The online racing simulator
Converting Lateral amplitudes to audio?
Since i build my own simulator with a subwoofer positioned underneath the seat i came up with the following ideas...

First i fiddled around with the sounds of LFS, I put some LFE into them. Now, when i hear the tyre scrub sound i can actually feel it grinding underneath. I did this in different ways so you get slightly other feel to different situations.

But all this is very artificial and not corresponding to information you get from the cars suspension which would be possible i guess with the use of outgauge.

Lateral movements of suspension and the body could be transferred to soundwaves which could be heard when played thru speakers, but more importantly could be felt through the seat in my case, or anyone with a decent subwoofer would benefit from this. Things like curbstones would feel very realistic this way and probably make a quite realistic curb rattling sound too.

My problem is, i can't program at all, but I am very much into audio and graphics. Would it be possible for someone to create some program, like a simplistic version of CarSoundRemixer, but to only generate a low frequency sound with suspensionbehaviour as input? A soundgenerator like a VST instrument, or some free synthesis generators for BuzzTracker (www.buzzmachines.com) are likely to handle such inputs quite well i guess. Different sorts of modulation could raise the output to more realistic levels.

This idea is probably not the most common thing, and not many people would die for it i think, but it's on my mind for quite some time now and haven't read much about it so i thought what the hell... lets post it. I hope i'm able to find someone interested in programming and interested in audio at the same time AND is able to see the need of this to be realised. When done properly, it could make it into the game itself as an LFE option.

Also, LFS really needs surroundsound, but thats something offtopic and nothing we are able to realize, thats for the devs to decide. It would make positioning of other drivers around you so much easier. I actually find it very strange it's not build into the game already. Also the synthisized sound of the car is actually 3D already but put out to only two speakers. There are different sounds mixed together, but they could all have their own position in a depth matrix, can't be that hard to do. Now we only got the reflection of sound against walls, which sounds absolutely awesome from time to time bacause it creates a wider soundfield, somewhat like flanger. Shame the sound of the cars itself are so damn narrow. Would be great to hear the gearbox slightly right from you in the middle, the engine in the front and exhaust from right/back. The car has to surround you as a whole, not as if it comes from without your PC screen.

Enough of this, i always seem to have ideas no one is interested in anywayz... Let's have some grass sigarette
#2 - kompa
nice idea, i'd like to see this happen. does the vst stuff use a lot of processing powahh though? even without a subwoofer/seat setup you could just use it to produce suspension noises? if it works good it might convince scawen to code these things soonish..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG