The online racing simulator
I did order new upgrade
(46 posts, started )
#1 - JTbo
I did order new upgrade
So I did finally order small upgrade to my LFS machine.

Currently I do have:
AMD A64 3200+
1GB ram
Ati Radeon X850XT
MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Socket 939, AGP)

I did order:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2GB ram
Nvidia 8800GT
Gigabyte GA-P35T-DS3P

I'm bit unsure of which OS I will put, but I think I continue using XP, because my experiences of Vista are not very good.

Only problem is waiting, 8800GT is not seen on shelves here, could take really long until I get all parts
#2 - Jakg
IMO Vista is really growing on me, but i REALLY think you should vLite it - it seems a bit silly buying an "old" OS.
#3 - JTbo
Quote from Jakg :IMO Vista is really growing on me, but i REALLY think you should vLite it - it seems a bit silly buying an "old" OS.

Why to buy? I already have 3 XP licenses and all legal
#4 - Jakg
If you have a license "spare", then so be it, but at some point you WILL end up running Vista, so why "waste" moeny on an Operating System you won't use for that long?

Oh, and after spending my money on Vista i'm now in the situation of having a legal key for Vista Business, XP Pro and Server 2003, all free :P
#5 - JTbo
I do HATE Vista

Well, also I think that for next 3-4 years I don't need to upgrade for Vista or much any of my hardware as my gaming time is so limited.

So after that time I'm pretty sure Vista might work or there might be some alternatives in horizont already.

Oh yes, I don't play new games really a lot, Crysis for example is as interesting as mosquito for me
#6 - robt
can i have your old system? ill tell everyone youre the greatest racer on lfs
Quote from JTbo :Well, also I think that for next 3-4 years I don't need to upgrade for Vista...

The only problem is that Microsoft is already trying to phase out XP as much as possible...

...plus I'm sure after a year with the 8800GT, you'll be drooling to see what DX10 graphics look like, lol.
Quote from JTbo :I do HATE Vista

You do love the word do eh?

Nice to see you are going to run LFS even better. On my side of the ocean I'm still sutck with a 512mb RAM and some crap 128mb GFX
Decent system, keep XP, what I did. I did not want Vista hampering performance of my new/fast system in any way... XP feels a bit more 'raw'.

Vista isn't worth it still. I am waiting on their big service pack due in 2008, then I'll consider installing it.

EDIT: I may even be as so inclined to wait for Window "7", which is a long ways away of course.
even better - use linux

oh...i want ur old pc too! (bout twice as fast as my current pc! :tilt
I just found this, so I'll just put it here. This is by far the nicest theme I've ever seen for XP. I'm using the black version though. It even changes the startup screen and with NO after market software other than a quick .dll patch to allow you to use other skins.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs1 ... v5_1_Blue_by_tornado5.jpg
I don't see what's wrong with the Windows Classic theme. It may not be pretty but it gets the job done.
Vista + Windows Classic FTW

Leopard is even more fun though, silly Windows, without Virtual Desktops.
#14 - Jakg
#16 - Jakg
Thats the version (give or take little bit) i was using. Freaking love it - almost prefer it to Aero (Transparency looks a bit shit imo)
#17 - JTbo
I'm not too interested from graphics, I just would like to get steady 60fps in LFS with full grid and unfortainly my current machine is not enough.

I believe that I promised old system to mother so she can pay bills via internet and that promise I must keep

WinXP and windows classic theme, all visual eye candy turned off (like show window when dragging).

I have over 15 laptops with Vista so I have pretty good insight how that crap works (actually it does not)
Within a month of using Vista and my new system(similiar to yours, C2D E6550, 8600 GT), i find it quite good.. and i would recomend using it. The superfetch option is very good, it remembers your frequently used programs and aplications, and loads them in an instant.. so it takes me to open Photoshop roughly the same as it does to open Winamp.. It's a great thing..
When you boot it, and start some programs, memory usage can get to 700, 800 mb but as i found out yesterday when playing COD 4, when some aplication needs memory, for example a game, Vista will free up a memory.. So when i exited a game, i started task manager and saw that memory usage was 400 mb
Quote from JTbo :
I did order:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2GB ram
Nvidia 8800GT
Gigabyte GA-P35T-DS3P

LOL!, I ordered the same system too. only my motherboard is a Asus P5KC.

Can you tell me how fast Crysis will go on that system?
I'm just guessing, but I'd say pretty good, considering that my friend had close to that setup and a 7900GT and he can run it at reasonable setting with smooth FPS.
#21 - robt
Quote from JTbo :I'm not too interested from graphics, I just would like to get steady 60fps in LFS with full grid and unfortainly my current machine is not enough.

I believe that I promised old system to mother so she can pay bills via internet and that promise I must keep

WinXP and windows classic theme, all visual eye candy turned off (like show window when dragging).

I have over 15 laptops with Vista so I have pretty good insight how that crap works (actually it does not)

Ill swap you for my current system :P she can have that.
I got financially raped by Nvidia and their damn 8800GT.
Quote from spankmeyer :I got financially raped by Nvidia and their damn 8800GT.

raped? is it bad or good?
Bad.
Bad.

I did order new upgrade
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG