. No, unless your system is using up so much mem that it is currently swapping :P

Is it worth to do so? Yah, sure - extra free mem is alway nicer to have. 512MB isn't much these days.
#3 - Woz
I would say don't use it. The ram out of an old box will probably be slower and will drag ALL rame access down to the slowest speed, if they will even work together. Always match ram speed and type when possible.
I responded to your other thread, but not this one. As I said, I'm giving it a guess that you have the same HP machine I did, at least the specs are identical.

Like Woz said, it probably will slow your PC down more than help. I did this same thing as well. I had two 512 sticks of RAM and added a third that someone gave me. It was 512, but from an older machine and was a slower speed of RAM. It definitely slowed my computer down. I did several tests with the unofficial LFS benchmark replay as I changed graphics, added and removed the extra non-matching RAM, and setting changes. Adding the non-matching RAM stick definitely hindered my framerate performance rather than helping.
thx alot!!! ok i wont add the ram stick then thx for advice i played with settings and now i get 40 fps but 30 is fine for me
This old WIN98 machine of yours probably uses PC100 or PC133 type ram. Your newer PC prob. uses DDR or even DDR2 ram. In case I´m right your older stick physically won´t even fit in your ram socket.

But have a look. I´d give it a try.

This program then would get you the needed information about your ram speed before and after your possible upgrade (under memory).
http://www.cpuid.com/

Ram??
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG