The online racing simulator
#76 - J.B.
Quote from Boris Lozac :
So, basically if i'm using it's native resolution everything is fine, desktop wise? What about games, is scaling really bad if i put some 1280 resolution or something. I remember that game's looked fine and the same as on CRT if i put 800x600 instead of 1024x768 native..

Yep, that's a big difference between LCD and CRT. In short:

-If you want to use a different resolution than 1680 x 1050 the image will have to be scaled, which is bad due to the poor scalers that PC monitors use.

-If you have an Nvidia card you can get the card to do the scaling which will preserve the aspect ratio and be better quality than monitor scaling.

-If you have an ATI card the image will always be distorted unless it's 16:10.

-If you have a HP w2207 AND the signal has a smaller aspect ratio than 16:10 you can let the monitor do the scaling without AR distortion. This function is broken for AR > 16:10 though.

-Connecting external devices like PS3, Xbox 360, HDTV decoder etc. is a no no for all 22" screens as they will all distort it.

-DScaler will be fine as it doesn't rely on any other hardware to do the scaling. It even has a nice black bar detection setting that will automatically zoom in on widescreen broadcasts.

So basically, if you care about AR, 22" may not be the perfect solution. If you don't give a ff, like most people, the Samsung should be fine.
I love my 22" while playing LFS.

When I go back to my 19" everything is so small, width wize, it's really hard getting used to being so confined haha.

Also I use it for my 360, and although 1050x1680 isnt supported, it isn't distorted and looks fantastic.
#78 - J.B.
Quote from FC3SCorey :
Also I use it for my 360, and although 1050x1680 isnt supported, it isn't distorted.

Yes it is.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Ok, thanks guys, i will probably get one if i manage to sell my 15" oldie..
Btw is it too much/little to sell a 3 year old 15" LG 1520B LCD for 50 euros? It works perfectly fine.. http://www.megaopt.com.ua/images/item/18738.jpg

I'd keep it as a spare and/or monitor for any other system you might eventually put up - but that's me..
Quote from Tweaker :I cannot stand LCD screens that are 1680x1050 native or less, that resolution is crap if you are into doing graphics or need plenty of workspace. Buy something new with much higher res, those old low-res screens are at the bottom of the market really. The Samsung 223BW is at 1680x1050, and for a 22" screen, that is really low. Not worth it.

Imho multiple monitors are even better for working than a single high res monitor. With 1920x1200 for example you still can't really fit multiple programs to the screen at once or you have to use too small windows.
I agree on you about 22" monitors in a working environment. I'd go for 20" or 24" instead there. But for gaming the resolution isn't that important so if you mainly use your computer for that, 22" can be a good option.
Pixels per euro is quite a lot smaller in 24" monitors than in 20/22" monitors.
Two small windows of 960 width? That is plenty, and I am a web designer who uses two such windows side by side because they both will fit a fairly standard width for design. Even if I choose not to do that, what ever happened to just alt+tabbing? Because of that, I don't understand why having 2 monitors is really needed. I used to have such a setup, but I found it useless, and just bonus e-penis to be honest. About 10% of the time I found myself using the 2nd monitor for the added benefit of just putting Winamp on the other side, and/or my browser window in the 2nd screen if I made any changes to a website I was working on. When instead, I found myself wanting to work on ONE single screen and just use alt+tab to see my changes. It's not so hard to do that.

There is a real common misconception for most users out there that having a 2nd screen will make you develop faster and have 'more room' for other windows. Bullshit I say. It really is down to someone having claustrophobia of windowed apps layered on top of one another so they cannot see them all at the same time. Personal preference and gripes in my opinion. Having a 2nd screen does not make you any more professional than that of someone with just one screen.... nor would you save any time having a multiple screens with most common applications of design.

Now if you are a game programmer or video editor, I can see the use for a second screen. Naturally those job titles would make a 2nd screen a requirement, however it doesn't make using only one screen obsolete.
Quote from Tweaker :When instead, I found myself wanting to work on ONE single screen and just use alt+tab to see my changes. It's not so hard to do that.
There is a real common misconception for most users out there that having a 2nd screen will make you develop faster and have 'more room' for other windows.

Having worked for years with a single monitor setup - nothing fancy in terms of resolution or actual screen size - I had the problem you mention initially when I switched to a dual monitor setup, especially since I'm a manic alt-tabber.

However I slowly managed to get my workflow and workspaces in programs to accomodate for a dual monitor setup. Not saying that what you say is wrong or bad - just that it doesn't work that way for me atleast. For home use I'd probably stick to a single screen though.
If you can get away from low-end, only display worth buying is Dell 24-incher and up. That is if you pull a lucky number and get an IPS-panel...
I do programming myself and I have found multiple screens rather usefull. You can have the resource material/debug window on another screen and the development tools on the other. I find alt-tabbing quite annoying, especially when you only want to have quick look at the material and do the code according to that. I don't like overlapping windows either, because you still have to go back and forth a lot.
But as you said it's a matter of personal preference, the reason my last post starts with imho (=in my humble opinion).
Quote from spankmeyer :If you can get away from low-end, only display worth buying is Dell 24-incher and up. That is if you pull a lucky number and get an IPS-panel...

The old Dell 2407 was the one to 'get lucky' with for an IPS panel. But they have their new 2407-HC out, and rest assured it IS an IPS panel +many refinements. I bought it .

Strange thing is, when I was unpacking it, the monitor stand had some checkmarks from the factory for what model it was intended to be used on... there was an empty checkmark that said "2408" :banghead: lol. Perhaps they will have yet another model.
Quote from geeman1 :I do programming myself and I have found multiple screens rather usefull. You can have the resource material/debug window on another screen and the development tools on the other. I find alt-tabbing quite annoying, especially when you only want to have quick look at the material and do the code according to that. I don't like overlapping windows either, because you still have to go back and forth a lot.
But as you said it's a matter of personal preference, the reason my last post starts with imho (=in my humble opinion).

I agree there, the majority of computers in my department (Electronics and Computer Science) at uni have dual screens, in fact they have recently given a lot of them dual widescreens but rotated to portrait mode so the viewing area is nearly square, which for programming is quite a nice setup, I find I get used to dual screens pretty quickly.

At home I use just the single 20" (would never get a 22" myself, for the reasons that they dont make quality 22" panels, and the larger dpi (I hate large dpis). That said, I wouldn't mind a nice 24" - hell, why not make it a 30" :P
Just bought a Samsung 223BW... I LOVE IT!
When i'm at home i mostly just browse the net, listens music, watch videos and play LFS.. so for me, it is one hell of a monitor, and LFS is HUUUGE, i finaly see my left mirror! :elefant:
I saw a 28" 1920x1200 lcd, looked pretty nice for $600.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and for work, I couldn't function without 2-screens. CAD and/or other apps on 1 screen and inevitably a spreadsheet on the other.
Quote from Tweaker :The old Dell 2407 was the one to 'get lucky' with for an IPS panel. But they have their new 2407-HC out, and rest assured it IS an IPS panel +many refinements. I bought it .
<snip>

The LCD thread on AnandTech Forums and the monitor list on Widescreen Gaming Forum both state that the 2407WFP-HC is an S-PVA panel, not IPS (or S-IPS, or any other variants).

It appears that the only two IPS panels Dell makes are the 2007WFP (unless you get the PVA version instead as a result of the panel lottery) and the 3007WFP(-HC).

http://forums.anandtech.com/me ... 2049206&enterthread=y
http://www.widescreengamingfor ... .php/Master_Monitors_List
Quote from J.B. :Yes it is.

I also tested a 360 with my 22" Wide and it works perfect, I dont see any downside or problem with the image.
Quote from Powered by AMD[ARG] :I also tested a 360 with my 22" Wide and it works perfect, I dont see any downside or problem with the image.

do you have black bars at the bottom and top with the 360 ?
i dont remember, and I sold the 360 1 month ago
When I get an other one somewhere in the time, ill post here to clarify this.
To be honest i think the 4:3 ratio looks to squashed at the size

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG