The online racing simulator
#1 - steve
warning about the act labs USB box
I was driving around in GT Legends, going through the gears, then all of a sudden I smelled something burning, so I look down to see the act labs gpl USB box was smoking, then all of a sudden my computer turns off. I think nothing of it then turn back on my PC, then to my suprise it wont turn on. That USB box just cost me 600$, thats how much I paid for my motherboard (msi k8n neo2 platinum) and CPU (AMD 64 3500+)back whenever, there both fried because the USB box starting smoking and doing whatever it did. Now im out of a computer until whos knows when because I have no job. I built that computer over the summer saving up my money from fixing peoples PC's. And now its gone because of something silly..
lol email ACT labs..
#3 - steve
Already have, wouldnt do any good though..
Probably from all those crazy modifications you are working on
#5 - steve
And what are those?
To be honest I can't see a USB device like that getting enough voltage to fry unless it was defective, or someone tried to be handy with it. But it wouldn't take out your CPU. The mobo maybe, if you know someone who is willing to let you try it drop your proc in their board. If it's a dead chip then nothing will happen, if it's not it'll boot.
#7 - steve
Quote :If it's a dead chip then nothing will happen, if it's not it'll boot.

Ovbiously, I tried it in my brothers board
Good job all the bits are still in warranty then
I had a similar like experience actually. Well, no smoke or dead computer parts, but the act labs USB-box died mysteriously. I had sooo much "fun" finding out where the problem is, because I never had gotten the shifter working before then. The box might have gotten faulty in postage, since I did buy it second hand.

There's actually 2 versions of the adapter box, I ordered the newer version from act-labs and my shifter started working
Quote from steve :Ovbiously, I tried it in my brothers board

Ouch. And that's also a first for me. Never heard of a USB device frying a proc before. Or a mobo. But odds are on the Act Labs disclaimer they will say "we are not responsable for any damage this may course" or some such. As it's added to everything by default these days. Just incase =/
#11 - OPK
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Ouch. And that's also a first for me. Never heard of a USB device frying a proc before. Or a mobo.

2,5" USB HDD´s can actually kill your USB ports if they pull more than 500mA.
But I never heard of a fried CPU caused by a dying USB device
Did you have any other USB devices connected? Do they still work? Just wondering if it might be something else (like PSU?) that had a fault and caused the destruction of the CPU, mobo and act labs thing?
Yes other USB stuff was plugged in, and theres nothing wrong with them or the PSU, it was the act-labs USB box, that went then somehow killed the mobo Ive contacted act-labs but they havent gotten back to me yet, I dont really expect to hear back from them either with the bad luck ive been having lately.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG