The online racing simulator
more slots for skins please?
(25 posts, started )
Could we have another 10 free slots for skins please? This would bring the total to 40. I'd be very happy with 40!
................ and people got mad at me .... for saying just a few more
Quote from XCNuse :................ and people got mad at me .... for saying just a few more

Yeah but you're from Georgia
Quote :
Could we have another 10 free slots for skins please? This would bring the total to 40. I'd be very happy with 40!

I'm happy with the ones we have... The next guy will be happy with 50, the one after that with 60... I mean, where would it stop?

If the Devs are willing to change this... Maybe we should have a poll about the amount of skins we wanna be able to upload. And then we should just be happy with it.

Don't you think so?
#5 - Gunn
I don't think a poll is required.
Quote from al heeley :Could we have another 10 free slots for skins please? This would bring the total to 40. I'd be very happy with 40!

Well, initially they where 20, now 30... thats more then enough IMO... imagine just if 10000 racers x 30 slots x(400kb for hires + 120kb for lowres) its 156000000 kbs.... more or less 156 Gigabytes , this counting with 10000 users... now imagine a few more
Quote :
I don't think a poll is required.

It would give the devs an opportunity to go for a majority vote... IF they are willing to change it. Otherwise it would be pointless, yes.
i doubt we will see much more.. i mean honestly.. the main LFS server is doing a TON now.. this forum, they're website, online stats and servers, AND skins... thats alot of bandwidth if you ask me

whats your point doorman heheheh
#9 - Gunn
Quote from TagForce :It would give the devs an opportunity to go for a majority vote... IF they are willing to change it. Otherwise it would be pointless, yes.

The thing is, details like this are not decided by vote. It's up to the devs to decide how much they are able to host per licensed racer. So requesting extra slots is a reasonable plea for some people, but voting is not going to change what is possible for them to deliver. Many people would upload one hundred skins if they could.
Quote from XCNuse :i doubt we will see much more.. i mean honestly.. the main LFS server is doing a TON now.. this forum, they're website, online stats and servers, AND skins... thats alot of bandwidth if you ask me

whats your point doorman heheheh

victor (or scawen?) said that this forum has its own dedicated server.
oh.. okay well then .. bring it on lol
atm we're not going to increase the 'skin slots' to 40. As SpiderX's rough calc already indicates, disk usage can become quite a lot, bigger than our hd is atm - though adding a hd isn't that big a problem. But bandwidth is and we need to be careful not to overload our server which as xcnuse guessed correctly is having to sweat every now and then (this forum runs on a another server though).
But the general point is that we can't just increase numbers and expect things to keep running well. We need to be careful with that. 30 'skin slots' we think is a good number that the majority will consider sufficient, while not causing a problem for our server. The idea is that you aren't going to use 30 skins online at the same time anyway, so juggling skins from time to time is the way to go, if you use a lot of different ones.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply. I wish some people could manage to refrain from attempting to flame people for asking a sinple question.
Quote :
The thing is, details like this are not decided by vote. It's up to the devs to decide how much they are able to host per licensed racer. So requesting extra slots is a reasonable plea for some people, but voting is not going to change what is possible for them to deliver. Many people would upload one hundred skins if they could.

Yes, of course, but I was talking about a poll made by the devs... from 0 to max skins possible for them...

Anyway, it's useless now anyway, since we have an answer... No new slots
Thnx for the answer Victor.
Quote from TagForce :It would give the devs an opportunity to go for a majority vote... IF they are willing to change it. Otherwise it would be pointless, yes.

Since when was LFS a democracy? They give, or not give, whatever space they think is right. I bet the majority vote would always be for 'more'
Quote from XCNuse :whats your point doorman heheheh

It got a heheheh out of you. Point enough eh?
btw, just buy a second S2 license, and you get another 30 slots if you need it so bad
np, don't need it that bad
Quote :
Since when was LFS a democracy?

Since when has a democratic vote been out of the question even if it is the devs who ultimately decide...
If it's not a democracy... Then why do the devs even bother to give us a forum? Right... To have a place to listen to their users... This is more of a democracy than the frikkin government that rules my (and Vic's) country.
Yes, it is the devs who decide... That doesn't mean they don't listen to the people here... That doesn't mean that they shouldn't ask us our opinion...
That kind of stuff is best left to other devs and pubs...

Besides, it was a suggestion, nothing more
What about ingame lfsworld uploading?
Slightly off subject, but Victor is there anychance of changing the the max size for the skins from 512 to 1024 in the near future? this auto downloaded has worked so well, and proved to be so efficient, wonder if its possible for peeps like me who want to see the real quality of people's work..

As for skin slots, im happy for the mo with 30, gives me enough to double up on league skins on certain cars, and i think 40 would be enough overall..
incognito - great avatar! Tell me its story ...

lible - good idea about uploading in-game

Gopher - dude, your sig is HUGE!

Um .. nothing else to say. G'night all
Given that I create skins, I'd very much like to see the number of uploadable skins increased. Yet I'm obviously aware how much this would eat into the server storage; my 30 skins are currently taking up at least 12MB on the server. Multiply this by lots of S2 licenses and you've soon got a very full set of drives!

19 out of 30 skins have gone to team skins (18 cars plus a helmet). This only leaves 11 slots left, which quickly filled up with other skins I've created. I haven't got any room, for example, to put up 'guest' team cars without names on.

How many would I like? 40 - until I fill those up. Then 50, until I fill those up. And so on.

The solution? First - how many people do most players use/need? (Not skin designers, but normal racers.) Is thirty enough for most people?
If so, then I'd like to see a 'gentleman's agreement'. For those people who need extra skin slots, they send an application to a mod via an online form in the LFS desktop requesting extra slots and why they need them (perhaps including some skins to illustrate they're a skin designer). If the request is accepted (I'm not suggesting judging on artistic merit - that's totally unrelated to this issue) then bingo, their number of skin slots is increased.
Obviously (unfortunately) this is open to abuse.

The second option, less open to abuse, is to be able to purchase extra skin slots. Say, a couple of pounds to double the size of your upload capacity. Thus, if you want the extra space, you've paid for it.
However, the downside is that this effectively penalises people like myself who're putting time and effort into the game and creating extra resources.

Anyone got a better idea?
What would be great is if we could come up to have an alternate skin server that can be provided by skin makers, there's many of us who have a lot more skins than just 30, even if coordinating with other people to upload their skin and all those work-arounds.

For instance, I, for one, wouldn't mind uploading all my skins to my server and the game also grabbing them from there, or also LFS having extra slots for sale in the worst case scenario, if the price is reasonable, I would very likely take it.

Just my 2 cents

Sergio
And what if we would totally decentralise the skins? Like the skin I use is uploaded to the server I play on, and this server then would distribute it to the other racers.

Sure it will increase the load of the individual servers, but would definately relax the lfsworld server...

Another, similar solution would be a "cache" on LFSW: You can still store skins at LFSW, but you have also one slot "cache" which will automatically upload the skin you use, if it is not one of those you uploaded manually. And this cache would be automatically overwritten if you chose another skin which isn't uploaded... So basically it works just like it works now, except the software takes care a little for your comfort. And by still having 30 (or 29, if you don't add the cache to the existing ones) static slots, you still could have your favourite and teamskins up all the time, reducing your serverjointime and bandwith usage...

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG