The online racing simulator
DFP making a lot of noise
(12 posts, started )
Ok so ive had my DFP for like three years or so now. Yes, i know that the loud whirring noise it makes is from the resistance created by the gears for force feedback,

but even when i turn FF all the way off, when i turn the wheel its really loud and annoying (and my parents and brother complain). i also noticed, when it was newer, when FF was off, it didnt really make this noise (or atleast not this loud).

So my question, is there any way i can fix this, or anything i can do to the wheel to dampen the noise a tiny bit? The only time i really have time to play LFS is like after 10pm, which just so happens to be the time that my parents set that i cant have any loud noises (music, TV, steering wheel) coming from my room, but id like to be able to play and not be limited to only 90 degrees, because of the noise it makes.
Even with the FFB off the motor is still geared to the wheel, so you'll still get the same noise when you turn it. It's unavoidable unless you want to open the wheel up and remove the FFB mechanics altogether.
#3 - dadge
sound-proof the room
start with sound-proofing the wheel itself. Or apply some grease(?) to the gears.
Has anyone tried placing some cotton/cloth/paper or some other soft material between the clamps and the table? I imagine a lot of the sound which can be heard in the room next door come from the rattling and rumbling of the table itself..?
i have a dish towel between my G25 and my desk so i won't scratch the desk. works nicely and never makes any vibration noise either.
My old Momo did something similar - the motor was coming loose on it's screws. 5 minutes tightening them up, and all was well for a couple of months (when the motor died completely). I still have it (a red one) if anyone wants it. £20 + postage

Try opening it up and tightening the motor screws (but not too tight if they're into plastic).
I don't receive my momo 'till tomorrow, so I'm just curious.. I hope it's not too noisy, because I live in a student hall and I wouldn't want to disturb my next-door neighbour too much.. But they'll have to tear it out of my cold dead hands to take it away from me anyway!

OT, I imagine the vibration reduction thing could also work for loudspeakers? I mean, if you place it on something soft instead of right on the floor the low frequency noise sound might be attenuated slightly over a distance..
Quote from Gnomie :I don't receive my momo 'till tomorrow, so I'm just curious.. I hope it's not too noisy, because I live in a student hall and I wouldn't want to disturb my next-door neighbour too much.. But they'll have to tear it out of my cold dead hands to take it away from me anyway!

OT, I imagine the vibration reduction thing could also work for loudspeakers? I mean, if you place it on something soft instead of right on the floor the low frequency noise sound might be attenuated slightly over a distance..

I do that for the sub in our games room. As we have wood floor in there, it shakes ALOT and makes it sound horrible so i nicked 20 of those little rubber circles that you usully find on the bottom of speaker stands, and then stuck them underneath the sub. It only lift's the sub about 2mm off the floor, but it helps a hell of a lot. No more shaking, and better bass. It also helps if you have thick pile carpet too.

I have never tryed putting a small cloth under my G25 clamps, i will do that as soon as my replacement arrives as i hate the vibration noise it makes sometimes.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I do that for the sub in our games room. As we have wood floor in there, it shakes ALOT and makes it sound horrible so i nicked 20 of those little rubber circles that you usully find on the bottom of speaker stands, and then stuck them underneath the sub. It only lift's the sub about 2mm off the floor, but it helps a hell of a lot. No more shaking, and better bass. It also helps if you have thick pile carpet too.

I have never tryed putting a small cloth under my G25 clamps, i will do that as soon as my replacement arrives as i hate the vibration noise it makes sometimes.

is that a c20let in your mini? your nuts
Hi guys! My old MOMO broke, and it seems that it's no longer available in Norway. Therefore my local store has to get me another wheel, either a DFP or a G25. I'm pretty broke, so I think I'll have to go with the DFP, unless there's a very good reason to justify nearly doubling the price to get a G25. One of the main issues for me is sound, since the walls where I live are really thin and I don't want to disturb my neighbour.

So: does the DFP make more/less noise than the G25? Are either of them significantly more noisy than the MOMO, which I think was quite silent?

And: is the G25 overall worth the extra $$ compared to the DFP?

Thanks!

-------------------
EDIT:: I found this little video clip on youtube comparing the G25 and DFP noise. Honestly I don't know which is worse. :lol:
I find the dfp, it isnt exacly quieter but i find that noise more bareable,

*Prepares for a death wall of G25 ussers coming to kill me*

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG