The online racing simulator
why we love LFS?
(83 posts, started )
#1 - Gizz
why we love LFS?
ok im sitting here with my wheel in bitts, thinking why do i love LFS so mutch???

i keep a pretty close eye on whats new in the gaming world, and they seem to make em by the boat load these days, i have a wordrobe FILLED with games, but i only play on what 4??? on a regular basis, so what is it?? whats the differnce between LFS and the other boat load i have..

i was just reading some reviews on LFS and although it was getting some grate reviews and remarks, the bad things they had to say i actualy like about LFS..

the devs have done somthing that 999.9% of dev's/pubs refuse to do and that is give the player quality CONTENT!...

GRAFIX..... maybe one of the biggest selling points in todays gaming industry, imo its a sutch a shame, is LFS cutting edge?? by no means! is it ugly/outdated imo again by no means, the devs hit it PERFECT!, this meansthe game gets more people able to run the game, everyone is expected to run alienware pc's these days just to run tetrus ..

one of the things mentioned in most reviews was the menu's/layout in LFS, call me nuts but i LIKE IT! most games these days have stupidly fancy menu's were some programer has spent weeks and IM PAYING FOR THAT, now all thats fine the first time you open up the game (this goes for grafix too), but after a day playing it means NOTHING!, ill admit when i first fired up and saw the menu's in LFS i thought "hhmm bit plain" but to be honest i wanted to grab a car and go for spin, not marvel at a awsome menu comfiguration... i spend milliseconds in that part of LFS...

what im saying is the above means nothing after 3x of starting the game, i understand some people like top notch grafix, but these games are constantly pushing what's possible, thats grate but 9x out of ten there very unstable, and thats ALL they are grafix...

i have tons of games that have insane grafix but i dont play em, to the masses grafix is the kiddie! but we simer's are a special breed and LFS is at the forefront imo..

i open up LFS now and i can picture the devs saying "yea i know its not the prettest but come through here see where we HAVE spent the time", considering LFS is still not finnished we still have one of if not THE BEST! technical simulation model out there, tires/suspension downforce, you name it its cutting edge, stuff missing yea we know there is but i sit here now KNOWING that the devs are spending the time on the things that count, upgrading the tire moddel the aero model, adding this feature ading that feature, and not spending MONTHS on killer grafix updates and menu re-shuffles...

when a patch is released we GET SOMETHING! sometimes thats small somtimes big, but the word "patch" to most game devs out there means "to fix what we stuffed up in begining" yes we have had a few of these here, but VERY few and far between, these mutli million£/$ outfits knock out games with no sound and you just shelled out 50 quid! well all those millions sure aint gone to quality control has it???

when S3 hitts we will probably have updated grafix and god knows what else BUT it will still have the awsome content AND those grafix wont kill everyones PC's ....

so to cap it all off i love LFS becasue for once the some devs decided to put there time and effort into CONTENT, not flashy this and blinging that, plus it works sollid, they worked on what counts, and thats WHAT COUNTS FOR ME...

i wont shell out for those grafix munchin mosters of games again ill just buy 20 copies of s3 so the ones who deserve it get my hard earned doe not some nancy sitting in a office bigger than my house saying " will it sell???? grate that will do"
#2 - SamH
Nice post! And I'd say it sums up a lot of how I feel about LFS compared with other games too
#3 - Gizz
sweet marry your fast!!!
#4 - SamH
Who's fast, and are they eligable?

Sums up my feelings pretty much. Okay, so aero and damage etc aren't really cutting edge, but the overall experience is what I was looking for in a sim for years, and that hasn't been beaten yet for me by a LONG way.
#6 - J@tko
I love LFS cos it has a multiplayer demo ( for me!!), and its quite easy to just get in a car and drive, but mastering it takes a long time. Also, there's always new things to aim for, just getting that tenth here and there - its addictive!! Also, the people who play it (with a few exceptions!!!) are a great bunch and it has a really friendly community. Even more, it has half-decent graphics that don't mean that my frame rate drops massively!
One thing, and one thing (well, it maybe includes more than one thing, but........) is the "experiance" LFS gives you, nothing, BAR NOTHING, comes as close to simulating REAL racing on the PC.
i just love it, because its all so, Real, its hard, and, well, theres the great multiplayer bit, layed out very easily, and good to choose from, and of course, they great people in CTRA, etc. etc.
Quote from danowat :One thing, and one thing (well, it maybe includes more than one thing, but........) is the "experiance" LFS gives you, nothing, BAR NOTHING, comes as close to simulating REAL racing on the PC.

You mean, almost like "experience" but not quite there?
I formatted my PC a week ago. I borrowed a external HDD from my cousin and wanted to keep some files.

Believe it or not. I swear that I only put LFS in it and done.

The physics are just completly awesome. LFS is even better than those crap GTR and Rfactor.

Nice post btw, nice to read something good from a lfsplayer.
Pretty much sums up my feelings aswell, I like the "clean" look of LFS aswell. But the biggest difference compared to other racing sims is the driving feel, it's just miles ahead of other games right now. Car behavior is very realistic and FFB gives you plenty of information on what's going on.

Another thing is multiplayer, even Demo is lots of fun (did that over 2 years) but now after being happy owner of S2 license for 2 days, it's 10x better than before. Well...165laps of Aston National tonight.. go figure
damn. You have alot of free time?

I just started with real racing. I am a drifter. But Racing is just more exciting. But im still not a real challenge yet.

goodluck with your 165la. btw is it a league?
/offtopic:
Nah, I just ran 10lap races on Cone Dodgers server.
I Hate LFS, will do for many years to come
I love LFS coz ith has the best physics of car racing,others like rfactor and gtr's has nothing to do with simulation i say
LFS 4 EVA
2 things. I can imagine I'm racing a real car and it's consequently not easy to be good at, and secondly it takes about 10 seconds to find a decent online race most of the time (that's from double clicking the .exe). I've not found any other game that is so user friendly and efficient, never mind any other racing sim.
yup, easy to use and you dont need millions to buy computer to play it, plus great multiplayer and great community too! We all love it
#18 - Gizz
oopps i did forget to mention the MP aspect of LFS too, by far the best netcode of ANY race sim, and come close to being one of THE best,

thats also a good point its very easy to find a decent race, you get the odd.... what shall we say? primate? that decides its fun to take the side out of your car but since the devs tweaked the the kick/ban its a lot easyer to send em packing...

as for the community ..........

i hate you all ......... NoObS

i need a kuddle

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

hey ya johnpenn... ill be kicking ya ass again soon once get the missis to hand over the cash for me new wheel not easy i can tell ya
i actually reckon the graphics in LFS is better than Race/rFactor :P
i rather the devs spend more time on the physics than on the graphics..
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :i . . . . . i rather the devs spend more time on the physics than on the graphics..

I totally agree. I'm not much for stunning graphics and gorgeous scenes, I want good racing and a great handling car, just a few things I love about LFS.

Another is the super fast load speed, which is attributed to the simple, yet adequate, menus. Like Gizz said, after the first few times starting a new game, that stuff no longer matters.
'The Community' enough said really
In an LFS-car I simply feel that much more 'at home' than in any other racing game / -sim !

...and the same goes for this forum with its community !
When I'm cornering and I can feel the tyres let go without my seat actually moving an inch, I realise why physics will always WIN over photo realistic Graphics.

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling driving in LFS. Let the beta testing continue.
#24 - Gizz
Quote from JasonJ :Let the beta testing continue.

amen to that....

thats another good point keith brought up there... load speed!!! LFS is lightening quick, and just duno how the devs keep the whole LFS game so small in DL size, your hard pushed to find a medioca game under the 1 gig mark these days....

it seems all here (at least who have posted) agree that the grafix side of LFS is less important than the physics side, i just hope and pray the devs carry on walking the same road, and dont get all pollygon on us .... i just think its important the devs get the feedback to LET THEM know we are happy with the direction of development, am i 100% with what LFS currently has to offer NO! i want better collision physics, weather, living tracks bla bla bla... BUT we know THATS what the devs want too and one day we will get it i would put my house on it... im as happy as a pig in poop that LFS is in beta still, cus if a group of guys can give us this in a beta!!! (somthing the big guys carnt do with a fully released game) what have we to come????... what the devs have done so far with there available funds and gear is nothing short of superb...

it come to something when a new race *sim" (i use the word loosely) is released i dont even bother looking LOL, may have better grafix yes may have real cars yes may even have real tracks, but nothing can touch LFS for its realism and fun factor, and in saying that we can call our *game* a real simulator, if i want scienery i will go for a walk over the hill
LFS feels like a good old lether glove.

Yes it doesn't look as shiny as the new ones, yes you are so used to it, it's getting a bit overused, yes it's getting ugly fast...but MAN it fits!

I've tried and still play other "sims".
All is nice and dandy untill I come back and jump into an LX.
No fuss, no long loading screens, no frustration with wheel setup, just pure fun and control.

I guess we all love, hate and love to hate LFS.

BTW OP, great post.
Speaking of which, why is your wheel in bits?

why we love LFS?
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG