The online racing simulator
Unreal Tournament 3 Demo...
(71 posts, started )
Anyone tried this out yet?

Feels very much like UT2004 but to me that's not a bad thing. Performance wise, I'm very impressed. Runs great on my computer, all details high @ 1280 x 1024 (options are limited at this time). The amazing thing is, the performance is very similar to UT2004! That in itself deserves respect, as it's a totally revamped GFX engine. Nice to know that people with older cards such as myself don't need to be left behind when it comes to next generation games.

Basically, if you liked UT2004, you'll love UT3- if you're still in the mood after all these years. Be interesting to see what the full game brings...
Great! I'll try it out, i love UT
Downloading demo at the moment...when is full game out?
#5 - ajp71
Looks awesome, I loved UT2003.

What graphics card have you got Electrik Kar? I think my PC will still be too pre-historic
#6 - Jakg
Without sounding like a stalker, EK's got an x800 ATi from what i remember, which is from the same generation as the 6-series from nVidia.
Hopefully it will run alright on my pc. Love the UT series. Shame to hear its simular to 2004 thought they where trying to make it play more like the orginal.

If it doesn't run well, looks like i'll have to buy a new pc (still on agp for the win :X)

Oh and I thought it was coming out in the new year.
Quote : What graphics card have you got Electrik Kar?

Yep, it's an X800pro. My CPU is a P4 3.2gh. - 1Gb RAM

A little note: when I first started UT3 up, it stuttered quite badly, mostly when turning around. I quit out, installed the newest Catalyst drivers, defragged my HD. Then I went back into UT3, and it was still not real good. This was on medium settings. For fun, I cranked the texture detail to the full setting, started up a map, and it was really smooth! For some reason, the game didn't like medium texture settings? Weird. Experimenting further, I put the world/geometry details on full and again, very good performance.

I don't know what that was all about, maybe it took some time for textures to load into memory or something. Also, I noticed that menus were more responsive when I enabled hardware OpenAl in the Audio settings.
I'm definitely going to try this. I used to love UT

I'm now waiting for all the posts saying 'the graphics are great so I'm never, ever going to play it because that automatically means its a terrible game'.
#10 - Jakg
I'm not going to play it because i thought UT04 was a total let down and than GOTY edition still pwns even considering how old it is.
The thing with UT is that they got the game play nailed down in the first game. No need to change anything, well maybe add a few more gameplay modes. All they need to consentrate on is the graphics :P.

Jakg: I agree GOTY edition is ownage, still play it. But I found ut2k4 fun, just not as mental.
Downloading, thanks for the heads up

Hope it doesn't come with any securom shit though...
Hah.. I've never quite got the concept of putting copy-protection on a free demo.
Just have to ask, will my computer handle it?

My spec is :

AGP Geforce 6600GT
1024 mb DDR333 ram
2.7 Ghz

UT2004 mostly flowed great on my computer.
My advice is download and try it out. Epic are very good at scaling their games to run on all types of systems. From memory you didn't even need a GFX card to play UT2004- now that's customer care!
Wow
Well ok, then I`ll give it a try!
I can honestly say that Unreal Tourny 3 (demo)..........

PWNS!!!!

Bleedin fantastic...damn good map, bots are awesome...that 3 legged martian thingy had my butt for breakfast, dinner, AND supper!
GFX were superb...had everything on high @ 1680*1050...and didnt even need to see what framerates were...smooth as a babies bum

Looks like I might even BUY this when it hits the shops!
Hmmm, struggling to find a decent download link for the demo, can anyone help a guy out
Thankyou sir
fastest download i could find gives me 170kb/s...meh.
10 mins left, then i will see if i can run it on my pc.
UT wasnt bad in the past but i never came around to buy it.
maybe this time ^^

*EDIT* hmm...
i dont have enough space on C: since it wants to install something there too...
how can i change the path where it extracts the temporary files to?
ive got almost 2 GB free but after it has extracted the setup there isnt enough space since it wants over 700 MB there then...
anyone knows?
I'm not sure if my laptop can handle UT3 (Mobility Radeon X700) but I'll give it a try anyways. I've loved the UT series since I played GOTY. I've been reading they tried to make it more like GOTY and less like 2k3/2k4, which is nice. They got a little boring. It'll be interesting to see how the new game modes play.

Thanks for the heads up! Ironically I was just looking up this last night. Didn't expect a demo so "soon."
IMO its fantastic so far. The UI is a little rough at the moment, and the vehicles overpowered, but everything else is just great. The graphics are really nice and run much smoother than I expected, and the gameplay is as addictive as ever.

As I see it, the gameplay is a perfect balance between UT classic and 2K4. It has responsive movement, well balanced weapons, and I feel it should keep fans in both camps happy.

Once the bugs are ironed out, this should be an essential FPS.
I personally didn't like them game, it is too much like UT 2004 and after all the hype that its going to be great it really isn't. I mean dont get me wrong, level design is great, player models are great the game looks great but its nothing new. To me it's seen this and done that really and I am getting bored of playing the same games over and over again.

Weapons are too similar to UT2004, least they could do is come up with something new, levels look cool but again are similar to UT2004. I am sure the average UT hardcore nut is pleased with UT3 as it feels and looks like previous UT but for the average joe who is looking for something new and innovative I can't say is good.

Seems to me the gaming industry has ran out of ideas recently, too much of the same crap that we have seen before is being reworked (or re glossed with bloom).

I have just finished playing TimeShift, again another 1.2G demo. Game looks great albeit a bit glossy like if someone just polished the ground and every brick and object but its fun to play. Idea isnt original as we have seen bullet time before. I guess I will just have to wait for something descent..

UT3 however for me... is an average game.

mad

(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG