The online racing simulator
More than one driver over one connection?
Hi mates!

I have an important question. Soon, i'll live together in an apartment with 3 other university guys. Two of them are my standard LFS opponents. Of course we can fight on lan then, but is there a posibillity to drive online with one DSL connection?

It isn't because of the IP right?

Sorry for the untrained english

greetz,
Warper
The only way is if you all had 3 different accounts.
Maybe he meant that there is only one adsl connection in the apartment. And he doesn't know if it can be shared for more than one people. And I think it can be done, if you have an adsl modem that has more than one output (don't remember the right word for it...). Don't know if LFS allows this though, because (I think again) the adsl connections you have (3) are shown only as one IP to the outside... (?)
An ADSL modem with more than one port is a router ain't it.. ? You can share the connection with a router with nothing else added. Plug in the PCs and that's that.

If there's only a modem, there are several alternatives. Can use a hub, switch or a crossover cable (if it's a USB modem). The easiest way for 2 PCs is to use a crossover cable and make the PC with the modem the gateway (use ICS). If there are more PCs, I'd recommend a switch. Can pick up a 4-port for almost nothing now..

Not entirely sure whether NAT allows ppl to play the same game and whatnots but I don't see any reason why not.
We're using a wlan router - so the internal structure is not a problem. But of course we do have only one "cable and one connection" from router to the rest of the world

So, we definately have only one IP.

Greetz,
Warper
#6 - Chaos
I think that as long as everybody has his own LFS account and the DLS bandwith holds up, there shoud be no problems...
That sounds nice Would be cool to have an answer from someone who really knows that. Devs?
As long as the LAN is NATed at the gateway router, Everyone should be fine. This is precisely why NAT is used, to allow multiple machines to access the net independently.

It probably wouldn't work if the router was on DMZ because it doesn't route the same. NAT's the solution.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :... NAT's the solution.

Every standard router is a NAT router right? I think so..

Ehm, and the LFS Host doesn't have a problem if three players with the same IP connect? or is it only possible to drive online on different hosts?

Greetz,
Warper
Quote from Warper :That sounds nice Would be cool to have an answer from someone who really knows that. Devs?

Same setup at home: ADSL-modem to a wlan-router, which feeds five comps with precious data... And all can be driving at the same time on the same server (racing Challenge), allthough that is really laggy...
Quote from ColeusRattus :Same setup at home: ADSL-modem to a wlan-router, which feeds five comps with precious data... And all can be driving at the same time on the same server (racing Challenge), allthough that is really laggy...

but thats normal for austrian ADSL-access
in germany for example they get 6Mbit for the same price as we get 2 MBit (download of course)
Not a problem here, do have 3mbit down and 512 kbit upstream. Running a host for 5 online players without any lag.

Thanks for your help!
Yes, they all have it but it can be turned off to work in DMZ mode
I've done it before with 3 computers, 2 connected to the router via Ethernet and one wireless. No problems, i have 2MB downstream and 128k upstream.
Still I have only connected with 3 PCs/3 Accounts and it works fine (200 kb/s Upstream) - with 1 external IP address (via NAT) - with no voip or something like that, a lower upstream rate should work also

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG