Marcus Grönholm retires
(35 posts, started )
Marcus Grönholm retires
Thirty-nine-year-old Grönholm said the decision was difficult, but he believed the time was right as he wanted to retire while still at the top level of the sport. This season he has already won five rallies to open a 10-point lead in the drivers' championship with five rounds remaining, and help the Blue Oval build a 46-point lead in the manufacturers' standings.

"This has been an incredibly hard decision for me to make," said Grönholm. "Rallying has been my life for so many years and when the Monte Carlo Rally comes round in January to start next year's championship, it will feel strange not to be there. But the time is right for me to finish now. I wanted to stop while I still had the speed to win rallies. I didn't want to leave the decision too late so that I wasn't capable of winning any longer.

"This will allow me to spend more time with my wife and three children. They have fully supported me all the way through my career and I would like to thank them for that. I could not have achieved what I have without their encouragement. Now this decision is made, I want to concentrate on the remaining five rounds of the season. We lead both the drivers' and manufacturers' championships and I would like nothing more than to end my career with another title," he said.

More: http://mgr.fi/news.php

This was expected though. Mostly I'm gonna miss his already legendary quotes... I just wish WRC doesn't become Loeb domination again.

Well i hope he does well this season a win would be the best send off..

Hope he takes the title this year.
Yeah, i hope he wins too.

Can't help but like the guy, and there's something about the Finnish sense of humour that's really engaging. ( they're all barking yunno )

Quote from deggis :I just wish WRC doesn't become Loeb domination again.

But who can challenge him ?
I think Hirvonen could be able to battle Loeb next year, I would say Atkinson too, but we know all too well, that the subaru aint running too good lately.. Well, I think Gronholm made a wise choice, but still, really sad, because at the moment he is my favorite rally driver for sure.. But what interests me most is who will take his place in Ford I mean, Gronholms car is really up to speed...
No more funny quotes
TBH .. I dont see Petter as a contender for 1st place anymore, on the podium yes, but not for a win, I mean, with all these troubles, wich have gone on for oh so long, and the fact, that the new subaru doesnt look too promising, I dont think he can pull of a champion title next year.. Besides, Chris Atkinson has topped Solberg this whole season (I think).. But if all goes well, he could probably be very fast again, but the consistency...
I am all four for Marcus winning the title this year
And in all honesty, I believe, that Marcus deserves and IS the champion this year He just has to top LOEB!
Marcus is a legend.. For him to go will be sad, but, at least hes still winning when he leaves.
#9 - EmilO
Sad i liked him
Its just classic isn't it hahahahah
Solberg may be fast next year, you never know. Subaru will have a new car, remember that (the hatchback style everyone else uses, which seems to be better)
Btw, do you know why there is so much difference in speed and consistecny in the top ? I once heard one years budgets from a rally driver, and it was smthing like this, ford 26k subaru 6k and citroen almost 100k . (I just remember the numbers 6 20smthing and 5times more was citroens budget) ...
Well, but , well, I think that the new subaru wont be better, I mean, ehh.. Will see :P I didnt mean to put Solberg down, its just that, It's kinda hard to believe that he will just like that jump in the fight for 1st place..
Marcus is funny as hell
Hadn't seen much of those English bits, man those cracked me up. He is a character alright.

Of course it's a shame he leaves, but it's was bound to happen some day and better to do it once you still can win and are on the top. Who can fight with Loeb next season? Well, Solberg has been all over the place for a while, complaining the car won't work but at the same time Atkinson doesn't have much trouble with it. Hirvonen has been the solid third after Marcus and Loeb, so if he can't pick up some speed and well, get better, I don't see him as a challenger either. It's hard to tell, seems like there won't be any competition next year again, Loeb is extremely gifted and great good driver and there doesn't seem to be anyone good as him driving next year. But we will see, and I too hope that Grönholm wins this season. We haven't had a Finnish champion in a while. :P
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :This is funny, but so odd. Is he joking? I can't tell.
He thinks a stone got inside the car, and somehow into his jumpsuit, and up his rectum??!
Marcus has a wild imagination!?

Far as I can remember it was a metal piece of the car that actually hit him. You see, English isn't the main language over here, so few mispositioned prepositions make that thing sound so wrong and not what he actually meant, and the hand gesture of course.

Pure classic.
They hit a big stone which broke a metal bar under the car/seat, and pushed it up through the seat.
I think Loeb'll have no one to challenge him next year +he'll win this season too. The new subaru looks strange to me, i liked the old one a lot better ( looks wise ) , but if they can get finally rid of the technical failures then maybe Petter can win a few rallyes .
Gjargh.. Can noone see Hirvonens progress? I mean, he is too inexperienced yet, in Norway, it was a new rally for everyone, and he totally matched gronholms and loebs pace there.. So my vote is that the top contender will be Hirvonen..
I think Gronholm still has a couple of top notch seasons left in him with the Focus. Now I want him to win although I don't usually pull for him.

This will suck.
@ evilgenius
I'm a big fan of Mikko but simply put he won't be such an "alien" as Löeb in the next season. He'll probably claim the 2nd spot and that's it. I hope there'll be some fresh blood in the championship and that finally subaru will rise from ashes ... but i'll miss Grönholm so much damit =(
Wow thirty-nine, didn't realise he was so old (not that 39 is old), but then again, he does seem to have been around forever. He's like the consistent presence in WRC, always there, always driving the wheels off it, and always saying something amusing, or something not that amusing in a very amusing way. It's a shame he's stopping, since there aren't exactly many characters in WRC these days.
Quote from ACCAkut :They hit a big stone which broke a metal bar under the car/seat, and pushed it up through the seat.

It was actually one of those metal rods used to hold up the red and white tape, that was knocked over. He run over one end, knocking the other up in the air and "Up in the ass of Timo"
Well, I think that Hirvonen will become an alien next year Because, there are quite a few rallies left this year And he will feel obliged to rise to the challenge, cause of Gronholms leaving... Sad tough, cause it definetly looks like he could go on just as long as Carlos Sainz. But to leave out on top probably is the best way to end such a magnificent career
Quote from sinbad :Wow thirty-nine, didn't realise he was so old (not that 39 is old), but then again, he does seem to have been around forever. He's like the consistent presence in WRC, always there, always driving the wheels off it, and always saying something amusing, or something not that amusing in a very amusing way. It's a shame he's stopping, since there aren't exactly many characters in WRC these days.

So your telling me Gigi Galli isn't a Character? :O FACISM!

Marcus Grönholm retires
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG