The online racing simulator
Villeneuve to appear in Dega, Gordon not happy
http://www.nascar.com/2007/new ... euve.talladega/index.html

I kinda agree with Gordon. Talladega's not exactly a good place for rookies. It's like making a first start at Bristol, (which spells disaster). Brent Sherman, Juan Pablo Montoya and David Gilliland all had tremendous troubles at these two tracks (especially Sherman)

However, I'm still optimistic that Villeneuve will be fine. I'm just worried about the giant pack that you normally see in Dega. I really dont know if Villeneuve has enough experience to handle that kind of racing.

Y not pic something easier to race on like Kansas City this weekend
I think he proved himself by qualifying 7th on his stock car debut, he should be fine...maybe he will come off better than those over aggressive 'pros'.
Villeneuve wasn't that impressive in his debut, He ran right into Brian Scott's 16. That's also shown he does not have experience in heavy pack racing (which F1 doesn't provide as Montoya and Fittipaldi has shown in the past)

Also keep in mind qualifying and racing is two different things

In NASCAR, cars qualify by going out on the field one at a time. So one car goes on the track and drives 2 laps while the other 48 or so cars wait in the pits, once that car's done with its 2 laps then it heads into the pit and the car next in line goes up for its 2 laps, the cycle continues until all the cars has put in their time. Then the top 43 cars get into the show (i dont think Villeneuve will have problems qualifying). Qualifying NASCAR is no big deal. It's just you driving completely alone on a oval for 2 laps (big whoop)

Now, RACING, is different. Especially at talladega. I still dont know if he has enough experience to race in that giant pack of 43 cars. In Talladega, the cars do NOT BREAK up like you see on road courses. All the cars are constantly within 2 seconds of each other
I guess we will have to wait and see, but Villeneuve is a very fast learner, remember he almost won his debut season in F1 and did win his second season. I don't think he will do well in the race, but I doubt he will be anymore dangerous than the other drivers, if anything he might be more careful and cause less incidents. Anyway like I said, we will see...however it goes it will be entertaining.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I guess we will have to wait and see, but Villeneuve is a very fast learner, remember he almost won his debut season in F1 and did win his second season. I don't think he will do well in the race, but I doubt he will be anymore dangerous than the other drivers, if anything he might be more careful and cause less incidents. Anyway like I said, we will see...however it goes it will be entertaining.

Agreed

Bill Davis's toyotas are pretty strong, I think he has a very good chance to land a top 10 finish
Maybe Villeneuve will win the first race then never see a podium agian(remind you of something?)
i want new drivers into nascar.
Quote from mutt107 :i want new drivers into nascar.

NASCAR already has a good number of F1 drivers. Montoya, Villeneuve and Speed. I mean right now there's a great variety than before. Before NASCAR was filled with a someone's father, brother, uncle, cousin, 2nd cousin, 3rd cousin, etc and that got kinda boring

Both Montoya and Villeneuve are world class drivers, what more do you want? (plz dont say Ralf Schmacher)
lol i dont want more im just bored
#11 - th84
Not to mention Ricky Carmichael (sp?) who will soon be racing full time.

I hate to say this, but I agree with Gordon and the others. Talladega is not the place to make your debut, not in the cup series anyway. I would rather see him run the ARCA race if he, or his team owner (Ganassi?) insists on him running this weekend. Either way, I will be in the OV Hill North tower to watch the carnage if indeed he does qualify for the race.
Quote from th84 :Not to mention Ricky Carmichael (sp?) who will soon be racing full time.

wait.....WHAT???? Carmichael's going to be in the cup full time soon??

Quote from th84 : I hate to say this, but I agree with Gordon and the others. Talladega is not the place to make your debut, not in the cup series anyway. I would rather see him run the ARCA race if he, or his team owner (Ganassi?) insists on him running this weekend. Either way, I will be in the OV Hill North tower to watch the carnage if indeed he does qualify for the race.

Agreed, Villeneuve is obviously talented, however, tackling Talladega spells disaster.

the only track that's harder to race than Dega is Bristol.

However, I think the mentality is if Villeneuve wins THE TALLADEGA, then he'll have a promising carrer
#13 - th84
I think he will be in a full time busch ride starting next year, with the scattered cup race here and there.
Quote from th84 :I think he will be in a full time busch ride starting next year, with the scattered cup race here and there.

OMG LOL. You serious? He hasn't had much experience in stock car racing PERIOD. I mean his debut was horrible.

I can understand if Villeneuve wanting to jump the gun by joining NASCAR, but CARMICHAEL?? Wow
#15 - th84
Carmichael has alot of talent, according to Mark Martin. If Mark Martin thinks so, than I tend to believe him. Im not sure about what I said, which is why I said "I think", but from what Ive read and heard from Martin on one of the recent pre-race shows, Ricky isnt far away from a full time ride.
Quote from th84 :Carmichael has alot of talent, according to Mark Martin. If Mark Martin thinks so, than I tend to believe him. Im not sure about what I said, which is why I said "I think", but from what Ive read and heard from Martin on one of the recent pre-race shows, Ricky isnt far away from a full time ride.

Exactly what team is he apart of? Roush?
#17 - th84
No, he is a development driver for DEI.
Quote from th84 :No, he is a development driver for DEI.

Ah a test driver for DEI. It would be interesting to see him in the 8
Quote from mutt107 :i want new drivers into nascar.

Well you might get your wish

Dario Franchitti will start this weekends ARCA event at Talladega (along with Speed)
Offtopic: I wonder does Villeneuve really regret leaving F1. Just after he left things started rolling in the BMW team... of course whole another question is that would BMW renew his contract for this season anyway.
#21 - JCTK
Quote from deggis :Offtopic: I wonder does Villeneuve really regret leaving F1. Just after he left things started rolling in the BMW team... of course whole another question is that would BMW renew his contract for this season anyway.

JV didn't really had a choice to stay in F1 thru...
BMW wanted to get rid of him since the day they took over Sauber, and they only managed it after JV crashed rather heavily at Hockenheim...
#22 - th84
Quote from deggis :Offtopic: I wonder does Villeneuve really regret leaving F1. Just after he left things started rolling in the BMW team... of course whole another question is that would BMW renew his contract for this season anyway.

He may not regret it now, but this time next year I believe he will.
Quote from deggis :Offtopic: I wonder does Villeneuve really regret leaving F1. Just after he left things started rolling in the BMW team...

And just after he left BAR the team finished second in the constructors. Seeing a pattern here?
Quote from th84 :He may not regret it now, but this time next year I believe he will.

He seems quite confidence going in NASCAR. But I really dont know what he expects from Bill Davis Motorsports.

Toyota in NASCAR is improving but no where competitive.

I also dont know how good his #27 car is. Blaney's #22 CAN get good finishes, but Mayfield's #36 can barely qualify the races

I think this interview may answer your question

Quote from Villeneuve :

Q: Are you satisfied with your decision to move to NASCAR?

Villeneuve: Well, I was always excited about the prospects. But since I started testing, I've really gotten excited about driving again. I didn't expect it to be so exciting.

I wasn't missing it, when I stopped driving in F1. I had done enough and I got to a point where it wasn't fun going to the track anymore. It was fun in the car but as soon as I got out of the car, it wasn't fun. I just wasn't sure how much fun it would be to get in the car again. The first two laps of testing, my mind was made up.

Q: How much has the success of Juan Montoya played into the trend of open-wheel drivers coming to NASCAR?

Villeneuve: I think it's opened the eyes somewhat to the European crowd. I made my decision to try and come to NASCAR before Montoya announced it. When I saw him do it, then I thought, "OK, then I'm not the only one thinking about doing that."

Q: There will be times when you will face frustration in this transition. How will you handle that?

Villeneuve: Well, I've been through some frustrating seasons in F1. I think I've been through enough of them to learn how to bide my time. As long as you don't overreact. You have to keep on working, that's all. Keep your foot down, keep on working and not give up, that's the key thing.

Q: You're bringing in a new group of fans who may not know as much about NASCAR. What would you tell them about why you're making this transition?

Villeneuve: Why? Because it's good racing. If they followed me in F1 and enjoyed it, they should enjoy this show because the racing is amazing -- and it happens every weekend.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG