The online racing simulator
A slight GUI modification
(11 posts, started )
I searched and did not find anything similar. I was wondering if it's possible to add dark backgrounds to GUI elements, to make them more readable? E.g. I only glance at the speedo occasionally, and that's precisely why I don't want to squint to discern what's going on. The tire temperature indicators already have it, so why not add them to speedo and tach? I don't think it should be hard to do, either. See the screen and note the readability difference (yes, I realize it's a very half-assed photoshop job):
Attached images
lfsguisuggest.jpg
I`m not sure if it`s in LFS or not, haven`t checked it out completely.
But if it isn`t, then it gets a solid +1 from me.
I often look at the speedo, to check corner speeds, for comparisons and experiementing. I know you can change the color of the white speed indicator, but it would be nice if it could be marked (as you did).
#3 - J@tko
I think that's a good idea. Also do something about the running order of racers, and put a background like the one on the 'n' menu. Otherwise, if i have the in-car view, I can't see the people who have names in black, cos that's the colour of the interior. (Not that I'd really need to know their names, but......)
Shadow would do, boxes are too much and boxy and ugly..and boxy.
LFS definetly needs a new GUI before S3 starts being worked on. It seems too out-dated, and simple, considering how amazing the game actually is.
~Bryan~
That's what you get for not using the cockpit view

You can already change the colour of the UI parts, so why not just make it bright green or yellow or something? That'll stand out against whatever background it has.
But what about us other poor soulds that ain`t using the damned cockpit veiw
Are we just left to die then?

I know you can change the color of the things, but would work better if it would be marked out, like the topic starter showed.
Quote from The Very End :But what about us other poor soulds that ain`t using the damned cockpit veiw
Are we just left to die then?

Yes, because anything other than the cockpit is a waste, and should be removed completely from LFS ASAP.

/runs away as the arcade brigade begin chasing with pitchforks
Quote from dropin_biking :LFS definetly needs a new GUI before S3 starts being worked on. It seems too out-dated, and simple, considering how amazing the game actually is.
~Bryan~

What's wrong with a quick and efficient simple GUI?
In most cockpit views the dashboard is too small, which is not realistic at all. I have a 20" monitor, and it's still not that comfortable to use, so I use the overlay GUI in all cases (I like sitting far from the screen). Plus, the wheel obstructs the view of the dashboard. IRL, you can move/tilt your head a bit and more importantly, rotate your eyes. In the game, camera vector is fixed.

Quote from tristancliffe :anything other than the cockpit is a waste, and should be removed completely from LFS ASAP.

When those flexible LCDs become widespread and everyone has a hemisphere screen around their head, I will subscribe to your words. As for now, I usually use the custom view which is roughly the same as cockpit view, but adjusted a bit for lack of peripheral vision. The GUI is already in the game, I'm just suggesting to improve its usability a bit.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG