The online racing simulator
Witch computer to get?
(32 posts, started )
Witch computer to get?
Hi all, since my ''new'' computer died yesterday:weeping: im getting a new one via insurance. Now i have the option between these 2 systems. Witch one is better for LFS and TDU ect.?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+
2048 MB
500 GB
512 MB nVidia GeForce 8600GT

or

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4 GHz
2048 MB (2x 1024 MB)
500 GB S-ATA
1024 MB (max.) nVidia GeForce 8600GT

They are the same price €900

Thanx!
I would take the 2nd option, but I can already hear Jakg typing hard on his keyboard so he can tell you better than me
Quote from Smoky DRFT :Hi all, since my ''new'' computer died yesterday:weeping: im getting a new one via insurance. Now i have the option between these 2 systems. Witch one is better for LFS and TDU ect.?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+
2048 MB
500 GB
512 MB nVidia GeForce 8600GT

or

2048 MB (2x 1024 MB)
500 GB S-ATA
1024 MB (max.) nVidia GeForce 8600GT

They are the same price €900

Thanx!

Definately a second option! I just can't understand how are they the same price? That Intel processor is much much better..
Maybe just me that got it wrong, but I belived that AMD was better?
But that was back in time, like 5 years ago when I bought my computer .

Wait for Jakg, he knows what to do
Quote from The Very End :Maybe just me that got it wrong, but I belived that AMD was better?

The Intel's were always better, just more expensive..
Damn!
Remember the lad I bought the computer from said that AMD was much better. Damn, someone is up for a beating, tricked me for 5 years argh...
Damn I`m stupid..

Anyway, sorry going off topic, now back topic, wait for Jagk, he`ll save the day!
Quote from The Very End :Damn!
Remember the lad I bought the computer from said that AMD was much better. Damn, someone is up for a beating, tricked me for 5 years argh...
Damn I`m stupid..

Anyway, sorry going off topic, now back topic, wait for Jagk, he`ll save the day!

Well i had two AMD's before i bought this C2D, there's nothing wrong with AMD, if you are tight on the budget, they are great... but Intel really nailed them with these multi core processors, they are definately way better, people say..
Quote from The Very End :Damn!
Damn I`m stupid..

AMD and Intel have been going back and forth performance wise for many years. For the last couple years before the Core 2 Duo architecture came out, AMD was on top (7 years ago till the beginning of last year?). Right now Intel's C2D's and C2Q are blowing AMD away performance wise.
Your also comparing a quad core to a dual core. More cores will future proof you a bit better.

Here's a Q4 benchmark comparison of both cpus to help out. The difference isn't astronomical - but very clear. Results are red.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/ ... ;model2=922&chart=424
Based on just the information you've given us, the second system would be the better choice. AMD was better until Intel's Duo chips came out, which run much faster. Especially for a CPU based game such as LFS, the Core2Quad would be much faster. Not because it has quad cores (LFS doesn't take advantage of anything more than...1), but the Intel architecture is just faster.

However, I would urge you to check the details on these two systems before you make and decision. Sometimes it's tiny things that count. I would be willing to bet that the AMD based system possibly had other features that the second didn't (things like wireless, for example) seeing as the quad core Intel is a more expensive component than the AMD counterpart.
Well I *just* bought my parts and they should get here mid-week and I am hoping to build it by the weekend. This is the first computer that I am building myself, and the first that I bought all seperate parts. Personally I am an intel guy so that would be my preference. Here is what I just bought:

Intel Core2 Duo 2.4ghz (E6600)
nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
nVidia 8800 gts xxx (320mb)
2gb DDR2 (PC2 8500) RAM

500gb Harddrive
DVD Drive/Burner
Cooler Master Case
Cooler Master Power Supply (650wt)

It cost me $1150 (USD) Can't wait!
Sounds like a great setup. Hope everything works out well

Too bad you missed the 8800GT, lol.
Now that I looked into it more maybe I should have... When I was looking a week earlier I read reviews saying that the 8800 GTS was the top... I didn't get the Ultra (overclocked) edition as I didn't have that much money, but this will work
Yea, well it's not like an 8800GTS is SLOOOW, lol.
Thanx for the replies guys! The AMD from HP has a remote for Media Player and a tv tuner card but from experience i know the Intel(Acer Aspire) will come with a wireless reciever for keyboard and mouse. They changed the price this morning?!
Here is the link to the products its in dutch but you get the idea
https://www.dynabyte.nl/vergelijk/22631
#16 - Jakg
Quote from The Very End :Maybe just me that got it wrong, but I belived that AMD was better?

AMD used to be better, as it was kicking the P4's ass - now the Core 2 line has come along, and AMD can ONLY compete for sales with misguided fanboys and in the sub-£40 CPU market.
Quote from Boris Lozac :The Intel's were always better, just more expensive..

Debateable - a 3.4 GHz P4 might be "better" than an AMD 3200, but as they're not the same price i can't really see how that's much of a comparison.

AFAIK Intel never made anything that could beat a 2.8/3 GHz AMD CPU until the Core 2 line-up came along

I don't really "like" either of those computers, btw, as i think your paying a large amount of money for a frankly pointless amount of graphics card RAM (1 GB?! wth!), but that is the curse of pre-builts - fast CPU's, poor quality RAM and a rubbish GFX card.
Nono of course its not. I really can't wait to get the thing built and running. Hopefully no FPS problems on that card Price change for better or for worse??
Quote :I don't really "like" either of those computers, btw, as i think your paying a large amount of money for a frankly pointless amount of graphics card RAM (1 GB?! wth!), but that is the curse of pre-builts - fast CPU's, poor quality RAM and a rubbish GFX card.

I think you read through his post a bit too fast... both computers have 2 Gb of RAM...
Thanx for the replies but ive seen anohter computer witch i can buy if i pay i little myself Here are the specs. Hows this one?

3072 MB (2x 1024 + 2x 512 MB) RAM

1000 GB (2x 500 GB)

nVidia GeForce 8600GT 1024 MB (max.) + AGEIA PhysX processor

This is very expensive at €1200 But i might be able to buy it.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I think you read through his post a bit too fast... both computers have 2 Gb of RAM...

"nVidia GeForce 8600GT 1024 MB (max.)"

1 GB of RAM on an 8600GT is an appalling waste.

I would go for the first PC you linked to with the Intel - if you need more RAM, get 4 GB, not 3, PhysX cards are crap atm, too.
Yea, but that 1024 max is talking about the memory the GRAPHICS CARD can use, not the system memory...

... unless I'm missing something you are saying.
#22 - Jakg
What i'm saying is that thats a frankly absurd amount of memory, FAR more than the card will ever need, and that he's paying extra for "nothing" in effect.

I know full well it's his Graphics Card memory...
Thanx i probably go for that one then Thanx for the help!
Oh, ok lol. Sorry, I was confused. Yea - I looked at that too, and was like WTF, how does that make any sense...
Why are you even going to get a 8600 GT? Those things are pure shit (this isn't my opinion, its fact) Who would pair a Quad with a 8600 anyways...

If you MUST get one of those, definetly go for the Quad, much more future proof, and it really is a great processor (regardless of stepping)

See if you can opt for a different GPU (8800 GTS, or perhaps 8800 GT if you can)
~Bryan~

Witch computer to get?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG