The online racing simulator
G25, Does the wheel work stand alone without the pedals / shifter attached?
What more is there to say..

Logitech G25, Does the wheel work stand alone without the pedals / shifter attached? I'll be NOT using them and wouldn't want to have em connected all the time..

ta,
N
i dunno, never tryed it tbh. I suspose it would work if you assigned the accelerate/brake to the wheel. Give it a shot.
Yes, it works as a stand alone unit.
I might go totally crazy and buy one to see what the fuss is about then.. thanks..
What wheel do you have now?
Homemade ball bearing really smooth really no resistance or springs or bungees at all wheel hooked up to a silly 4096 steps per revolution (shaft mounted, zero play ) encoder. Works but is a bit lifeless..

I just hope the G25 is smooth enough and has little resistance when the sim tells it to have little resistance. (you know how I rant against the DFP for example..)

There are a few simracers in town so if I dislike it, I can probably sell it on a at a 50 euro loss..
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I just hope the G25 is smooth enough and has little resistance when the sim tells it to have little resistance. (you know how I rant against the DFP for example..)

its fast enough to turn on its own at 900° dorfito so i think even you should be fine

fingers crossed that they have a new revision out by now that fixes the intial teething probs (not pun intended ... or maybe it was)
What sort of problems where those?
Compared to other wheels, the G25 has hardly any resistance, you can counter steer slides that you just couldn't with other wheels, it's so free and smooth. I had the DFP before this, it was like trying to steer whislt sumbmerged in a big bucket of thick gooey stuff , in comparison the G25 is like it should be, steering in free air.

I have to admit, before i got one i thought it was all just hype created by the fact it came with a clutch and shifter, but i'd say it's worth the cash for the wheel alone.
I'll take the plunge.. And indeed I already have much better DIY pedals and H shifter so those will stay in the box.. Fingers crossed!
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=14942

i dont think the vids are up anymore though

edit:
speaking of your diy pedals ... i read in autosimsport that someone turned your concept into a product with a very similar looking load cell
p35 pedals or somthing along those lines ... have you heard of them and what do you think about them ?
I bought a Load cell kit from Niels last year when he was selling them, i've modified my G25 pedals with it now and hung them upside down, it's pretty smart
I think those are the 'revzalot' pedals. Well together with Todd (TCannon) they are the only loadcell based pedals you can buy sofar.

I think I like TCannons pedals more based on how they look, even though you will reach the 30kg loadcell max a bit earlier with these pedals (leverage).

The good thing about using a loadcell is that it registers force. You can then tweak the 'feel' of the pedal by installing any comination of springs/rubbers/dampers you wish, the pedal response will be force sensitive regardless of the force vs travel graph.

I wouldn't use a 'heavyish' spring though, which Revzalot does seem to do. I use a piece of special damping foam (pretty hard) to get a nice progressive 2cm of brake travel at ~40kg that doesn't ''spring back up''..

If you get Leo Bodnars USB controller and buy / have a collumn drill (50 euro gets you one these days!) you can pretty easily make some decent pedals yourself, if you're into that kind of thing
Has anybody bought TCannon's pedal guide? It sounds very very tempting and certainly a less expensive and better route than a G25.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I think those are the 'revzalot' pedals. Well together with Todd (TCannon) they are the only loadcell based pedals you can buy sofar.

right i think that was the name
btw frex has a pressure sensitive system too in case you didnt know (not load cell base though)

Quote :I think I like TCannons pedals more based on how they look, even though you will reach the 30kg loadcell max a bit earlier with these pedals (leverage).

those do look a bit flimsy to me
trouble with most of these expensive units is that you cant just try them in a store or have a good chance that a friend has one of them at home ... anyway point is that im not sure if they really are flimsy but they do look like they are

additionally as you pointed out the specs of the load cell he uses are a bit on the weak side (not that i could ever apply that much pressure with my current office chair setup but still)

Quote :I wouldn't use a 'heavyish' spring though, which Revzalot does seem to do.

i noticed that too and got a bit worried from the look of that spring
i take it you cant really comment on how well it performs ?

Quote :If you get Leo Bodnars USB controller and buy / have a collumn drill (50 euro gets you one these days!) you can pretty easily make some decent pedals yourself, if you're into that kind of thing

its an option but tbh id rather prefer the luxury of not having to deal with that myself
If you're ever in the Netherlands, you're welcome to try mine

BTW first G25 impressions: uh oh.... (more later)

decent:
- well built (solid wheel feel / no bearing play, fixes securely)
- ok but slightly slippery wheel decent though
- still a grinding gears type feel but a lot smoother than the DFP
- also a lot less resistance compared to a dfp, you can actually turn it quickly..
- it is super value, just over 200 euro for all this decently build kit is astonishing.

poor:
- slow.. still much too slow. It is playing catch-up to the sim even at 720 degrees. Sure its early days after just an hour of driving but bah.. a bit worse than expected (I didn't expect greatness)
- delayed, partly because of the slowness..
- low res: holding the wheel in one position i couldn't feel a difference between 85% and 70% ff being sent to the wheel..

horrible:
- shifter! eek! close the windows, a gust of wind might make it select a random gear.. much too light and tacky.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG