The online racing simulator
The Official Word: Speed/Villeneuve
(41 posts, started )
The Official Word: Speed/Villeneuve
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;...v=ap&type=lgns
Quote :--------------------
Speed to race ARCA event at Talladega
September 20, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Scott Speed is the latest former Formula One driver to move toward NASCAR, announcing Thursday he'll run the ARCA race at Talladega Superspeedway.

Speed will drive the No. 21 Toyota for Eddie Sharp Racing in the Oct. 5 event. The car will be sponsored by Red Bull, which has a five-year association with Speed.

Speed won the Red Bull Driver Search in 2002, and the program was designed to find an American driver to compete in Formula One. As the winner, Speed received financial backing to race in the Europe and prepare for an F1 ride.

He got it in 2006 with Scuderia Toro Rosso, Red Bull's sister team. He was fired from that ride midway through this season, and returned to the United States to pursue other driving opportunities with Red Bull teams.

Red Bull hooked Speed up with Sharp, who fields two Toyotas in the ARCA Series. Both cars are ranked in the top 10, and driver Michael McDowell is second in the points.

Speed will make his stock car debut in a third Sharp entry.

``I come from a completely different world of racing, so there's no doubt it's going to be a challenge learning how these cars handle,'' Speed said. ``But I'm ready to get out there and see what I've got.''

There was no word on what other plans Red Bull has for Speed. The team fields Nextel Cup cars for Brian Vickers and A.J. Allmendinger.

Speed is following Juan Pablo Montoya, who left F1 last season for NASCAR. He made his stock car debut in the Talladega ARCA race last October.

Former world champion Jacques Villeneueve is also making the jump from F1 to NASCAR, and he'll make his Truck Series debut this weekend in Las Vegas.

I'm currently excited about seeing Villeneuve in the CTS lineup this week. As for Speed, it looks like he answered Red Bull's call to bring him in NASCAR.

I hope they dont sack Allmendinger/Vickers, I like them both in the Red Bull cars. Maybe they'll add a #85 car
http://www.nascar.com/2007/new ... lleneuve.qanda/index.html

Villeneuve and Lazier (INDY 500 winner) are excited about getting into the series

Quote from Article :
Q: After all the success you've had in open-wheel racing, why take on this challenge?
Villeneuve: I live for challenges. I love competition. All my life, I've been competing, always trying to outdo myself. Basically, I've never been happy just being "good enough." I always think I can do a little better, driving to become better at it.
NASCAR's a whole new challenge, completely different than anything I've ever done. I didn't want to drive just for the paycheck. After Formula One, going to another form of open-wheel racing didn't seem that exciting. I've already done that. The only challenge that was left was NASCAR, and also the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but that was only one race, not a championship.
It's a big, professional racing series where the competition is amazing and they run very close to each other. I've spent many years where once you get to the race, you kind of know who will finish where and there's very little action during the race. That's not the case with NASCAR, so that makes it very exciting.

It's good to see that professional drivers have the open-mindedness needed to enjoy motorsport.
There sure are a lot of failed F1 drivers.
Quote from thisnameistaken :There sure are a lot of failed F1 drivers.

Lazier, Allmendinger and Franchitti aren't failed F1 drivers. They aren't even F1 drivers to begin with.

Although both Montoya and Villeneuve's departure was anything but grand, I wouldn't consider them "failed" F1 drivers. Montoya finished 3rd in the championship standing for both 2002 and 2003, while Villeneuve won a F1 championship in 1997.

Sure, you may argue that these drivers has lost their "edge" in F1, but they are anything but failed. Scott Speed would be considered a failed F1 driver

On a side note:
F1, ChampCar or IRL drivers showing interest in NASCAR - I think its awesome

Montoya
Villeneuve
Speed
Franchitti
Sam Hornish Jr
Dan Wheldon
Carpentier
Allmendinger
Quote from lizardfolk :Lazier, Allmendinger and Franchitti aren't failed F1 drivers. They aren't even F1 drivers to begin with.

I've only heard of Franchitti because he's British, I've never heard of the other two.

Quote from lizardfolk :Although both Montoya and Villeneuve's departure was anything but grand, I wouldn't consider them "failed" F1 drivers. Montoya finished 3rd in the championship standing for both 2002 and 2003, while Villeneuve won a F1 championship in 1997.

Montoya might've had a future in F1 but he wasn't smart enough to make it work, Villeneuve was extremely lucky to get that championship win in 1997 - he very nearly lost it to Schumacher who was driving a considerably inferior car the whole season.

Quote from lizardfolk :On a side note:
F1, ChampCar or IRL drivers showing interest in NASCAR - I think its awesome

Because NASCAR usually features one-trick-pony drivers?

That's not fair actually. Jeff Gordon is clearly a talented driver, but happy to waste away his career in a no-talent racing series.

Quote from lizardfolk :Franchitti
Sam Hornish Jr
Dan Wheldon
Carpentier
Allmendinger

Bunch of Chumpcar and IRL drivers. It's not like there's world-class competition in either of those series, so why bother racing them? NASCAR probably pays a lot better.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've only heard of Franchitti because he's British, I've never heard of the other two.

Well, duh, I can probably assume you dont watch North American sports.

Quote from thisnameistaken : Montoya might've had a future in F1 but he wasn't smart enough to make it work, Villeneuve was extremely lucky to get that championship win in 1997 - he very nearly lost it to Schumacher who was driving a considerably inferior car the whole season.

True, but a win's a win. In less talented hands he wouldn't have gotten that win in the first place.

Keep in mind Montoya's pissed off a lot of NASCAR drivers too because of his rash driving

Quote from thisnameistaken :Because NASCAR usually features one-trick-pony drivers?

How so? many NASCAR drivers came from road course backgrounds

Quote from thisnameistaken : That's not fair actually. Jeff Gordonis clearly a talented driver, but happy to waste away his career in a no-talent racing series.

Jeff Gordon wanted a open wheel career in IndyCar. But indy car passed him up so he landed in NASCAR. It's not really his "choice" but rather he was forced to. But I can pretty much guarantee that Gordon isn't regretting that now.

As for the "no-skill" thing. I can pretty much already guess that was coming because of the largely european people here. I'm not going to argue with you as I did before. if you think NASCAR or any other stock car racing series for that matter requires no skill, that's ur opinion (however wrong).

Again, you people cant seem to see the light.
Fact: Ovals are easy to race compared to road courses
Fact: Driving on a oval is easy
FACT: RACING IN A GIANT PACK TRYING TO GET TO THE FRONT, especially if 20 cars are all within 2 seconds of you is very difficult. Not AS difficult as F1 but still requires a great sense of racing. You obviously did not read Villeneuve's quote. Giant Pack Racing (which is non existent in road courses) is not easy at all and takes some form of skill.

Proof? Look how lousy all those road course people did in NASCAR. Christian Fittipaldi was creamed in NASCAR along with Japanese road course star Hideo Fukuyama. Montoya's also having a hard time (multiple DNFs already) and so is Allmendinger.

Quote from thisnameistaken : Bunch of Chumpcar and IRL drivers. It's not like there's world-class competition in either of those series, so why bother racing them?

No it's not, but it's not a breeze series either. Believe it or not IndyCar's well revered around here in the US. People would kill to get a ride in IndyCar
Quote from lizardfolk :Look how lousy all those road course people did in NASCAR. Christian Fittipaldi was creamed in NASCAR along with Japanese road course star Hideo Fukuyama. Montoya's also having a hard time (multiple DNFs already) and so is Allmendinger.

I don't remember seeing Christian Fittipaldi race so I can't comment, but there's been very few successful Japanese racing drivers, and Montoya is a ****ing idiot and causes his own "hard times".

Quote from lizardfolk :Believe it or not IndyCar's well revered around here in the US.

I believe it. But in the end, most of the people setting the pace in champcar or IRL are drivers who for whatever reason didn't find a place in F1. And they're pretty much doomed to race in US domestic racing series for the rest of their careers.
Quote from thisnameistaken :

I believe it. But in the end, most of the people setting the pace in champcar or IRL are drivers who for whatever reason didn't find a place in F1. And they're pretty much doomed to race in US domestic racing series for the rest of their careers.

F1 has always been insanely selective, and that's because of the prestige of the sport. Remember Sebastian Bourdais had SUCH a hard time getting a ride in F1. I mean it even came to the point where I though F1 teams were actually biased against ChampCar, Indy guys.

Remember Michael Andretti also competed in F1 with Ayrton Senna. While Andretti was no where near successful, he did land a podium in his last race.

Europeans tend to have this view that everything coming from American is crap. Whether this is warranted or not is a whole nother debate. But there's no denying that fact. stock car/open wheel, oval/road courses. Anything coming from American Europeans feel that they are superior.

While oval racing has a whole layer of complexity that road courses doesn't offer, there are people who dont know about it or just plainly wont admit it. Mainly because ovals were developed in America
Quote from Shotglass :no they werent

Ovals are the basis of American motorsports. I probably should have worded it differently.

American motorsports grew up with ovals and thus is a important part of our racing culture.

sorry, recently spotted this on TBK forums and I just had to post it
Quote from deggis :sorry, recently spotted this on TBK forums and I just had to post it

If that's Lichtenstein on the left and a shopping mall parking lot on the right they've got the scale wrong - they should be about the same.
Quote from deggis :

sorry, recently spotted this on TBK forums and I just had to post it

Point in case. Your forum actions/comments proved my previous statement. Whether it's intentional or something subconscious doesn't matter. There's many Anti-American/Anti-Oval sentiments that lurk around these forums.

But with this forum being mainly European F1 fans, I should have foreseen this.
Quote from lizardfolk :There's many Anti-Oval sentiments that lurk around these forums.

Ther have a good reason to be aswell
Quote from lizardfolk :There's many Anti-American/Anti-Oval sentiments that lurk around these forums.

how about your anti european sentiments that show whenever somebody is yanking your chain a little for funsies ?
Quote from Shotglass :how about your anti european sentiments that show whenever somebody is yanking your chain a little for funsies ?

While my statements are no where near being politically correct. It is acknowledged by America and Europeans, that it is the reason why American and Europe has so many schisms. Europe always look down upon the Americans. I know many people who uses ovals as an example to this narrow mindedness. They say "oh look the Americans are retarded because they go in circles for fun. We are so much better because we have complex tracks. Ovals = retards" I have no doubt that most of you will agree with this statement

Keep in mind I did not mention who's to blame for this. It is a neutral statement. I did NOT say that this is because Europeans are elitist snoobs, and I did NOT say that American deserve this sentiment because of our arrogance and ignorance to others. Which way the pendulum swings is subjective and I do not care to involve myself in a heated racial/social crisis debate.

You also cant say that my statements are completely unwarranted. I've visited both England and France to watch F1 and I had a horrible time. I was assaulted by a group of British punks targeting American tourists, and in France, I and a couple of friends were denied service of any public eatery. My only enjoyment in those two visits was the race itself. I did not press charges, I did not complain, I just quietly returned to the states. I dont hold grudges and still have many European friends. However, that does not mean I'll forget Europe's attitude
chances are you werent entirely innocent on these occasions
eg i take it you dont speak any french at all ?
It's not really a racing thing so much as it's a sports thing. Americans like their sports conveniently packaged just like everything else they consume. Ovals are neat because they're encompassed by a stadium, easy to televise, easy to understand for the casual spectator, easy to turn into a giant stats-gathering exercise. It's just like watching a ball game. With cars.

You lot prefer "gladiatorial"-style games, we don't. There's probably a deeper cultural reason for it that hasn't occurred to me yet.
Oh please. NASCAR is no more "gladiatorial" than F1, and probably less so than BTCC or Aussie V8s. Sweeping generalizations are fun and all, but let's not pretend like they represent reality.

In its heyday (late 80s-mid 90s) CART was producing racing as good as or better than F1 in roughly the same format. I'd say the levels of talent were comparable. The IRL/CCWS split really messed things up.

ALMS is a successful and entertaining series, and it's full of great drivers. Grand Am isn't quite as good, but the talent there is also strong.

NASCAR and open wheel leagues aren't really comparable--the skills involved are pretty different and the type of racing is incompatible. They are, however, the best in the world at what they do.
Quote from Shotglass :chances are you werent entirely innocent on these occasions
eg i take it you dont speak any french at all ?

Je parle français

Of course whether u'll believe me or not is entirely up to you (for all you know I could have had that translated). I took (or taking, I'm a senior) 4 years of French in high school and I have a friend who's mother speaks only French.

Provided my french is not entirely fluent or completely coherent like a native speaker (french is a very difficult language), but I think I'm good enough to order something from a restaurant . I also speak mandarin chinese (although I might have a hard time understanding a native speaker considering the wide variety of accents the chinese language has)

I live in Hawaii so I know a small bit of Hawaiian and I've traveled to France, England, Taiwan and Germany. I'm also planning a trip to Vancouver after I finish my high school career. I'm what you considered a well rounded American

What's to prove all of this? Absolutely nothing. For all you know I might be just some obese guy who dropped out of high school and thinks Holland is in the Middle East and Germany is in Asia It's really up to you to define what kind of character I am. There's nothing I can give that'll convince you 100% of who I really am (that's what's good and bad about the internet) but I will tell you this: I am by no means a racist. I have really no grudge with European people (if i did i wouldn't still be in this forum). However, I am known by people around me to be controversial and politically incorrect. This is mainly because I'm not afraid to express my opinion.

Lastly, I also do not appreciate the high amount of narrow-mindedness. I came here expecting people to have a wide range of knowledge about motorsports. Therefore, I expect most of you to be mature about oval racing. Were this any other forum, I would have just ignored any ignorant comment. BUT THIS IS NOT. This is a racing community where people all over the world bring their own experiences and taste for motorsports. Be it open-wheen, oval, drag, rally or drift. I though you were mature enough to avoid those dull repulsive ignorant attacks that a laymen would be expected to say about ovals. I can see I'm terribly wrong.
Quote from lizardfolk :I am by no means a racist. I have really no grudge with European people (if i did i wouldn't still be in this forum).

ive told you this before but back than it went completely over your head
neither americans nor europeans are a race ffs

Quote :However, I am known by people around me to be controversial and politically incorrect. This is mainly because I'm not afraid to express my opinion.

then why the hell do you get offended every single time someone expresses his negative opinion on ovals ?
Quote from thisnameistaken :You lot prefer "gladiatorial"-style games, we don't. There's probably a deeper cultural reason for it that hasn't occurred to me yet.

Small dicks.

e.g Little Richard
Quote from Mazz4200 :Small dicks. d

point in case again

Quote from Shotglass : then why the hell do you get offended every single time someone expresses his negative opinion on ovals ?

Negative opinion and personal attack are two different things. Ok, let me give you an example, how the hell am I not suppose to be offended by Mazz's comment?

It's very simple, the lot of you hate America/Oval racing and anyone who takes part in it.

Quote from lizardfolk :Lastly, I also do not appreciate the high amount of narrow-mindedness. I came here expecting people to have a wide range of knowledge about motorsports. Therefore, I expect most of you to be mature about oval racing. Were this any other forum, I would have just ignored any ignorant comment. BUT THIS IS NOT. This is a racing community where people all over the world bring their own experiences and taste for motorsports. Be it open-wheen, oval, drag, rally or drift. I though you were mature enough to avoid those dull repulsive ignorant attacks that a laymen would be expected to say about ovals. I can see I'm terribly wrong.

Quote from thisnameistaken :It's not really a racing thing so much as it's a sports thing. Americans like their sports conveniently packaged just like everything else they consume. Ovals are neat because they're encompassed by a stadium, easy to televise, easy to understand for the casual spectator, easy to turn into a giant stats-gathering exercise. It's just like watching a ball game. With cars.You lot prefer "gladiatorial"-style games, we don't. There's probably a deeper cultural reason for it that hasn't occurred to me yet.

This is kinda true. It is a culture thing

Why does Japanese like drift much more then other forms of motorsports?

Same concept

It's not so much as a "gladiator" thing, it's just that Americans want much more competition then what a road course can provide. Ovals provide much more competition at a faster rate (makes sense when you think about it). That's what Americans want. Thus NASCAR takes it even further with their playoff structure (Chase for the Cup)
Quote from lizardfolk :
Why does Japanese like drift much more then other forms of motorsports?

Same concept

But...drifting requires some bit of skill irl, It is also done correctly in Japan.
#25 - th84
Quote from Mazz4200 :Small dicks.

e.g Little Richard

LOL!

Lizardfolk, some people are just anti-American (such as naill09) and therefore are anti-everything that is American. You can really only do one thing about people like him.....nothing. Just stand back, point your finger at him and laugh. Nascar takes no skill? Why not some of you euro's make that trip across the pond and start making millions of dollars off something that takes no skill? To say it takes no skill is nothing short of ignorant. Its not like racing bf1's around the kyoto oval.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG